PSP too muddy, to amp or not to amp?
Jul 28, 2011 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

koolkat

1000+ Head-Fier
I use my PSP as my portable music player, and I use Sennheiser HD438s.
The sound coming from my PSP is very different from the sound coming from my laptop.
The PSP makes the music sound so squashed and muddled, while the music from the laptop
is clearer and has more separation.

Will an amplifier change this?

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 15
depends on the psp, if you can not bypass the internal amp on the psp, then an amp will not do anything for you. Although if you had the extra money getting an amp for your laptop and trying it on the psp wouldn't hurt 
atsmile.gif

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 15
Ah no can do =O

I need a portable amp for outdoor purposes. Currently the sound on the PSP is really soft, and everything's muddy and squashed together, there's not much clarity and detail, like there is when playing from my Acer laptop.

So I thought maybe if I got an amp, I could raise the max volume and improve on the bass, mids and stuff. Buying a dac would probably prove useless, since usually the fine details that emerge will be drowned out by the sound of the train. The sound already sounds phenomenal on my laptop, I'm not sure getting a desktop amp/new soundcard/dac would even improve it, lol.

Not looking to get a high-end pricey amp, I'm probably getting the PA2V2.

P.S How does one bypass an internal amp.

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 15
Buying something like a sansa clip plus would be money better spent then trying to amp the psp.  Also what bit rate are the files in?  All you'll do with a better source is reveal how crap the files are.

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 15
I can't play FLAC on PSP but I do have a couple of flac ripped albums.
iirc, most of the songs are 400kpbs or bps (the highest AAC encoder can go).

I guess the best way to go about improving the sound is to buy a new music player,
but I'm really not into buying these things. For starters, I change my songs a lot, and
I barely keep more than 100 songs in my psp at once so dedicating money to a player
wouldn't be money well spent.

I was hoping that buying an amp will improve the sound on my psp, phone and if possible,
my laptop. It's more flexible that way, since I don't have to stick to 1 DAP.

So how do I bypass an internal amp ?
normal_smile%20.gif

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #8 of 15
So pairing a PSP with any amp/dac will not change the sound quality?

Anyone knows if an amp works with a Motorola android phone or an acer laptop, without any external cables,
LODs or extra bypassing stuff?

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 15
Amp will work with anything you can plug it in, but usually going from internal amp to another amp is not good. I do that with my Zune and find little difference in using something to bypass it, but the difference is there I can hear it.

what AMP are you thinking of? maybe a DAC+AMP combo, that you could use out of a USB in the laptop

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #10 of 15
I was looking at a cheaper one, the PA2V2. The FiiO E7 is almost as expensive (if not more) as my Sennheiser HD438s.
I don't think a DAC will make too much of a noticeable/audible difference for outdoor listening... right? What can an amp do to the sound quality
coming from a mediocre DAP (psp) out to a low-impedance headphone?

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #11 of 15
So just to get this straight, connecting an external amp to my psp/laptop, and to my headphones isn't going
to change the sound much, since I can't bypass the internal amp?

reply asap ty :s

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 15
I don't know how the internal amp on a laptop is bypassed either (without usb), but a nuforce icon mobile could be something that is going to help.

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/Iconmobile/index.php

sorry that I can't help you further 
triportsad.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 15
I've owned all the models of psp, including the pspGo, and no amp will make a difference. Get a clip+ and save your money on an amp - it won't make any difference, except make the muddiness LOUDER.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back