PSB Speakers M4U 4 --- Hybrid BA/Dynamic IEM
Sep 16, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #46 of 330
It's a personal issue between the nozzle and housing and my ear anatomy. My Crus on my left ear extends pretty far down into the Concha, and with a deep fit, hurts over a short period of time. I'll leave it at that.

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #47 of 330
How is the bass decay?

So, I been listening to it some more, but with Comply TS-500 tips, which seems to alleviate the discomfort issues. I found them much more comfortable over the stock TX-500 tips do to the differences in shape.  Anyhow, addressing your question with the bass decay, I found to be long.  It took a half a dozen listens to make sure the bass doesn't bleed into the mids, which I found it doesn't, but the bass response is much more present on these over the M4U headphones. Some of the bass is probably due to the ALO International I'm using as ALO amps tends to be bass biased to begin with, IMO.

Then, I tried them with my Blackberry Q10 /w Neutron (no EQ), and same sentiments as before. These have a bass emphasis that tilts them from the more balanced sound presentation coming from M4U headphones. So, I take back some previous verbiage from my comment stating that the M4U 4 and 1 sounding like each other.  The 4 aren't basshead iems, but does provide more of it if one found bass lacking with the PSB headphones. Still, too much bass for my taste.

Sep 21, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #48 of 330

These have a bass emphasis that tilts them from the more balanced sound presentation coming from M4U headphones. So, I take back some previous verbiage from my comment stating that the M4U 4 and 1 sounding like each other.  The 4 aren't basshead iems, but does provide more of it if one found bass lacking with the PSB headphones. Still, too much bass for my taste.

Can you compare them (even subjectively) to the vsonic gr07?

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #50 of 330
I listened to the review pair of M4U 4s today all morning at work and they are a home run! Paul Barton and the team at PSB really hit it out of the park with these IEMs!

Simply one of the most neutral and balanced presentations I've come across in IEMs and only surpassed in this respect by the JH Audio Layla's to my ears.  If you love the sound of the full sized M4U 2s but want a smaller form factor, you need to hear these IEMs!

More to come...

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #52 of 330
  Could compare the sound of these IEM's with the NAD Viso HP50?

Actually they're not too far...I would say the M4U 4s are more in line with the M4U 2 full sized headphones (a bit more neutral). Just finished my Headphone.Guru review and it should be out soon...let's just say I really liked them for now.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #53 of 330

Actually they're not too far...I would say the M4U 4s are more in line with the M4U 2 full sized headphones (a bit more neutral). Just finished my Headphone.Guru review and it should be out soon...let's just say I really liked them for now.

If it's possible to ask questions before the review is out:

1. Is the soundstage good all around?
2. Does the bass leave you wanting more punch at times?

Thank you.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #54 of 330
  If it's possible to ask questions before the review is out:

1. Is the soundstage good all around?
2. Does the bass leave you wanting more punch at times?

Thank you.

1.) Absolutely! It's the best sub $600 IEM in this regard.
2.) If you want neutral bass, then yes! If you want more and you're a basshead, then no. But you're not hearing the music as intended by the artist...but personal preferences definitely come into play here.

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #55 of 330
I tried the M4U 4, off and on, for two weeks.
I would characterize the sound as warm, in fact a little boring to my tastes.
Bass seemed substantially pronounced relative to GR07 BE, and not as well defined.
Treble also seemed subdued.

Sound-wise, for me it's a solid, "meh"...

Comfort-wise, I thought their insertion depth was too much.
I don't like my earphones to tickle my pituitary, which these will, unless they're not worn flush, or you are a giant.

The nicest thing I can say about them is that they isolate very well.

Not impressed at all...
This is disappointing, as I really appreciate all the great acoustic and electronic engineering that went into these. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #56 of 330
I just joined the (very small) club today. They fit me very well (I have vary large ear canals. I use a Sony Hybrid size LL (special order) on the left ear and a L on the right. Bass is a bit overwhelming right now, but maybe with some burn-in it will settle down.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #57 of 330
  I just joined the (very small) club today. They fit me very well (I have vary large ear canals. I use a Sony Hybrid size LL (special order) on the left ear and a L on the right. Bass is a bit overwhelming right now, but maybe with some burn-in it will settle down.

I'd play around with the ear tips..the bass is quite neutral IMO...but keep in mind that the Room Feel has to do with adding back the bass that's imparted into a speaker system by the gain of the room...so Paul Barton mentioned that based on this the Harmon FR curve is actually understating the bass by a few dB...and comparing the PSB M4U 4 (or M4U 2 for that matter), I agree that this sounds more inline with my speaker setup.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #58 of 330

I'd play around with the ear tips..the bass is quite neutral IMO...but keep in mind that the Room Feel has to do with adding back the bass that's imparted into a speaker system by the gain of the room...so Paul Barton mentioned that based on this the Harmon FR curve is actually understating the bass by a few dB...and comparing the PSB M4U 4 (or M4U 2 for that matter), I agree that this sounds more inline with my speaker setup.

The bass settled right down after a couple of hours. The decay might be a smidge long, but it's not boomy and overpowering anymore.  The soundstage on these is freaking huge!  These are going to be keepers.

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #59 of 330
  I listened to the review pair of M4U 4s today all morning at work and they are a home run! Paul Barton and the team at PSB really hit it out of the park with these IEMs!

Simply one of the most neutral and balanced presentations I've come across in IEMs and only surpassed in this respect by the JH Audio Layla's to my ears.  If you love the sound of the full sized M4U 2s but want a smaller form factor, you need to hear these IEMs!

More to come...

Thanks for the review. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #60 of 330
  The bass settled right down after a couple of hours. The decay might be a smidge long, but it's not boomy and overpowering anymore.  The soundstage on these is freaking huge!  These are going to be keepers.

Give it some more time....but the decay may also depend on your source. My iPhone's bass is a quite a bit flabbier than say my AK240SS...but then again, no surprises there. 
wink.gif

Thanks for the review. 

I'm glad you liked it...these are killer IEMs IMO and best pretty much everything in the $600 or less market space that I've heard so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back