PX200 II thread.
Feb 18, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #31 of 53
I feel that these handy portables are underrated a bit... I really love their superb portability factor (nothing short of portapro or PX100 will get smaller) combined with good comfort and decent enough sound... sure, both ends are quite rolled off and there is bit of a bloated midbass (though this helps for portable use), but their midrange and upper bass/treble regions IMO are great for headphone at this price level. The isolation admittingly isn't that great, but IMO good enough and too much isolation is somewhat dangerous for use on the go (such as walking on the street) anyway.

Been using them on the go for the past year or so and couldn't be happier with them... have no desire to upgrade to better portables even though I've demoed and have been through many other portables. These just hits that sweet spot between sound/practicality IMO.

Tips for anyone those who are looking into getting this; AVOID the normal PX200-II if you want to maximize portability, that huge volume control is just silly in terms of practical use, just weighs the cable down, and is a huge obstacle in terms of wrapping the wire on to the folded headphone and putting it in your pocket. Get the iPhone remote version which has a much smaller unit, much smaller and more practical. Hoping that Sennheiser will eventually make a mark III version with detachable cable...

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #32 of 53
How did you get them repaired, if you don't mind me asking? The reason I ask is that my Koss KSC 75 currently has one channel without sound, and I would like to re-solder them myself to fix them. However, I have no previous experience with soldering, and would prefer them to get fixed by a professional. You see, after reading tons of reviews on Amazon for the Sennheiser PX 200-II, I am expecting one channel to short out or the jack to malfunction eventually, as these problems are common.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #33 of 53
Wow, i never knew that the PX200 had its own thread! Anyways, they were my first step into quality audio. Back then I wasn't too impressed with them because of their un-exciting sound signature, but they've really grew on me over time. As for their sound, they don't do that well on faster music with more treble/bass information like electronic or pop, but they really shine on slower music with lusher mids like postrock or acoustic. The soundstage is surprisingly good for such a small pair.

However, the best part about them is their practicality. For people like me who dislike the intrusive fit of IEMs, the PX200 is as good as it gets. There isn't really another ultraportable, closed headphone that can beat the PX200.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #34 of 53
  How did you get them repaired, if you don't mind me asking? The reason I ask is that my Koss KSC 75 currently has one channel without sound, and I would like to re-solder them myself to fix them. However, I have no previous experience with soldering, and would prefer them to get fixed by a professional. You see, after reading tons of reviews on Amazon for the Sennheiser PX 200-II, I am expecting one channel to short out or the jack to malfunction eventually, as these problems are common.

In many of the cases of one channel losing sound, it indeed is often a malfunction at the jack end, especially with headphones in this portable class (and this headphone in particular doesn't really have a sturdy jack or a good strain relief). From what I know it is something that is relatively easy to fix, you just need to get a new 1/8" plug. If however the problem is near the cup end or somewhere else further along the cable, it'll be more tricky, possibly requiring more expert help.

Senn should definitely give these a removable cable for the next revision...

However, the best part about them is their practicality. For people like me who dislike the intrusive fit of IEMs, the PX200 is as good as it gets. There isn't really another ultraportable, closed headphone that can beat the PX200.

+1. I really wish that they kept that plastic case from the older PX200 though.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #35 of 53
I'm looking for some ultra portable headphones to use with minimalist setup( iPod Nano 3rd Gen and Topping NX1) but I would like to know which one has the more better bass, PX200 11 or Koss Sporta Pros. Thanks.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #36 of 53
Quite glad I stumbled upon this thread! I love these headphones. Bought the original PX200 about 8 years used them daily on the subway for almost 5, before the cord began to fray. Then daily at work since then.

Recommended them to friends numerous times, and bought a second pair (of the originals) which seems to have a better jack design. I did however swap the pads on both with the newer PX200/300 II pads. Much thicker, softer and better sealing.

I agree that while these don't have a lot of bass, the bass quality present is very good. Best quality of the PX200 is the isolation, at very loud volume, no one around you can hear!

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #37 of 53
Bumping this thread because Sennheiser finally updated the design a little and gave the newest batches an L plug. My old pair finally bit the dust from the straight plug shorting out all of the time. 

Also, the volume control, if turned up all the way, caused a slight channel imbalance, but now they don't have that problem. 

