PX100s better than E500s???
Aug 24, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without a doubt the E500s kill the px100s in isolation, detail, depth, mids and lows. Still I'm enjoying my music a bunch more with the px100s. Sure I'm not hearing all the little nuisances in the music, but I'm enjoying the sound way more. Probably then fun factor of not having a analytical headphone.

The Super fi 3s are a fine iem. They came across a bit harsh on the highs to me. Not bright just harsh.

Hmm, that is interesting. To my ears, the SF 3s don't have harsh highs at all - they are rolled off quite a bit compared to the mids and lows like the Shures, but they also seem to be much 'softer' sounding. To me the Shure E500/SE530 highs sound a lot harsher. It probably depends on the fit though.

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #17 of 40
The PX100s are definitely the most user-friendly headphone on the market. They are very comfortable on your head and around your neck and can easily fold up when you need them out of the way. You can hear when someone is trying to speak to you and remove them in a flash. They sound good and are cheap to replace.

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

I know this sounds strange but recently I've been reaching for my px100s more than my E500s. Don't get me wrong the E500s sound great but there's just something about the px100s that I can't get enough of. I'm loving them so much that when my gf borrowed my E500s for a week I didn't even care that they were gone. Another thing is that the px100s are more convenient. I just pop them on my head. With the E500s I have a longer process to get music into my head.

I'm seriously considering selling my E500s. I'm in the market for something that sounds like the px100s but more refined. Closed, open or iem I don't mind. Just as long as it runs out the iPod and has a similar sound signature to the px100s.

By all means sell your e500s if you dont enjoy them. I think the E500s destroy the PX100 in every area including the highs. Even if the highs are rolled off, they are much more extended, and sound fuller. But always use what you enjoy most. Non portablewise for example I love the grado SR60 more than anything.

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could it be you prefer the comfort of the supraaural phone (which sits nicely on your ears) over the IEM (which needs to be inserted into your ear canals)?

I have a pair of PX100s too and I do like them a lot. They're fun to use in the office, but I go with my IEMs when I am up and about or when I travel. For home listening, I'd reach for my MS-1s...

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Another think I noticed is the fun factor of the px100s. Of course I long ago realized that after a certain point the higher you go the less fun the sound gets. I think that may also be a huge factor as well. I think I'll check out a pair of Yuins

Talking about Yuins, my wife threw mine away. She thought my PK1 was an el cheapo $5 earphone and it was a bunched up mess on the floor next to my wastebasket at home, the thought I wanted to throw them away. I came back and found it gone, trash was collected by the garbage company. Sigh!!

It costed me $150 here.

Aug 28, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, that is interesting. To my ears, the SF 3s don't have harsh highs at all - they are rolled off quite a bit compared to the mids and lows like the Shures, but they also seem to be much 'softer' sounding. To me the Shure E500/SE530 highs sound a lot harsher. It probably depends on the fit though.

x2,i dont even know why the e500 are compared to these mid rangey iems and headphones seems a bit bizzare,seems to me if people prefer low end headphones to high end then why bother spending the money and just stick with what makes you happy
280smile.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2,i dont even know why the e500 are compared to these mid rangey iems and headphones seems a bit bizzare,seems to me if people prefer low end headphones to high end then why bother spending the money and just stick with what makes you happy
280smile.gif

Good advice! Helps the wallet too!

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

I know this sounds strange but recently I've been reaching for my px100s more than my E500s. Don't get me wrong the E500s sound great but there's just something about the px100s that I can't get enough of. I'm loving them so much that when my gf borrowed my E500s for a week I didn't even care that they were gone. Another thing is that the px100s are more convenient. I just pop them on my head. With the E500s I have a longer process to get music into my head.

I'm seriously considering selling my E500s. I'm in the market for something that sounds like the px100s but more refined. Closed, open or iem I don't mind. Just as long as it runs out the iPod and has a similar sound signature to the px100s.

How long did it take you to put your E500s in? I bet I could put mine in before you could put the PX100s on your head. I guess its all about the tip timewise, so if you were using foams, Tri flanges might help.

Aug 29, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #28 of 40
Not more than a few seconds. I was using foamies. Tri flanges are just painful and modding them still isn't much better. lol I doubt you could get a good seal with iems before I simply placed headphones on my ears. But the real point is the sound wasn't me and I'm not interested in any other iem. I've tried them all and the E500s offered the SQ.

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #29 of 40
I think its more of a comfort thing, probably. IEM's take a little while and some weird sensations to put in correctly, and then can become uncomfortable after a while, whereas the PX100's are slap-em-on style.

I personally don't see how the PX100's could live up to the E500's unless you're not getting a good seal with them.

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #30 of 40
Funny, how head-fi works. Reading all these posts about the PX-100 "forced" me to grab a pair, $29.99 on Newegg.com ($5 S&H). After all, I don't own a pair of portable over the ear phones. This place is going to make me crazy! And the price was so right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back