Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
May 16, 2022 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 972

F208Frank

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone use the PSM136 or the PSM156? These items have been gaining a lot of popularity in the conditioner realms as it does not take away dynamics common to most other conditioners.

Anyone have experience using their power cords?

May 17, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 972
I'm also looking at the PSM136 and just received pricing. If you look at most reviews, they look really good. Audio Science Review wasn't impressed with PSM156 at all, although I take some of their reviews with a grain of salt. I hear their power cables are actually pretty good. I just bought 2 different power cables from Triode Wire Labs. I'm also interested in opinions on this product.

May 17, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 972
Where did you end up getting yours from?

May 18, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 972
I haven't bought one yet and I'm unsure if I will. I'm still researching. I received a quote from Brian Tucker. He is the person listed as the US rep on their website. Did you already purchase?

May 23, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 972
Using a PSM-156 with Ground Master fed with an Ultimate power cord, which I have re-terminated the Furutech plugs, as I think the Puritan supplied plugs are a bit disappointing. As for the sound, noise floor drops away revealing crucial small details that transports you closer to the studio or venue it was recorded.
Besides the Ultimate plugs my only other gripe is the 156 sockets don't grab the plugs tightly enough and can work their way out if disturbed when fiddling around the back of the system. I have read that someone offers a Furutech socket upgrade on the units in the UK.
All said and done I wouldn't be without mine. Would like to upgrade all my power cords to Ultimate when funds permit.

May 23, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 972
Using a PSM-156 with Ground Master fed with an Ultimate power cord, which I have re-terminated the Furutech plugs, as I think the Puritan supplied plugs are a bit disappointing. As for the sound, noise floor drops away revealing crucial small details that transports you closer to the studio or venue it was recorded.
Besides the Ultimate plugs my only other gripe is the 156 sockets don't grab the plugs tightly enough and can work their way out if disturbed when fiddling around the back of the system. I have read that someone offers a Furutech socket upgrade on the units in the UK.
All said and done I wouldn't be without mine. Would like to upgrade all my power cords to Ultimate when funds permit.

Is the noise floor drop because of the grounding or just from using the PSM-156 without any grounding? Also how do you know the noise floor dropped? Is it something that's a night/day difference? Also were you having noise floor problems previously? I know everyone lives in different circumstances. Some people live in very old homes, some people live in apartments and so forth. Thanks for your feedback.

May 23, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 972
Is the noise floor drop because of the grounding or just from using the PSM-156 without any grounding? Also how do you know the noise floor dropped? Is it something that's a night/day difference? Also were you having noise floor problems previously? I know everyone lives in different circumstances. Some people live in very old homes, some people live in apartments and so forth. Thanks for your feedback.
It's the grounding that plays the significant role in the blacker background, the 156 cleans things up and allows you to hear more but for me the Ground Master was the icing on the cake. You get a huge head space with rock solid imaging and deeper and more textured lows. I found adding the Ultimate gave a greater sense of depth and layering.
You can even use the Ground Master without the 156/136 and connect to chassis or signal ground to great effect. A friend of mine has just installed two GM, one for mains earth and the other for chassis/signal ground and he tells me it is well worth the effort, although I haven't heard it myself yet.

May 24, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 972
I currently use the PSM 156 with the ultimate cord from wall to conditioner, the noise floor dropping is subtle but noticeable and after experiencing it, "going back" would be kind of hard.

The definition of bass was a nice touch, and sound stage widens.

The unit is also surprisingly MUCH lighter than I expected, for reference it is lighter than the audioquest 1200 and DEFINITELY lighter than the P3 from PS Audio.

Jun 26, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 972
I currently use the PSM 156 with the ultimate cord from wall to conditioner, the noise floor dropping is subtle but noticeable and after experiencing it, "going back" would be kind of hard.

The definition of bass was a nice touch, and sound stage widens.

The unit is also surprisingly MUCH lighter than I expected, for reference it is lighter than the audioquest 1200 and DEFINITELY lighter than the P3 from PS Audio.
Frank did the Midrange change and get better and did it get a warmer sound?

Thanks

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 972
Did not feel that I got a warmer sound, noise floor dropped and soundstage widens a bit.

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 972
Yep got a PSM156 with an Ultimate C19 cord supplying it. It replaced a Niagara 3000 with a Hurricane cord. The Puritan is noticeably better than the Audioquest. No question, definitely worth it. Give Mark at norvett.com a shout, he is competitive
If it's possible for you to go the whole hog, I highly recommend adding the Puritan Ground Master to the PSM156.

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 972
If it's possible for you to go the whole hog, I highly recommend adding the Puritan Ground Master to the PSM156.
Yep got one of those too, not as big a jump for me but yes, as its cheaper anyway, still good value. Earthing the various chassis's to the PSM ground point also made a nice difference. I really rate the ultimate power cord too, better than the Atlas EOS4DD and the custom hifi powerblack - both pretty good cables themselves

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #15 of 972
I received mine about a month ago burned in and made a immediate improvement from staging, blacker background, bass, and made everything more focused which surprised me because I have a Innuos Statement which made a HUGE DIFFERENCE. I just came from a AQ 1200 & 5000 and you can hear the difference.
You just wait until you try applying fo.q tape (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353812619421) to the caps in that. It'll blow your mind. Heres what it looks like applied to some caps in my crossover and the inside of my 156...
20220630-134824.jpg

20220804-195912.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back