PSB Speakers M4U 4 --- Hybrid BA/Dynamic IEM
Aug 25, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #31 of 330
  I haven't checked the chart yet and to be honest don't know who the reviewer is so not familiar with his bass tolerance. Looking forward to hearing it.

Well, he has a history of stating earphones have no bass, and calling balanced earphones (e.g. TDK BA200) anemic and strident.

I'm very concerned by the amount of boost applied here. It looks quite a bit greater than the Olive-Welti curve. I know the PSB curve is supposed to be a little bassier, based on history, but this looks like too much, and partially it should be the challenge of restricting the rising bass response to <100 Hz, which is very difficult with a dynamic driver. They've only done it with the Shure SE846, and the new Massdrop/CustomArt Ei.XX is supposed to be that way as well, but this looks too bloated, honestly.

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #32 of 330

Well, he has a history of stating earphones have no bass, and calling balanced earphones (e.g. TDK BA200) anemic and strident.

I'm very concerned by the amount of boost applied here. It looks quite a bit greater than the Olive-Welti curve. I know the PSB curve is supposed to be a little bassier, based on history, but this looks like too much, and partially it should be the challenge of restricting the rising bass response to <100 Hz, which is very difficult with a dynamic driver. They've only done it with the Shure SE846, and the new Massdrop/CustomArt Ei.XX is supposed to be that way as well, but this looks too bloated, honestly.

Well to be fair the BA200 does lack subbass. These measurements do look disappointing, it doesn't seem to follow the curve the NAD Viso HP50 follows so well. Matter of fact, neither did the HP20, there is something wrong here...Not only is it too bassy, but it also has a peak at 3.5k, which makes it seem like they missed the curve they intended, and there is a lack of treble extension. If you look at the measurements of the Marshall Mode EQ by the same site, those have results more akin to the HP50 more than these....(though bassy)

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #33 of 330

I don't really think IEM measurements make too much sense or have too much significance compared to headphones measurements imo.
The crossover and such which are a challenge when it comes to making multi-driver iems (especially with hybrids with different drivers) should be the real challenge PSB must have had to face. Anyways, I was just thinking that iem measurements are not very accurate in general compared to headphone measurement in terms of how they represent the overall sound that's actually the result.

As an afterthought, maybe the boost is the result of Comply tips? I personally think Comply tips worsen the sound across all frequency.
Also I don't think the chart's compensation was done the most usual way compared to other people's.

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #34 of 330
  I don't really think IEM measurements make too much sense or have too much significance compared to headphones measurements imo.
The crossover and such which are a challenge when it comes to making multi-driver iems (especially with hybrids with different drivers) should be the real challenge PSB must have had to face. Anyways, I was just thinking that iem measurements are not very accurate in general compared to headphone measurement in terms of how they represent the overall sound that's actually the result.

As an afterthought, maybe the boost is the result of Comply tips? I personally think Comply tips worsen the sound across all frequency.
Also I don't think the chart's compensation was done the most usual way compared to other people's.

Crossovers aren't that complicated, actually. Seriously.

It's more that people also tend to overestimate the need to compensate for the "missing 6 dB", especially if they're new to the world of in-ears.

Comply tips might subjectively cause a qualitative difference in the bass response, but when measured through an ear simulator, significant differences shouldn't arise at all.

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #35 of 330
Comply tips don't increase bass, if anything in some cases tame bass as the material is less dense than silicone. Comply T series tends to sound dark at times because in some cases it takes the 8-10k regions significantly

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #36 of 330
I discovered this with my IE80. Silicone tips were better for all things bass... with that being said, I usually had comply on the IE80 since fit was an issue. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #40 of 330
Yes. With the comply tips it does have the same DNA as the M4U1 (more on that later). But I prefer a little more topend presence which the included silicone tips provides. Sadly those tips don't jive well with me fit wise, so I'm waiting on some Ortofon and Spriral tips.

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #42 of 330
Yes. With the comply tips it does have the same DNA as the M4U1 (more on that later). But I prefer a little more topend presence which the included silicone tips provides. Sadly those tips don't jive well with me fit wise, so I'm waiting on some Ortofon and Spriral tips.

This sounds promising. I like the MAU1 and 2.

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #43 of 330
^Then, I'm sure you'll like the M4U 4.  While I'm waiting on my silicone tips. I'll post a thorough impression in the next few days with tasty pictures using only the stock Comply tips (TX-500) as I recall reading somewhere that Paul voiced the M4U 4 with those tips.

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #44 of 330
Sorry folks.  No review is planned, which is disappointing as I really liked what I was hearing for about 30 minutes.  My problem is long term comfort and fit.  I still stand that if you dig the M4U 1/2 sound, you'll enjoy the M4U 4.  I sold off my M4U 1 only because of the clamping force for long term listening and rejoiced that PSB was coming out with the M4U 4.  It's the first time that a headphone and iem from the same brand actually sounds quite close to each other despite the physical limitations of design and implementation.

For those wondering about the cable, it's looks to be a proprietary design as it uses the same type found with Sleek Audio and the Panasonic HJE900 iems, but the barrel is thicker. There appears to be a catch ring inside the M4U 4 housing as there's a click when inserting the cable pin, and there's enough tension to it prevent the housing from revolving side to side. The cable itself is rather thick but rubbery.  Those who've owned or auditioned the NuForce Primo8 will conclude that the cables are nearly identical. Appears to be of good quality and the plug is very slim so no issues when connected to any smartphone or device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back