PX100s better than E500s???
Aug 23, 2007 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Digitalbath3737

500+ Head-Fier
I know this sounds strange but recently I've been reaching for my px100s more than my E500s. Don't get me wrong the E500s sound great but there's just something about the px100s that I can't get enough of. I'm loving them so much that when my gf borrowed my E500s for a week I didn't even care that they were gone. Another thing is that the px100s are more convenient. I just pop them on my head. With the E500s I have a longer process to get music into my head.

I'm seriously considering selling my E500s. I'm in the market for something that sounds like the px100s but more refined. Closed, open or iem I don't mind. Just as long as it runs out the iPod and has a similar sound signature to the px100s.

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 40
Its funny how convenience subconsciously rules...sometimes I just use iBuds instead of my HD555, just so I don't have to put up with the long cable and clunkiness (shocking I know, but I'm getting new IEM's soon).

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 40
PX100's are kind of tricky headphones - being small, improve with an amp, sounding like something much bigger then. I feel no regret when use them in the office and don't even think of HD595's left at home. I can listen to them straight from the player when on vacations, in the office I appreciate my portable DIY amp as it provides better drive and smooth volume control. E500's have a treble roll-off being so obvious and annoying that in my case all the listening pleasure disappears. I don't need all things to be stellar but I require it to BE there. Trebles mostly don't exist in the E500's.

Aug 23, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 40
I'm in a similar situation. I own Etymotic ER4P's, but I find myself reaching for my Yuin PK2's almost all the time. Yes, the ER4P's are technically better, but the Yuins are so easy to use/comfortable and sound so great that most of the time I'm more satisfied with them.

Rick

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 40
I have tried the comfort over quality switch, but always come back the er4s within a few hours. I just have to have that sound.

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 40
I feel I grab my KSC35's over all of my closed headphones (AKG K 81 DJ, Sennheiser HD 25, Shure E500PTH, Future Sonics Atrio m5) because I think I like the clarity and "openness" that they give. It seems like all my closed choices are dark sounding... when I had the YUIN PK2, they would sound similar to the KSC35 in "openness".

I'm not sure if this "openness" is due to less recessed highs or just giving my ear canals some air. I'm hoping that LiveWires, q-JAYS, or Westone 3 give more sparkle in the high end. I have yet to try Etymotic earphones, but I've read about how lean they are in the bass department and thus haven't really considered them.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 40
Another think I noticed is the fun factor of the px100s. Of course I long ago realized that after a certain point the higher you go the less fun the sound gets. I think that may also be a huge factor as well. I think I'll check out a pair of Yuins

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 40
I used to have the PX100s, but returned them within a few days because they didn't block out any noise, but also because they sounded kinda "tinny." The Shure E500/SE530s demolish the PX100 in SQ IMO. Yeah, the Shures do have rolled off trebles, but those trebles sound fuller and more natural than on the Senns, while in the mids and lows, there's no contest at all - the E500s kill the PX100s. Actually, I prefered my UE Super.fi 3s over Senn PX100s - the UEs are also fuller and more natural sounding + block out noise.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 40
I used to have the PX100s, but returned them within a few days because they didn't block out any noise, but also because they sounded kinda "tinny." The Shure E500/SE530s demolish the PX100 in SQ IMO. Yeah, the Shures do have rolled off trebles, but those trebles sound fuller and more natural than on the Senns, while in the mids and lows, there's no contest at all - the E500s kill the PX100s. Actually, I prefered my UE Super.fi 3s over Senn PX100s - the UEs are also fuller and more natural sounding + block out noise.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #12 of 40
Oops... double posted...

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PX100's are kind of tricky headphones - being small, improve with an amp, sounding like something much bigger then. I feel no regret when use them in the office and don't even think of HD595's left at home. I can listen to them straight from the player when on vacations, in the office I appreciate my portable DIY amp as it provides better drive and smooth volume control. E500's have a treble roll-off being so obvious and annoying that in my case all the listening pleasure disappears. I don't need all things to be stellar but I require it to BE there. Trebles mostly don't exist in the E500's.

Yeah they do - they are just hard to hear. They sound distant like they were just pushed to the background.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #14 of 40
We have two pairs of PX100s (one for the spouse) and they have been surprising for such unassuming looking supraaurals. Decent bass, great overall clarity with some presence, clear highs (to a point) without getting tinny and a comfortable midrange with some low-end, bass-y bump.

They can easily offer a somewhat flattened, unflattering side of the music when used with no EQ adjustments at lower volume, admittedly - though, that seems reasonable to me.

I don't listen to them loud, in general, and am very happy with their SQ and portability for the price. Used on both my D2 and the computer soundcard.

- wader

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Without a doubt the E500s kill the px100s in isolation, detail, depth, mids and lows. Still I'm enjoying my music a bunch more with the px100s. Sure I'm not hearing all the little nuisances in the music, but I'm enjoying the sound way more. Probably then fun factor of not having a analytical headphone.

The Super fi 3s are a fine iem. They came across a bit harsh on the highs to me. Not bright just harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back