Q701 impressions thread
Jan 25, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #271 of 9,602

Quote:
Hey, guys.

For anyone who has compared the Q701s with the K701s; is there any truth in the claim that the Q701s are quite a bit easier to drive?

There better not be, they are the same drivers (at least the older Q701 are the same as K702).
If anyone tells you that Q701  are easier to drive they are imagining it.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #272 of 9,602

Quote:
Very true about too many modern recordings.
Makes you wonder how many recordings from 2009 or 2010 or 2011 or 2012, etc. will be considered classics in 15 years?

maybe they will be remastered in 10 years and promoted as "New! Improved! Now with Dynamics!"
wink_face.gif

+1

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #273 of 9,602

Quote:
There better not be, they are the same drivers (at least the older Q701 are the same as K702).

Here's some weird thing to think about though...

I remember years and years ago trying to use my first K701 with a Total Airhead. I was kind of clueless, but it DID yet the job done.
The thing is though that the over voltage light would CONSTANTLY go off. Even when it wasn't all that loud. Drove me nuts.

On my Q701 I can crank the Airhead nearly full blast without it even doing the over-voltage red blink. Fresh batteries too.

My idea is that the Airhead has probably changed a bit since then. Doubt it though. This is my 2nd Airhead amp.

If they made any changes to the design of the Q701, there is a tiny chance it could be maybe say 1% easier to drive. By this I mean really that it just will get louder much easier. Not exactly easier to drive.

I first noticed similar things when modding various headphones and converting them from closed to open.

When I tried a DHC cable on the Q701 I found it weird how when I switched to it from stock it's as if someone increased my volume. Not sure the technical reason behind this, but it's the first time I ever heard this. Probably my imagination.

One last thing...I also find the latest HD-650's much easier to drive than the older versions. Same driver and everything. Wonder why? I was kind of shocked at how well my Airhead could drive the silver screened HD-650. Sounded very good too!

BTW for the TLDR people..I DID NOT say the Q701 is easier to drive
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #274 of 9,602

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If they made any changes to the design of the Q701, there is a tiny chance it could be maybe say 1% easier to drive. By this I mean really that it just will get louder much easier. Not exactly easier to drive.

I will let you all know soon enough.  I'm finishing up testing the DT990s right now,  and then off they go to make room for a K702 vs Q701 test...

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #275 of 9,602

I remember years and years ago trying to use my first K701 with a Total Airhead. I was kind of clueless, but it DID yet the job done.
The thing is though that the over voltage light would CONSTANTLY go off. Even when it wasn't all that loud. Drove me nuts.

On my Q701 I can crank the Airhead nearly full blast without it even doing the over-voltage red blink. Fresh batteries too.

My idea is that the Airhead has probably changed a bit since then. Doubt it though. This is my 2nd Airhead amp.

I first noticed similar things when modding various headphones and converting them from closed to open.

When I tried a DHC cable on the Q701 I found it weird how when I switched to it from stock it's as if someone increased my volume. Not sure the technical reason behind this, but it's the first time I ever heard this. Probably my imagination.

One last thing...I also find the latest HD-650's much easier to drive than the older versions. Same driver and everything. Wonder why? I was kind of shocked at how well my Airhead could drive the silver screened HD-650. Sounded very good too!

BTW for the TLDR people..I DID NOT say the Q701 is easier to drive :D

Totaly agreed . Q701 need better power amp to bring out its sound .
I pair it with UA&T U2 amp. many found sound is good but it just sound muddy to me.
Paired with violelectric HPA V200.l with zero gain. The sound is day and night! !.

I am happy now

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #276 of 9,602

Quote:

BTW for the TLDR people..I DID NOT say the Q701 is easier to drive
biggrin.gif

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, did it sound distorted when the overvoltage light went off? You should have heard clipping when the light went ON.
Maybe the overvoltage circuit light was FUBARed?
The cable:   maybe the new cable sounded more dynamic?  I find I get that effect out of a better speaker cable, to me they sound less "noisy",  i.e. the music appears to be less buried in "noise" or "grunge" when I use a better cable or a better amp.

Question for 1568:
Are we talking about a better sounding amp or a more powerful Amp?
Technically the K702 should be just as easy (or difficult) to drive as a Q701.
Don't confuse this with a better sounding amp.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #277 of 9,602
I must say, I'm really enjoying the Q701's...  They were a belated Christmas present from a relative I only see a few times a year.  She knew enough about my interest in the hobby and remembered my love for the color green (I rode Kawasaki dirt bikes and wore their bright green growing up) to make these cans my gift.  So yes, they are the green version (which I personally like).  Currently I'm running them out of my iBasso D4 and Onkyo receiver and both do an admirable job powering these.  I don't find them bass-shy or congested/sloppy/muddy.  While they're not basshead material, I'd call them bass appropriate. They don't sound underpowered with either setup.  While it may not be ideal, I'm in no hurry to run out and buy another amp.  I've always invested more time and money in IEM's, but that may be changing.  While I've only owned a few mid-tier cans (HD600, 325i's, SRH840's), so far these are my favorites.  Are they perfect? No, but there is certainly something special about them.  The headstage is different than any other can I've owned.  It's more of a 3D sound than an upfront presentation.  Perhaps that's what is so appealing to me.  Make sense?  After I've had more of a chance to take these in, I'll give further impressions.  (They have about 60 hours of burn-in/listen time).  All I know at this point is that I really like them.

