Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
Jul 14, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #241 of 1,032
Another soldier from the field reporting on Puritan Ground Master and it is fantastic. Very oxymoronic kind of situation - change is subtle but the impact on the overall listening experience is substantial. This thing takes you towards realism. Everything in 3D sound space is traceable so easily.

I got an 1/2" 8' grounding rod from Home Depot thinking that I could install it myself but ended up calling an electrician who came with a special tool and did the job in minutes but he too could push it down to 7' and then it seems that it hit a rock. As for wire, I got an 6AWG stranded from Home Depot.

Overall, totally worth the effort, time, and money. Mine is running with an PSM156.

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #242 of 1,032
Another soldier from the field reporting on Puritan Ground Master and it is fantastic. Very oxymoronic kind of situation - change is subtle but the impact on the overall listening experience is substantial. This thing takes you towards realism. Everything in 3D sound space is traceable so easily.

I got an 1/2" 8' grounding rod from Home Depot thinking that I could install it myself but ended up calling an electrician who came with a special tool and did the job in minutes but he too could push it down to 7' and then it seems that it hit a rock. As for wire, I got an 6AWG stranded from Home Depot.

Overall, totally worth the effort, time, and money. Mine is running with an PSM156.
The Ground Master has to be one of the best bang for buck tweaks, actually one of the most satisfying improvements at any price, it is possible to make to one’s system.

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #244 of 1,032
Does anybody know if Ground Master needs to be used with only Puritan's products or can be used with any power distribution system that has a ground post?
I think it should be fine. There's a chap a few pages back who uses the GM without the PSM.

Jul 19, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #248 of 1,032
RouteMaster has been ordered, and it's time to see just how quiet I can get my system. :grin: The PSM136, GroundMaster and Ultimate XX Power Cable have all been incredible, so I can't wait to hear what the RouteMaster can do for my system.

More to come. . .

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #249 of 1,032
I talked to my dealer today if there’s a option to trade in my 156 for a 1512. he recommended not to upgrade to the 1512, instead buy another 156 and separate digital and analog devices. Long story short, nr2 will join after I moved to our new house.

Maybe this is interesting for future reference if someone has to decide too

Jul 21, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #251 of 1,032
I just hooked up the RouteMaster a few hours ago, and it's another game changer folks. I am now running my PSM136 by itself and then I have my Streamer, DAC and Amp grounded to the RouteMaster that is connected to my GroundMaster. There is substantial improvement across the board, and specifically the texture, impact, and detail have gone through the roof now, and the staging is so deep and open the headphones are gone and music sounds like a live performance it is so big and full of life now. I can feel the music and hear every little nuance and it's a highly immersive and addictive experience. The RouteMaster is legit.

The RouteMaster to GroundMaster is several leagues better than the PSM136 to GroundMaster for those that are curious. Also, I do plan to add another GroundMaster to my PSM136 eventually and that will be the complete setup and should sound even better. I feel the biggest gains are with the RouteMaster and my system is spooky quiet right now, and I can't even tell when it's turned on and music just appears out of total blackness. I highly recommend the RouteMaster!

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #252 of 1,032
Wes, you are even more of a clean power fan than I am! Routemaster sounds like a positive contribution.

Now all you need is a 156 or 1512, as they allegedly have more (double) the secret sauce filtering capabilities of the 136. But seriously it is impressive that these relatively inexpensive power peripherals make such a difference. I bought my 1512 from a person who decided to replace it with a $20k device, which he found to be only slightly better.

Jul 22, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #253 of 1,032
Wes, you are even more of a clean power fan than I am! Routemaster sounds like a positive contribution.

Now all you need is a 156 or 1512, as they allegedly have more (double) the secret sauce filtering capabilities of the 136. But seriously it is impressive that these relatively inexpensive power peripherals make such a difference. I bought my 1512 from a person who decided to replace it with a $20k device, which he found to be only slightly better.
I am actually thinking the PSM136 is all one needs if they are only running their DAC and Streamer from it like me. I really think the magic is with the Ultimate XX cable, and RouteMaster w/ GroundMaster. I find it interesting that everyone that raves about the PSM156 has also gone straight for the Ultimate XX Cable as well, and I have yet to actually read a comparison of the PSM136 and 156 while both have the Ultimate XX cable. . .? I do imagine there are true gains to be had with the PSM156 vs. PSM136, if you are using all the outlets and with gear that takes a lot of current.

That being said, I really wonder how much better it can get for my use case, and knowing me I will eventually upgrade to the PSM156 just for peace of mind, but as it stands right now I am not in a rush, as my system sounds so incredible right now I can't take anymore improvement for a while. I have never heard such grip and control and there is even serious detail, punch and impact now at low volumes. Quiet power is everything and especially with higher end gear.

Jul 22, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #254 of 1,032
I am actually thinking the PSM136 is all one needs if they are only running their DAC and Streamer from it like me. I really think the magic is with the Ultimate XX cable, and RouteMaster w/ GroundMaster. I find it interesting that everyone that raves about the PSM156 has also gone straight for the Ultimate XX Cable as well, and I have yet to actually read a comparison of the PSM136 and 156 while both have the Ultimate XX cable. . .? I do imagine there are true gains to be had with the PSM156 vs. PSM136, if you are using all the outlets and with gear that takes a lot of current.

That being said, I really wonder how much better it can get for my use case, and knowing me I will eventually upgrade to the PSM156 just for peace of mind, but as it stands right now I am not in a rush, as my system sounds so incredible right now I can't take anymore improvement for a while. I have never heard such grip and control and there is even serious detail, punch and impact now at low volumes. Quiet power is everything and especially with higher end gear.
I don’t have the ultimate XX cable, but have very high quality and moderately priced custom cables made by a cable maker friend, and concur that power cords matter significantly up to a certain point. I share your satisfaction with level of system as is, despite not having the real Groundmaster or the Routemaster.

Jul 22, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #255 of 1,032
I connected a 20A ac9 pangea power cord to the Puritan, and could not hear any noticeable difference between the Pangea and ultimate cable through the puritan. I'm considering purchasing another psm156 to connect my desktop pc to. There is a dc offset/mechanical hum from my amplifier when the computer is on and connected to the psm156, but it completely disappears when the computer is off. Plugged my computer to a different outlet and the hum was also gone, but the sound became "digital" harsh hazy. I think it sounds best when connected to the psm156 but the hum from the amp annoys me. The hum is mechanical and does not go through the speakers. Currently have my pc connected to a spare PS Audio Stellar P3 on the same wall outlet. 50-60% of the noise is gone from the amp, but the clarity and "blackground" has slightly worsened while the sound became slightly fuller and rounded (which isn't terrible either). But I do miss the sound of my system with the pc in the psm156. Might have to get another one...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back