PWB Electrostatics and Rainbow Foil / Cream - Electret Samples !
Jun 27, 2011 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

nick n

Headphoneus Supremus
Nabbed a set of PWB ( or is that P.W.B.) Electrostatic headphones online. Talk about audio history. They're just missing one label on the side but otherwise they sure do look interesting. Unfortunately there is no Transformer box with it, which as I understand was slightly different inside than the typical ES Box. I will find one sooner or later.

Not my pictures but it has a 4 prong end, so this may be Electret then?

In the course of researching what I could find on these I was led to the PWB website and the list of "Beltisms" which guess what: "Beltisms/Tweaks" are still available!

I emailed them directly regarding the history of these headphones as well as inquiring about the foil and just got a message back the very next day from May Belt. Very nice service. Unfortunately there is no reserve source or warehouse full of NIB PWB phones anywhere. I actually asked. Had to. They stopped making phones back in the '70's. ( ANYONE have any PWB cans for sale? or even a transformer box? ) I will have to use my Stax SRD-6, but since it's a 4 pin it should work in the passive AT-705 Electrets box I have
 So they are sending me some samples of the RAINBOW FOIL and CREAM-ELECTRET! How cool is that!
 Should be interesting. Just wondering what my cans will be like after coating them up. 

( jeeze I keep getting visions of that Dream Cream episode in Tim and Eric Awesome Show where he eats it and gets nightmares)
Actually I will approach this with an open mind. Why not. Anyone else ever try the foil or cream since the 2004 post?
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/69286/pwb-rainbow-electret-foil-initial-impressions

It's just something that has to be done. I have no control over this.
rolleyes.gif

And you thought the expensive cables debate was huge.

Any info on the phones would be of interest. Yes I saw the other post, which is what made me ask about the foil!! Thanks!

Same housing as the DYNA-X in this post it seems. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/270652/pwb-headphones
Someone there mentioned the pad design so here it is.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 2
Nice score. Definitely the exact same housing as the Dyna-x. I think all the info I dug up was on that other thread. Not much information on the headphones among all Beltism foil and freezing pictures talk. I'll cross my fingers for you on finding a matching transformer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back