I should qualify that the 3D sound is enhanced by Chesky's recordings, which really are outstanding.. YMMV

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #278 of 9,602
Here you go:  DT990 vs Q701 review & comparison

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592630/akg-q701-vs-dt990-600-ohm-comparison-review#post_8092226

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #279 of 9,602

Quote:
Here you go:  DT990 vs Q701 review & comparison

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592630/akg-q701-vs-dt990-600-ohm-comparison-review#post_8092226

Excellent comparison!  The Q701 seems to be a bit underrated.  I've been going back and forth on which headphone to try again- the HD600 or the Q701?  Your review tipped the scales in the Q701's corner a bit.

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #280 of 9,602
Here comes the rave!

I finally have made the switch to a proper WASAPI-based audio stream out of Windows 7 (circumventing directsound).  I'm using "MusicBee" player to accomplish that and the Nuforce Icon HD DAC / amp to play back FLAC files, and WOW!!! these headphones have to be the best bargain out there.  I have to agree with some other posters that when properly driven, what can hope to compete for $250?

( If anyone knows, clue me in because for what I paid I've lately been residing in audio paradise with these Q's  :)

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #281 of 9,602

Quote:
Excellent comparison!  The Q701 seems to be a bit underrated.  I've been going back and forth on which headphone to try again- the HD600 or the Q701?  Your review tipped the scales in the Q701's corner a bit.

I'd love to hear the HD600s some day, but I have a feeling they'd be too warm for me.  The Q701s are really as warm as I want to go...

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #282 of 9,602
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I must say, I'm really enjoying the Q701's...  They were a belated Christmas present from a relative I only see a few times a year.  She knew enough about my interest in the hobby and remembered my love for the color green (I rode Kawasaki dirt bikes and wore their bright green growing up) to make these cans my gift.  So yes, they are the green version (which I personally like).  Currently I'm running them out of my iBasso D4 and Onkyo receiver and both do an admirable job powering these.  I don't find them bass-shy or congested/sloppy/muddy.  While they're not basshead material, I'd call them bass appropriate. They don't sound underpowered with either setup.  While it may not be ideal, I'm in no hurry to run out and buy another amp.  I've always invested more time and money in IEM's, but that may be changing.  While I've only owned a few mid-tier cans (HD600, 325i's, SRH840's), so far these are my favorites.  Are they perfect? No, but there is certainly something special about them.  The headstage is different than any other can I've owned.  It's more of a 3D sound than an upfront presentation.  Perhaps that's what is so appealing to me.  Make sense?  After I've had more of a chance to take these in, I'll give further impressions.  (They have about 60 hours of burn-in/listen time).  All I know at this point is that I really like them.

I should qualify that the 3D sound is enhanced by Chesky's recordings, which really are outstanding.. YMMV

Gotta say, I basically agree with 95% of that!
I often run them with my iBasso D12, sometimes that is all I need.
Depending on the music I also like to run them on tubes (for example, female vocals).

What didn't you like about the 325s?
beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #283 of 9,602

Quote:

Its done!  A silver Matrix M-stage USB has been ordered  
bigsmile_face.gif
   *breathes sigh of relief*

I just went with a new one, because they've updated it recently where it comes with a built in DAC for $30 more!  They also redesigned the casing for better air flow

That sounds good to me!

...Now just need to choose an opamp upgrade
confused.gif

Where did you buy the DAC/upgraded case version from? I can't seem to find out anywhere...
and what chip is on that DAC? 

sorry, I know this is the Q701 thread, I don't mean to distract y'all from its original purpose...

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #284 of 9,602

Quote:
beerchug.gif

Gotta say, I basically agree with 95% of that!
I often run them with my iBasso D12, sometimes that is all I need.
Depending on the music I also like to run them on tubes (for example, female vocals).

What didn't you like about the 325s?
beerchug.gif

Hey Chris,

I really didn't give the 325i's enough time or love..  I was running them through a PA2V2 and never had the chance to try other setups.  They were fantastic with certain genres, but they weren't the all arounder I was looking for at the time.  In hindsight, I wish I had held onto them, although after sampling an RS-1 last year, I'd most likely step up. 

On another note, I'm waiting on my iBasso D7.. I'll give my impressions with the Q's once I've put some time on it.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #285 of 9,602
Hey guys, I'm feeling like I want an upgrade from my AD700s so I was wondering if you guys could "sell" me the Q701s.

I heard the bumps on the headbands were annoying/uncomfortable with the K701's, is that the case still?
What does the Q701's excel at compared to similar priced products, like DT880's?

I'm using mainly a laptop with integrated sound, what's a good DAC/amp to go with the Q701s? I'm also using a J3 so it'd be nice for it to be portable too, assuming that the J3 can't power the Q701s to the fullest.

And where are some good places to find these products that ship to Canada (without breaking the bank. Looking at you, $400 Q701s at Canada Computers).

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back