PSB Speakers M4U 4 --- Hybrid BA/Dynamic IEM
Feb 7, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #166 of 330
Anyone here was able to compare this with the NAD VISO HP50 headphone?  Sounds similar?  I have not heard any of the larger NAD or PSB headphones (passive ones) and wonder how they compare.

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #167 of 330
Well, I have some good news and some bad news.

First the good:

I finally got my pair of M4U 4:s, and even managed to barter the price down a good 1/6 of the retail price.

Sound quality is, as expected, phenomenal. Fantastic, natural mids, tight and accurate bass, and detailed but never harsh treble. They are indeed the PSB sound in a small package.

Now for the bad:

Comfort, or rather, the lack thereof.

Here's the deal. I have small ear canals. I always end up using size small plugs for in ear phones. I've never had any deep fit IEM:s, and I've never had any comfort issues.

However, sad to say, while my left side is perfectly fine using the Comply tips with the M4U 4:s, my right ear canal is (no pun intended) left in agony. The protrusion of the IEM causes me extreme (as far as ears are concerned) pain after just a few seconds. They even hurt a lot inserting into my right ear canal.

The pain is even worse with the silicone tips, sadly. It seems the actual problem is the angle and the deep insertion of the IEM itself; I've used several more shallow ear pieces without any comfort issues whatsoever. It seems that the nozzle of the ear piece is pushing against my ear canal, and it can't be avoided, regardless of tips used.

I'm absolutely heartbroken about this... :frowning2:

When I finally get them, I literally can't enjoy the sound of them without my right ear feeling like it's about to combust.

I'm returning them for a pair of RHA T20i:s on Monday, or possibly a set of Klipsch X11i...

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #168 of 330
Well, I have some good news and some bad news.

First the good:

I finally got my pair of M4U 4:s, and even managed to barter the price down a good 1/6 of the retail price.

Sound quality is, as expected, phenomenal. Fantastic, natural mids, tight and accurate bass, and detailed but never harsh treble. They are indeed the PSB sound in a small package.

Now for the bad:

Comfort, or rather, the lack thereof.

Here's the deal. I have small ear canals. I always end up using size small plugs for in ear phones. I've never had any deep fit IEM:s, and I've never had any comfort issues.

However, sad to say, while my left side is perfectly fine using the Comply tips with the M4U 4:s, my right ear canal is (no pun intended) left in agony. The protrusion of the IEM causes me extreme (as far as ears are concerned) pain after just a few seconds. They even hurt a lot inserting into my right ear canal.

The pain is even worse with the silicone tips, sadly. It seems the actual problem is the angle and the deep insertion of the IEM itself; I've used several more shallow ear pieces without any comfort issues whatsoever. It seems that the nozzle of the ear piece is pushing against my ear canal, an it can't be avoided, regardless of tips used.

I'm absolutely heartbroken about this... :frowning2:

When I finally get them, I literally can't enjoy the sound of them without my right ear feeling like it's about to combust.

I'm returning them for a pair of RHA T20i:s on Monday, or possibly a set of Klipsch X11i...

Sorry to hear that. I assume you have used the small size comply?

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #169 of 330
Indeed I did. I always have to use small sizes on tips to get a proper/comfortable seal. I checked and double checked the Comply tips against the others in the box, to see if I had the wrong ones on, but alas - no.

I will try them again in the morning, after a good night's sleep, but I fear my results will be the same.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #170 of 330
Indeed I did. I always have to use small sizes on tips to get a proper/comfortable seal. I checked and double checked the Comply tips against the others in the box, to see if I had the wrong ones on, but alas - no.

I will try them again in the morning, after a good night's sleep, but I fear my results will be the same.

...and my bad luck continues. As I arrive at the Hifi-store to exchange the M4U 4:s for a set of RHA T20i:s, the latter is out of stock because of a faulty delivery. Since I was expecting to get them right then and there, I didn't bring any other headphones. Now I'll be stuck at work with no music (I don't wanna re-open the M4U:s again after carefully re-packing them before the return).

Now I'm stuck waiting indefinitely for the T20i to arrive in stock again....

Sigh... My bad luck streak with electronics continues.

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #171 of 330
Alas these IEM's weren't for me
RMA this morning

I had already purchased RHA T20 a week before, which I like. I had also ordered at the same time as the M4U-4 the B&O H3's

For my personal tastes once I heard the H3's the PSB's were doomed.

Personally they just did not do it for me, as great as they may well be

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #172 of 330
Ok, some happy news:

My comfort issue has been resolved. I had tried to force the right earplug in at wrong angles, causing shaving and lingering pain. I'm using them right now with no comfort issues.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #173 of 330
Good to hear. I have owned several IEMs with similar design to the M4U4 and if you fit them wrong they all will feel uncomfortable, the T20 included. Btw the foams in the T20 are quite hard so you would likely have to buy comply foams separately unless you can find silicone tips that'd work for you. If size is an issue have tried Sony extra small hybrid tips? I find Sony hybrids one of the most comfortable silicone tips available.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #174 of 330
Good to hear. I have owned several IEMs with similar design to the M4U4 and if you fit them wrong they all will feel uncomfortable, the T20 included. Btw the foams in the T20 are quite hard so you would likely have to buy comply foams separately unless you can find silicone tips that'd work for you. If size is an issue have tried Sony extra small hybrid tips? I find Sony hybrids one of the most comfortable silicone tips available.
Thanks for the (pun intended) tips. I will try and find them. What is their official model number?

