PX 100 Appreciation
Oct 6, 2007 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

CBS

New Head-Fier
As the title says - I just don't think it can get better than these for portable use with an unamped Ipod. I know many swear by the Koss headphones, but I have never come across any -

I recently went to Tom Lee Music and auditioned some HD280's, HD 25 sp, Sony 7506, and all (to me) had a much more muffled, less dynamic sound than my inexpensive Senn's

Perhaps I have become more accustomed to an open ear sound, and closed cans just dont' cut it.

I did try on a pair of akg 701's and some senn 650's - (just for a laugh) and my little nano couldn't even power these cans to a quite underwater hush.

Unless I get a portable amp - I hear no reason to upgrade to a supposed better headphone.

whadda think.

Sincerly
Wax in Ears

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
px200s are a step downward from the px100s

sound-wise, agreed. but it's much better for libraries
280smile.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 111
I loved my PMX100s, they have great bass for such a small set of phones. The mids could get a little cluttered and the highs distorted fairly easily, but overall the sound was outstanding for the price.

I'm surprised to hear your nano couldn't power your HD650s though. My nano is powering my HD600s just fine while I'm waiting for an interconnect for my amp. Was it really almost inaudible, or was it just too quiet for your liking?

Oct 6, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I myself have never gotten more satisfaction out of a $40 audio purchase than I did from my PX100's. What a bargain.

i find myself using those every time i am using my computer and the fact
that they are the most comfortable pair i have.

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 111
i have a pair of PMX100, i was using my Maylar X3 for a while, and then i put on my PMX100 back becuase the x3´s were artifacting, they sound a bit less detailed, but just a bit, but the change in soundstage was amazing, i like them for use around the house, but using them outside is kind of a pain for me, i have ADHD, so i have a hard time filtering out sound in my mind, so every time a car or bus passes next to me, it overwhelms whatever is coming from the headphones, plus, i hate it when the people next to me know what im listening to,

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 111
OgreMash:::

I rarely listen to loud music - I prefer to keep my ears.

I was using the new Nano 8G (sumo style) and yes the volume was cut drastically - I cranked it up and still - the sound was distant, muddy, etc.

I think the PX100's are the best headphones ever ! :wink:

PS - they cost 45 buck in the states and 92 bucks in Canada - go figure

Oct 6, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by CBS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OgreMash:::

I rarely listen to loud music - I prefer to keep my ears.

I was using the new Nano 8G (sumo style) and yes the volume was cut drastically - I cranked it up and still - the sound was distant, muddy, etc.

I think the PX100's are the best headphones ever ! :wink:

PS - they cost 45 buck in the states and 92 bucks in Canada - go figure

True that... my PX100's cost me $79.99 plus tax at The Source CC here in Canada (I guess I got ripped off a bit). Nonetheless, they have been some of the finest headphones I've ever owned. I broke the cable connection on the left earphone after about a year and a half and sent them back to Sennheiser and got a brand new pair... free of charge. While I have recently upgraded to the HD595 and noticed a substantial difference (as one should!) I still use the PX100 for portable iPod use. They still impress me for the price, especially in the percussion area.

Long live the PX100!

Oct 7, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #14 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennheiserfan1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True that... my PX100's cost me $79.99 plus tax at The Source CC here in Canada (I guess I got ripped off a bit). Nonetheless, they have been some of the finest headphones I've ever owned. I broke the cable connection on the left earphone after about a year and a half and sent them back to Sennheiser and got a brand new pair... free of charge. While I have recently upgraded to the HD595 and noticed a substantial difference (as one should!) I still use the PX100 for portable iPod use. They still impress me for the price, especially in the percussion area.

Long live the PX100!

ughhh my px200s cables frayed after two years and TWO DAYS! i was pissed
rs1smile.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #15 of 111
ipod using treble booster eq for px100 is really a great thing for the price. no high resolution sound though but the sucker actually can do drums better than grados
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back