PSU filter - little device good for computer audio
May 10, 2010 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

bearbb

New Head-Fier
I am using this little device to filter the power for my pc. I always think computer audio got a main problem and that's the power supply. Since traditional pc is not design for audio purpose, the noise from psu is too high compare with those high end audio devices. If no good power supply, the sound quality will grealy affect. That's why people are willing to spend a lot of money to improve their power system.

ASUS STX veresion, as you can see there is a 4 pin connector

You can connect a 24 pin connector to this little device, the filter inside will make the power "better" for audio usage. So how's this sound? I am not really good at writing so all I can say the sound getting much clearer than before. I feel more comfortable while listening to music. It's worth for the investment.

May 10, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 35
It ALL depends on pricepoint.  Is nothing externalized, you're just taking the 24 from your PSU, running it into a device, and running it back?

Got a link to this device, or is it homemade?

May 10, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 35
Isn't it just much easier to buy a low ripple PSU like any Corsair brand PSU?
But yes, you are right in saying that for a soundcard setup, the computer PSU is vitally important in sound quality. The bigger the ripple = more distortion = decreased sound quality.
USB DACs bypass the computer PSU so there's no need to improve the computer PSU if have an external setup.

May 10, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 35
I noticed increased background hiss with my new laptop which is plugged into the same wall socket as the rest of my kit. I have two mains extensions and now each has a mains filter plugged into it and no more noise.

May 11, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 35

Actually the only USB that I know of that isn't galvanically connected to the computer power supply is the Ayre USB DAC,  it is rare to find a USB DAC that doesn't sit on the noisy computer ground.

Quote:
But yes, you are right in saying that for a soundcard setup, the computer PSU is vitally important in sound quality. The bigger the ripple = more distortion = decreased sound quality.
USB DACs bypass the computer PSU so there's no need to improve the computer PSU if have an external setup.

May 11, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #7 of 35

Quote:

To a point - even the best switching power supplies still have voltage ripple measured in millivolts, which far more than a good linear power supply will supply.

I'd be interested in seeing some specs on this filter - or even the internals - to get an idea of this is supposed to do and how much.

May 11, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 35
popcorn.gif

May 12, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:
why are people talking about grounding on digital connections (USB)? Unless the noise causes errors, you're golden - yes/ no?

You're aware that even non-USB bus powered devices often draw power from USB anyway, correct?  USB is not a completely digital connection.

May 13, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 35

Quote:
why are people talking about grounding on digital connections (USB)? Unless the noise causes errors, you're golden - yes/ no?

USB is an analog signal,  coax digital connection on any transport to DAC is guess what ? an analog signal.  The only arguably digital signal is an optical one.

May 13, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 35
Regal I think you expressed your statement is not quite accurate. We live in an analog world, IOW any kind of transmission around you is done through analog mean be it through electron, photon or any other kind. Whether the transmission format is analog or digital is another matter. So USB signal is transmitted through analog mean, same as SPDIF, but these transmission formats are digital and they are piggybacked on analog means. To generalize: this rule applies to any kind of signal in use.

Now if only we lived in a world like TRON, we wouldn't need DAC process anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back