Pull&Bear headphones - good encasing for Portapros?
Jan 9, 2011 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LizardKing1

Headphoneus Supremus
This is a ranting + DYI thread. If you dislike ranting, please don't comment that.

I was interested in buying a pair of these to immediately remove the "driver" and put in a pair of drivers from my Portapros. My girlfriend is really into stylish headphones and I upset her talking about head-fi, so I thought getting into DYI and offering her these for her birthday.

Anyway, I was looking them up online and found this fashion (?) website: http://www.ermoumag.com/2010/12/pull-bear-launches-retro-headphones/

Besides telling me about their looks, without a single reference to sound quality, it stated that these are made of high quality materials (aka plastic) and offered the best possible sound quality. Now, I know they didn't mean that - they just got carried away. But you would expect a little more humbleness. There are people working in developing custom in-ears with 16 drivers, and these actually refer to themselves as having the best quality ever. Idk, just annoyed me.

Apart from that, what do you think? Are cheap stylish headphones easy to open and use as encasing for better drivers? Also, will the Portapros be OK with becoming closed instead of their semi-open natural?

PS: I also tend to recable the PPs... not sure if that will matter.

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 3
Don't expect it to work well. There's a lot of engineering needed to get any driver to sound good in an enclosure. You might like both mustard and ice cream, but mixing the two won't end well.

If your girlfriend wants these headphones, buy them for her. Don't lecture her about the "right" headphones to have. That's obnoxious. Let her listen to your pairs if she wants. If she ends up wanting good sound quality, then buy her what she likes.

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 3
I'm not driving her insane, thank you very much -.-' she does recognize good audio quality, not audiophile-like, but she's not deaf to good cans. It's just she also like stylish things. I just wanted to give her a bit of both worlds.

I already tried the Portapros inside a full-sized Creative encasing, and it sounded good. I can't compare with the original, but I don't think I missed up much. I don't believe that if I take a driver from a certain closed headphone and place inside the encasing of another empty closed headphone the sound would change noticeably. However, this is an open headphone (the Portapros, not the others), and the encasing in case is closed. The Portapros don't even have an encasing, they are just stuck to a plastic frame, so it might be a big change.

I take your opinion seriously, so you think I should invest much hope in this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back