Q Cable Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #181 of 555
Just got my 4pin XLR Q in the mail (3M Black).  Lovin' It!  
o2smile.gif
  Pics to follow...

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #185 of 555
Pics as promised...

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #188 of 555
Quote:
I think I'm liking the brown silk with the LCD-3 and the black silk with the LCD-2
red silk is a free-for-all ... loving all of them ... makes me want to buy a Cavalli

I got the brown silk for the Rosewood LCD-2's (with the new connectors).  It goes very well with the dark wood finish (I'll have to upload a picture).
Best. Cable. Ever.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #189 of 555
Quote:
I think I'm liking the brown silk with the LCD-3 and the black silk with the LCD-2
red silk is a free-for-all ... loving all of them ... makes me want to buy a Cavalli

You would not be disappointed!

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #192 of 555
Greetings & Happy New Year!
I have now been enjoying my new Q-Cable for about a month now and thought I'd add my thoughts to the thread, since it is in fact this thread that lead me to Steve and Q-Cable. My pair is your basic black Q-Cable, terminated for my Hifiman HE500s and in a 1/4" TRS for use with my Violectric V200 amplifier. The source is a Wryd4Sound Dac-2, from a Mac Mini running either Audiorvana or Amarra via a Locus Axis. Interconnects are Anchorwave XLR by Lessloss. Power cables are from Triode Wire Lab. So, it's a pretty serious listening machine!

One of my concerns was that my system layout needed a 14 foot headphone cable. After reading all about Q here in Head-Fi I sent them an inquiry. After a few exchanges with Steve, I soon found myself thinking of him as not just a manufacture of a product that I wanted, but also as a caring friend. That's just the way he comes across in his emails; I've never even talked to him in person. We exchanged several emails discussing and working through a few road-bumps along the way. I've found that you can best evaluate the true character of a person when things don't go perfectly. Such was the case with Steve; he truly is a professional and caring person. Dealing with Steve is simply a sure bet. 

And what of the cable's performance? Simply stated, they are great, even at 14 feet. Bass is strong, articulate and controlled. Mid's are romantic and engaging. Highs are quick, perfectly balanced and never stringent or agressive. Real music never makes you cringe! Listening to this system is so much fun. It flips back and forth between being taken away by the whole of the music, to macro focusing on a specific instrument or voice and then back, all automatically without thinking about it. So yeah, Q hits all the audiophile terms, but more importantly it "sounds-like-music" buttons in terms SQ. BTW, the Q cables murdered the stock "silver" Hifiman cables in every way.

Lastly, we have the look and feel of the Q-cables. They look great. They feel great. But even better, they "act" great. There are totally free of microphonics and physically, they just lay perfectly. They just effortlessly follow every curve they encounter without even trying. They are simply perfectly behaved physically. There's nothing else to say... other than perfect.

So lets see....  A manufacture you can trust; check. Ultra-quick communication response; check. Fantastic sound quality even at longer lengths; check. Perfect mechanical cable behavior; check.

Color me a fully satisfied customer. So if you've been thinking about getting some Q cables, stop thinking about it and go for it.... it's only money  :)

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #193 of 555
I have been using Whiplash TWag for more than 2 years and recently got a brown french silk Q-cable from fellow member (Matt). 

My impression on Q-cable (after 3 days of burning in) : I didn't know how much I lose out on my LCD-3 driven by WA2 when I used my Whiplash.

Q-cable is indeed a good cable with overall balance sound. On my setup, it enhances the mid range to a level that is sweeter than sweet.....

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #194 of 555
Thank you for the kind words, everyone. And HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Speaking of which, I recently purchased a Tascam DR-05 portable digital recorder for doing some video production work. So just for fun, I set it up out back last night to record the New Year festivities.

http://www.q-audio.com/newyear2013.flac

Although it's just "noise," I recorded it at 24/96 stereo and even with FLAC encoding it ends up rather sizable at just under 250 MB. And while it's not exactly a binaural recording, it's fun to listen to with headphones. It will also give a loudspeaker system quite a workout. Some great low frequency content in there. I did allow the loudest transients to clip just a bit. If I had tried to capture the full dynamic range, it would take quite a lot of power to play it back at proper levels.

The recording begins about three minutes before midnight and runs for about ten minutes after midnight. Midnight is marked by a neighbor who was sending up some nice mortar-based "reports" (i.e. they just go up and make a loud bang - no fireworks "display"). At the very end, you can hear me walking up to the recorder to turn it off.

Oh, and all that stuff that sounds like gunshots? They're gunshots.
biggrin.gif

Keep the playback level rather low until you hear the first report at 2:30 and then adjust accordingly. Otherwise you might end up with your head stuck in the ceiling and I assume no liability for that.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Here's my DR-05, fitted with a Rode "Dead Kitten" windscreen (and doing a rather damn fine Don King impression if you ask me):

Once again, thank you everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

se

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #195 of 555
Wow and Wowee!  I downloaded this..............lots of fun for sure!  That first mortar made me jump out of my skin!  Lots of ambient fun here so I recommend this totally.  

Hey Steve, the Tascam is worth it!
Quote:
Thank you for the kind words, everyone. And HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Speaking of which, I recently purchased a Tascam DR-05 portable digital recorder for doing some video production work. So just for fun, I set it up out back last night to record the New Year festivities.

http://www.q-audio.com/newyear2013.flac

Although it's just "noise," I recorded it at 24/96 stereo and even with FLAC encoding it ends up rather sizable at just under 250 MB. And while it's not exactly a binaural recording, it's fun to listen to with headphones. It will also give a loudspeaker system quite a workout. Some great low frequency content in there. I did allow the loudest transients to clip just a bit. If I had tried to capture the full dynamic range, it would take quite a lot of power to play it back at proper levels.

The recording begins about three minutes before midnight and runs for about ten minutes after midnight. Midnight is marked by a neighbor who was sending up some nice mortar-based "reports" (i.e. they just go up and make a loud bang - no fireworks "display"). At the very end, you can hear me walking up to the recorder to turn it off.

Oh, and all that stuff that sounds like gunshots? They're gunshots.
biggrin.gif

Keep the playback level rather low until you hear the first report at 2:30 and then adjust accordingly. Otherwise you might end up with your head stuck in the ceiling and I assume no liability for that.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Here's my DR-05, fitted with a Rode "Dead Kitten" windscreen (and doing a rather damn fine Don King impression if you ask me):

Once again, thank you everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back