Man these things sound glorious. I'm in love all over again. Imaging is spectacular as well. I'm hearing drums enter and exit my headspace.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #175 of 330
Her is an ebay ad that looks promising

The official Sony package that goes down to the SS size (smaller than small) is EPEX10A/BLK. The ebay link allows you to get white which might match up nicely on the M4U4. But I have no idea if they have the exact same silicone as the black tips.

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #176 of 330
Thanks! I have the white version, so I'll give them a try. For now the complys work really well. :)

I have quite a lot of wax at times, so the wax-guard on the complys are a godsend.

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #177 of 330
Anyone here was able to compare this with the NAD VISO HP50 headphone?  Sounds similar?  I have not heard any of the larger NAD or PSB headphones (passive ones) and wonder how they compare.
Sorry for the late reply, but yeah, they definitely are in the same family, sound wise. To my ears they are extremely similar sounding headphones (I a/b:d the VISO against the M4U 2, and they were extremely similar in passive mode).

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #178 of 330
Ok, so here's my "one week later"-review:

Wow. What a headphone. It's like I've injected musical gold right into my head. 

After getting past and over the initial comfort issues, I now am thoroughly enjoying these gems of IEM:s.

They really can (like their full sized brother M4U 2) root out the bad recordings from the good. They are very revealing, but always musical. Extremely dynamic.

Lows:

Just as I wanted, tight, accurate and not over-blown bass. It has just enough sub extension for my taste, to provide enough for the bass to be the glue that holds the music together. Great detail; I can make out what kind of effects the bass player has used on the recording with ease. As a bass player, I take great joy in hearing bass as it's supposed to sound. Fat, punchy, supporting the music and (hopefully) not taking over too much. There is (AFAICT) no bass bleed at all, probably due to the fact that there are separate drivers in this IEM for bass and mids/highs.

Treble:

Again, very musical treble. Enough top end to make crash/splash cymbals shimmer and sound crisp, yet never strident or harsh. That's one of the issues I have with the M4U 2; it can at times have slightly harsh or strident/tiring treble, especially in active mode. While not a huge problem, I can definitely recognize it's there sometimes.

The M4U 4:s have so far shown no harshness whatsoever, even at higher volumes, which is a huge plus, seeing how IEM:s can have a tendency to tire you out due to the whole in ear thing. I.e., having harsh treble is worse for me in an in ear-model, since the treble is quite literally right inside my ear.

The resolution is (to my ears) great as well. It really reveals bad production/mixing/recording of cymbals, and really shines with good production. I'm listening to "Coma Ecliptic" right now, by Between the Buried and Me, mixed by Jens Bogren. A fantastic album with an incredibly dynamic and musical production, and it's a pure joy to listen to through these IEM:s.

Mids:

Well, I saved the best part for last.

Wow. The mids are even sweeter than on the M4U 2:s. So natural, so smooth, so musical. I know I'm repeating myself here, but man, oh man, the mids are to die for. Male voices sound absolutely stunning, guitars - whether acoustic or electric - cut like knifes, saxophones and harmonicas vibrate like they are being heard live. Female voices have a gravitas and a heft to them, that I've lacked in other headphones. Joni Mitchell's voice on "Shadows and Light" has never hit so hard for me until now.

Again, musical mids.

Summary:

Wow. I never thought I'd find a headphone I liked better than the M4U 2:s, but the M4U 4:s have done just that. The overall dynamics, musicality and balance of these IEM:s have blown me away. The old cliché of "hearing things in music you've never heard before" is applicable here, to a great extent.

Another musical homerun from Paul Barton, one which I'll be enjoying for years to come. I might even go so far as to get rid of my 2:s - they are THAT good. Now I am getting ready to have a friend ship some Sony hybrid tips from Japan (thanks for the tips @dweaver), in sizes S and SS, to see if they are as good as rumoured. BTW, can you confirm if they fit the M4U 4:s?

I really can't find anything to fault these IEM:s on. For the price I payed for them, they are nothing short of perfect.

All the listening has been straight out of the headphone jack of my Macbook Pro and iPhone 5, no amplification or DAC used - but honestly, I might sell my full size headphones to finance a DAC/amplifier, because these IEM:s might be the only headphones I'll ever need listening to music.

My hat's off to Paul Barton and the crew at PSB - you hit it out of the proverbial ball park with the M4U 4:s!

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #179 of 330

All the listening has been straight out of the headphone jack of my Macbook Pro and iPhone 5, no amplification or DAC used - but honestly, I might sell my full size headphones to finance a DAC/amplifier, because these IEM:s might be the only headphones I'll ever need listening to music.

aha... I made that mistake last year, thinking I'd replace my on/over ears with IEM- IMO at least worth keeping one pair around for when you don't feel like jamming something in your ears
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the review!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back