Q701 impressions thread
May 12, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #2,971 of 9,603
In my opinion, the timbre of the piano on the Q701 is slightly off possibly due to frequency response variation up high and roll-off down low. I prefer the way Sennheiser and Audio Technica handle piano. I prefer AKG's rendition over Beyerdynamic, however.

To add on, if you google Bloated Bass, I think the first page would be the DT880 Pro. Just my opinion, beyers aren't great. The T1 however, is fantastic.

May 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #2,972 of 9,603
Quote:
I don't want to go too long separated from this thread, so...

How does piano sound on the Q701s to you guys? I listen to (and play) the piano a ton, and its easily my favorite instrument
biggrin.gif

A little bright, you may find that you prefer something a touch more neutral like the Beyer DT880 for piano.
I assume you are listening to Classical music?

May 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #2,973 of 9,603
Nah, I don't like darkness. Even when I'm playing a 9 foot Steinway in real life, it just feels like it lacks too much treble.. and something else. I really need to figure out why I hate how real life sounds...

Anyways, so I was deciding on my color, and I remembered one of my college's color is green, and the hallways throughout the dorms are lime green. So, I have decided which color headphones to get!

May 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #2,979 of 9,603
Quote:
I don't want to go too long separated from this thread, so...

How does piano sound on the Q701s to you guys? I listen to (and play) the piano a ton, and its easily my favorite instrument
biggrin.gif

I also play piano and listen to a lot of piano music, and love piano on the Q701s.

May 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #2,982 of 9,603
Quote:

Is this conventional wisdom?  I find the Q701 more neutral and the DT880 on the bright side....

Most people hear the DT880s as brighter.

But Chris J isn't most people...
tongue_smile.gif

May 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #2,984 of 9,603
Quote:
I heard the 880 as much darker. It seamed all bass to me

Sure you're not confusing it with the DT770?  DT880 is anything BUT dark .....

May 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #2,985 of 9,603
Quote:
A little bright, you may find that you prefer something a touch more neutral like the Beyer DT880 for piano.
I assume you are listening to Classical music?

Oh, I didn't even notice the question. I do love classical, but I don't often listen to true classical music, I listen to a lot of the more modern music that is often just classified as orchestral.
For piano related things, I listen to things like the NieR soundtrack, and sometimes things like Isaac Shepard's "Leaves in the Wind".

My most common piano-only type music, though, is people's reinterpretations of songs that aren't piano, especially Disney music and video game music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back