PX100-II or Yuin PK3?
Aug 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

chnsawBrutality

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for another portable headphone, but I can't decide between these too. 

Disregarding the size, which would you all recommend?

My music is pretty diverse, but it's mostly alternative rock, hip-hop, and metal.

I currently have the RE0s and M50s.  I like the way both of these sound, the RE0s sound a little better to my ears though.  Might have to do with them having less bass than the M50s, but I still like the sound from the M50s, they're a fun headphone.

And, any other bud or headphones that are close in the price range that you would recommend over these two?  No IEMs or full-size cans though.

I looked into the Senn MX580, but I'm not a fan of the volume control, unless the sound will be superior to the PK2s and PX100-II.

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 13
The PK3's are small enough to keep in a pants pocket all the time (just buy yourself a little drawstring pouch to protect them), so if portability is an issue go with the PK3's. Also, if you're using an iPod I'd recommend buying a Fiio E5 headphone amp and a line out adapter. The PK3 don't need to be amped, but IMHO the Fiio's "Bass boost" switch adds just enough warmth to really make these earbuds shine. And it's a subtle bass boost, not an obnoxious thadump, thadump!  Really pushes the whole package to 11. I almost never listen to my PK3's without the Fiio E5.

Haven't heard the PX100-II, but the old PX 100 probably produce a greater "wow !" factor than the PK3. For 99% of the population, I'd say' the PX100 represent exactly what they're looking for in terms of sound. That's why you see so many visitors to these forums asking for "IEM's that sound like PX100s." The other 1% represent the sort of audiophile that are the natural, perennial dwellers of head-fi, people who are always looking for perfect sound, and upgrading their very expensive headphones year to year.

Finally, if sound leakage is an issue, go with the PK3. I use my PK3's at work because they're relatively quiet (being earbuds you don't have to turn the up as much). I'd worry about annoying my neighbors with a set of PX100s.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks,

So the PX100-II will provide a better sound than the PK3s? 
What about the PK2s or OK3s?  Those are closer to the price of the Px100-IIs.

Which one will provide a flatter sound, and which will have less/tighter bass?

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 13
In my opinion the PX100's do have better bass than the PK3. The PK3 is a very nice earbud, but it's tiny driver can't compete with the physically larger driver of the PX100. IEM's have the advantage of playing into a sealed ear canal which helps deliver more bass, but the PK3 are are not IEMs. And it's not just about the size of the driver. The PX100s produce nice, tight, well formed bass, which is what distinguishes them from the Walmart aisles full of $15.00 "superbass" headphones. I have not tried the others on your list, so I cannot comment.

Let me add that I'm not an audiophile, just a guy who likes nice sounding music and owns the two headhones you are inquiring about.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 13
i owned the ok2's and the px100's and thought the sound quality was much better on the px100...   even if i put my personal sound preferences aside, i thought the ok2 just didnt perform well at all...  hope that helps...  on the other hand the px100 series are really a phenomenal sounding headphone for the price. 

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

My music is pretty diverse, but it's mostly alternative rock, hip-hop, and metal.

I have had the original PX-100's and they had great sound. My music tastes are all over as yours and I recently wanted a portable pair with more bass. Went with the Koss Porta-Pro's and they are great IMO for Rock, R & B, Blues and Hip Hop. With my PA2V2 bass occasionally seems slightly excessive but I have found turning amp down a little balances it out while still suppling ample volume to enjoy the music. I think this is mostly due to recording and or it's level than a fault of the phones. Good Luck...

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 13
just my opinion, but i felt px100 were better than koss porta pros in sound construction and comfort.  every time i tried the koss i just didnt like them.

but i havent had extended experience with them either

Quote:
Quote:

I have had the original PX-100's and they had great sound. My music tastes are all over as yours and I recently wanted a portable pair with more bass. Went with the Koss Porta-Pro's and they are great IMO for Rock, R & B, Blues and Hip Hop. With my PA2V2 bass occasionally seems slightly excessive but I have found turning amp down a little balances it out while still suppling ample volume to enjoy the music. I think this is mostly due to recording and or it's level than a fault of the phones. Good Luck...

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

i felt px100 were better than koss porta pros in sound construction and comfort.

The PX-100 has outstanding sound and IMO trumps the Koss in comfort (being lighter) and overall sound quality. What I like in the Koss is more sturdy construction for on-the-go listening and added bass while also out-and-about. They also rest more securely on my head without being uncomfortable and always was a little paranoid with the Senns. They eventually broke. If PX II's are a definite improvement I would think they would be worth while as well. Lifetime warranty on Porta-Pro's is also a plus to me.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for all the opinions everyone.

I might go with the PX100-IIs since the sound seems better, and it has tight bass. 

How do the PX100-IIs fit while laying down?  I know the earbuds will be preferable to laying down, and that's mainly where the headphones will be used.

I think the PX100-IIs will work nice when laying down, the M50s are a little too heavy and the earpads are too large when laying on a pillow.  Right?

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 13
hierarchy-down-arrow.gif
It's been a while since I heard the PX-100 but I don't remember being impressed while the PK3 is quite good IMO.  If you like your RE0, the PK3 isn't too far off, both learn towards more balanced, neutral sound

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 13
Guys, girls..

I have ordered the PX100-II.

Mostly because I wanted a low profile and open pair of cans, and the one-sided cord is is a feature I really like on my M50s

First impressions in about a week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back