PSB Speakers M4U 4 --- Hybrid BA/Dynamic IEM
Mar 9, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #211 of 330

IMO, they sound better than most $500+ IEMs I've heard/owned. 

I liked them best of the three (PSB M4u 4, Pinnacle P1, Rockets), but returned them because of fit issues. They r all pretty much in the same ballpark to me since they all sound great, but portability continues to be an after thought until I go out with them, and then I am begging for my Rockets. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #212 of 330
  No earphone I've owned (or heard) $500 or less sounds better than the M4u4. That's how good these babies are to my ears. And this dual hybrid single-handedly beats every triple-hybrid universal earphone I've heard. It's a true winner! Happy listening. 

So in your signature it would slot in with "1964 V6 = FX850 = Aurisonics AS-2 (hybrid)" tier?

Could you offer some quick thoughts vs 2000J... someone else was curious about this too.

I liked them best of the three (PSB M4u 4, Pinnacle P1, Rockets), but returned them because of fit issues. They r all pretty much in the same ballpark to me since they all sound great, but portability continues to be an after thought until I go out with them, and then I am begging for my Rockets. 

So weird given how tiny the rockets are that I have never found them super comfortable no matter how I wear them. Might be the cable? I should try a Sugru mod or something to turn it into a right angle. I bet custom tips would be awesome for them.

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #213 of 330
  So in your signature it would slot in with "1964 V6 = FX850 = Aurisonics AS-2 (hybrid)" tier?

Could you offer some quick thoughts vs 2000J... someone else was curious about this too.

So weird given how tiny the rockets are that I have never found them super comfortable no matter how I wear them. Might be the cable? I should try a Sugru mod or something to turn it into a right angle. I bet custom tips would be awesome for them.

Haven't had time to add to signature yet, and I corrected my post to say "no universal" I've heard for $500 or less. I don't have the time to do any detailed comparisons of individual universals at the moment. Sorry. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #214 of 330

I wear them without the trip-tabs and size up one level on my eartips. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #215 of 330

Haven't had time to add to signature yet, and I corrected my post to say "no universal" I've heard for $500 or less. I don't have the time to do any detailed comparisons of individual universals at the moment. Sorry. 

ah, the = fx850 = bit threw me off

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #216 of 330
The M4U4 is definitely one of the best IEM's I have heard under $500 as well. I vastly prefer it to the Rockets. I just bought the KEF M100 on sale and thought it was very good but when I do an A/B comparison the M4U4 is definitely better from a technical and musical perspective. The only IEM I like more is the XBA-Z5 and that is only in a balanced configuration from my Pono and the Z5 while better to me is not guaranteed to be better for everyone as it has a larger bass presence giving it a more weighted presentation.

On a different note the new KEF M400 might be a great on ear soul mate to the M4U4 as it has a more detailed sound than the M100. But let me do a couple A/B comparisons to be sure.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #217 of 330
  ah, the = fx850 = bit threw me off

But I never stated that the other earphones in my signature aren't still great. I never stated the FX850 is a bad earphone now (it's still awesome)....lol. A lot has to do with sound signatures. I've said this many years ago, and I'll say it again: THERE IS NO ONE HOLY GRAIL!!! There are several, and there's more than one endgame. It's all depends on the individual listener. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #218 of 330

And for you folks, Eric's heard A LOT of IEMs through the years!

I prefer the M4U 4 to the W40, IE80 and SE535. Only the new Klipsch X20i pull ahead for me (and not by much).

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #219 of 330
Definitely no Holy Grail when it comes to headphones and IEM's.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #220 of 330

But I never stated that the other earphones in my signature aren't still great. I never stated the FX850 is a bad earphone now (it's still awesome)....lol. A lot has to do with sound signatures. I've said this many years ago, and I'll say it again: THERE IS NO ONE HOLY GRAIL!!! There are several, and there's more than one endgame. It's all depends on the individual listener. 

Loved the fx850 myself.
Certainly agree there is no holy grail... not sure about 'endgame', a carrot perpetually dangling just out of reach, constantly trying new headphones is a very difficult habit to break.

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #221 of 330
I got a pair in yesterday. Initial impressions are just ok. Bass is a little boomy and lacking texture compared to say the Rockets, P1 or N20. The midrange is very reminiscent of the HP50, which is good and a strong point for male vocals. Treble is just ok. While it's slightly improved presence over the HP50, it's quality isn't as good. The HP50 treble was more refined with better timbre.

What's up with the rubbery cable? Ugh. The iOS cable kept flopping over my ears, so I put the non-mic cable back on. I would have expected a little more premium quality cable.

Not a bad earphone by any stretch but not as good as I had hoped. I'll probably use them as my workout and yard work iem where the extra bass is needed due to environment.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #223 of 330
I got a pair in yesterday. Initial impressions are just ok. Bass is a little boomy and lacking texture compared to say the Rockets, P1 or N20. The midrange is very reminiscent of the HP50, which is good and a strong point for male vocals. Treble is just ok. While it's slightly improved presence over the HP50, it's quality isn't as good. The HP50 treble was more refined with better timbre.

What's up with the rubbery cable? Ugh. The iOS cable kept flopping over my ears, so I put the non-mic cable back on. I would have expected a little more premium quality cable.

Not a bad earphone by any stretch but not as good as I had hoped. I'll probably use them as my workout and yard work iem where the extra bass is needed due to environment.

Did you give the PSB a shot with the Comply tips?  I did not like them very much with the silicon, and then the comply tips...Boom.  

Totally agree with you on the over the ear mic cable.

Cheers!

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #224 of 330
Did you give the PSB a shot with the Comply tips?  I did not like them very much with the silicon, and then the comply tips...Boom.  

Totally agree with you on the over the ear mic cable.

Cheers!

Yeah I tried the stock comply and some without the earwax guard. While the treble timbre definitely improved, it's presence became too subdued. I'm going to try reverse comply on those without the earwax guard and see if the darkness was caused by the nozzle angle and getting foam overhang crushed over the opening, or the earwax guard in the other case. If it improves presence, I'll rip the earwax guards out of the stock comply.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #225 of 330
Yeah I tried the stock comply and some without the earwax guard. While the treble timbre definitely improved, it's presence became too subdued. I'm going to try reverse comply on those without the earwax guard and see if the darkness was caused by the nozzle angle and getting foam overhang crushed over the opening, or the earwax guard in the other case. If it improves presence, I'll rip the earwax guards out of the stock comply.

These IEM;s especially make crap recordings sound like crap (some Random Maroon 5 song)....I made that mistake on my first listen - almost cost me  :)

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back