Anyway, I actually think the bass is perfect now. I used to find them a little too lean, but after listening for a while you begin to realize that they actually have just the right amount. It's totally accurate and faithful to the recording. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #38 of 53
  Bumping this thread because Sennheiser finally updated the design a little and gave the newest batches an L plug. My old pair finally bit the dust from the straight plug shorting out all of the time. 

Also, the volume control, if turned up all the way, caused a slight channel imbalance, but now they don't have that problem. 

Anyway, I actually think the bass is perfect now. I used to find them a little too lean, but after listening for a while you begin to realize that they actually have just the right amount. It's totally accurate and faithful to the recording. 

I personally wish they got rid of the volume control altogether... or if they're going to implement one, at least make it much smaller. I found that on the normal version the volume control is way too chunky and actually weigh the headphones down a bit on the left side. Still think it's the best to go with the iphone remote version if you are on the go with these a lot just due to how much smaller the controller unit is vs. the volume control, even if you don't have the iphone to take advantage of the functions.

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #39 of 53

I personally wish they got rid of the volume control altogether... or if they're going to implement one, at least make it much smaller. I found that on the normal version the volume control is way too chunky and actually weigh the headphones down a bit on the left side. Still think it's the best to go with the iphone remote version if you are on the go with these a lot just due to how much smaller the controller unit is vs. the volume control, even if you don't have the iphone to take advantage of the functions.

I actually don't mind the volume control. I used to think it was pointless as well, but I have found myself using it a lot while listening to music on my phone. I never used it all that much before...

I am bumping this thread again simply because...I recently had it in my mind that I was going to find an upgrade to these to use as my go to's. I went through 3 headphones and returned all but one pair of them. The ones I ended up keeping were the skullcandy grinds, simply because they weren't that expensive, and the ones I returned because they didn't out perform my PX 200 II's were the new beat solo 2's, and the Bowers and Wilkins P5's. As far as comfort, sound, and overall performance goes, nothing really beat the Sennheisers. 

I just can't get away from these cans...they always end up my go to's even after I try to find something better!!! 

I was looking for something with a bit more soundstage and a little more bass but something that was as comfortable as my PX 200's. I can wear the PX 200's all day long, seriously. Nothing else was as comfortable. They all had more bass, but I've realized that the articulate nature of the PX 200's makes them great for noisy environments. Even though they are lean, the bass cuts through nearly no matter what, while some of the other headphones didn't do that even though they had more bass!!! Plus I hate wearing big headphones, and the PX 200's are easy to power from a portable device. 

I guess I'm stuck with em... :)

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #40 of 53
Great thread.  I like my PX200's too.  A little light on the bass, but not bad.  The price is good, they're ultra portable, durable and the sound is pretty decent.  Personally, I like IEM's better, but every-so-often I break the PX200's back out. 
cool.gif

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #42 of 53
I bought these a few days ago and should arrive any day. I intend to use them in gym. My question is, do you think sweat could damage the pads? Anyone using these with Sony Walkman A10? Can you give a bass boast with the  Clear Bass of walkman? 

Mar 13, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #43 of 53
  I bought these a few days ago and should arrive any day. I intend to use them in gym. My question is, do you think sweat could damage the pads? Anyone using these with Sony Walkman A10? Can you give a bass boast with the  Clear Bass of walkman? 

I think they'll stand up to sweat.  I'm sure the pads are replaceable. 

Mar 13, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #44 of 53

I really liked them with the Sony HEAVY preset. Gave a stage improvement with more bass and treble since I found them "n" sounding with an even roll on both ends that the combined bass and treble boost worked so well with. Pads are replaceable. Maybe more important to watch over the volume control and make sure that it doesn't get sweat/moisture or any machine damage at the gym.

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #45 of 53
  Great thread.  I like my PX200's too.  A little light on the bass, but not bad.  The price is good, they're ultra portable, durable and the sound is pretty decent.  Personally, I like IEM's better, but every-so-often I break the PX200's back out. 
cool.gif

In optimal listening conditions (quiet), the bass is perfect. It's when I go out and the bass has to compete with the other sounds out in the real world when I notice they are bass light. It seems that the low end spectrum is the first one to go when there's a lot of competing noise. But, that said, the bass is still audible even when out and about. 

I keep going between these and the Skullcandy Grind's, which have a more spacious sound coupled with more noticeable bass. But there's something about the PX 200 II's that keeps me coming back to them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back