PSB M4U 2
Nov 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #226 of 733
I've got them both right here beside me, and while the 1 isn't broken in yet, early indications are that they're going to sound very similar if not the same when in passive mode.

The M4U2 in active mode without NC is still the best sound to my ears.

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #227 of 733
Quote:
I've got them both right here beside me, and while the 1 isn't broken in yet, early indications are that they're going to sound very similar if not the same when in passive mode.

The M4U2 in active mode without NC is still the best sound to my ears.

Thank you for chiming in!  If passive performance is, in fact, identical between the two models the M4U 1 could represent an excellent value.  While they don't paint the complete picture, perhaps measurements could be produced in the (near) future...?

FWIW, I preferred the M4U 2 in passive and don't recall if I ever even felt compelled to engage the noise cancellation circuitry when I owned it.

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #228 of 733
Quote:

Thank you for chiming in!  If passive performance is, in fact, identical between the two models the M4U 1 could represent an excellent value.  While they don't paint the complete picture, perhaps measurements could be produced in the (near) future...?

FWIW, I preferred the M4U 2 in passive and don't recall if I ever even felt compelled to engage the noise cancellation circuitry when I owned it.

Based on reviews, the M4U1 and MDR-IR would seem to have a similar signature.  I am curious for a comparison.

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #229 of 733
Quote:
Based on reviews, the M4U1 and MDR-IR would seem to have a similar signature.  I am curious for a comparison.

Please don't take this as me being confrontational, but have there been any proper M4U 1 reviews?  I'm extremely interested in reading them and, especially, direct comparisons to the M4U 2.  I feel as though I'm hearing the 1 differently than the 2 on a technical level but, as I disclosed above, I can't be completely certain given the variables. (again, thank you PolkManiac for your input!)

In addition, based on the impressions from Anakchan and the recent quip from Jude I can't help but deduce that the M4U series performs quite a bit differently than the MDR-1R with the former boasting "boring" neutrality and the latter some "fun" coloring.  Nothing beats a first-hand account in a user-controlled setting, however, so the particulars of the MDR-1R will most likely remain a mystery to me unless some contrasting opinions surface.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #230 of 733
Quote:

Please don't take this as me being confrontational, but have there been any proper M4U 1 reviews? 

I haven't seen any. But then, nobody I know has got theirs yet.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #231 of 733
I can snag a pair of these from a friend at $300. I do not need the amp but would use the ANC for planes, etc. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is $300 a relatively good deal for these in perfect condition?
2. I have a Fiio E11 and won't need the amp. I guess the amp functions when using ANC? 
3. Do we know for sure if the newer versions of these have the headbands fixed? He got them from Crutchfield and they are relatively new, within 6 weeks. 

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #232 of 733
Quote:
I can snag a pair of these from a friend at $300. I do not need the amp but would use the ANC for planes, etc. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is $300 a relatively good deal for these in perfect condition?
2. I have a Fiio E11 and won't need the amp. I guess the amp functions when using ANC? 
3. Do we know for sure if the newer versions of these have the headbands fixed? He got them from Crutchfield and they are relatively new, within 6 weeks. 

1.  I would say yes
2.  There is also an amp option without NC
3. not sure

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #233 of 733
I haven't seen any. But then, nobody I know has got theirs yet.

I represent Lenbrook so I handle PSB and NAD with the press and arrange for reviews, etc.

M4U 1 just arrived and starting shipping to dealers. We have sent a few samples to reviewers such as Jude here at Head-Fi and Tyll Hertsens at Inner Fidelity. We are in discussion with a few others. We had so many reviews on M4U 2 that many reviewers don't feel the need to do M4U 1.

M4U1 and M4U 2 in passive mode sound virtually the same. However M4U 1 is lighter because it doesn't have amplifier and noise-canceling circuitry.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #234 of 733
Yes, that helps indeed. Thank you.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #235 of 733
Hello guys,
I'm very interested in these headphones but something bothers me : the remote. I plan to use them with my ipod/iphone 4.

What does it actually do? Does it have 3 buttons like every last gen remotes for iphone?

If I want to change the cable/remote, can I switch it to another brand (like the one sold by V-Moda)?

Thanks for your answers.

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #236 of 733
Quote:
Hello guys,
I'm very interested in these headphones but something bothers me : the remote. I plan to use them with my ipod/iphone 4.

What does it actually do? Does it have 3 buttons like every last gen remotes for iphone?

If I want to change the cable/remote, can I switch it to another brand (like the one sold by V-Moda)?

Thanks for your answers.

It includes a cable with a one-button remote (and an audio-only cable). And, yes, a V-MODA cable's plug does fit in that narrow gap in the yoke, and works fine.

Because you asked, I'm using a V-MODA 3-button cable now with the M4U 1. Thanks for the idea! (I'm an iPhone user.)

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #237 of 733
Well I am waiting for a loaner set of these as I am extremely interested in PSB's attempt at headphones. From what I can get her, they u1's never really came to fruition.

If anyone in the UK wants a set of these then I can get a couple of sets off my contact at a reasonable price. I want to try before I buy, though my contact knows some quite important people in the industry here and 1 or 2 in the states. He was in a meeting when the PSB's were introduced to his company (for them to of course become resellers). He says that it was 1 of a few times that the whole meeting room agreed that something punched extremely above its weight. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on them as I have only tried some old Bose and Monster inspiration noise cancellers and both left me thinking they were never with the money, surprisingly the Monsters were better than the Bose but that said, the Bose were easily 3 years old (which is of course"light years" in the land of tech.

PM me if in the north of England if you want to try them when I get them.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #238 of 733
I've had mine for a few days.  I guess other people have the same issue, but when I'm near my laptop with them powered on I get a rapid wic-wic-wic sound just out of the right cup.  usually goes away if i move away from the laptop, or once music plays.  Interesting thing is if i start playing music and then stop, it doesnt come back unless I move my head right next to the monitor again.  Anyways like the sound, but dont know if this is a defect or just a part of the headphone's active circuitry design.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #239 of 733
Quote:
I've had mine for a few days.  I guess other people have the same issue, but when I'm near my laptop with them powered on I get a rapid wic-wic-wic sound just out of the right cup.  usually goes away if i move away from the laptop, or once music plays.  Interesting thing is if i start playing music and then stop, it doesnt come back unless I move my head right next to the monitor again.  Anyways like the sound, but dont know if this is a defect or just a part of the headphone's active circuitry design.

Either way it doesn't sound good! It could be a problem with the shielding? Allowing the laptop to interfere? Though that is my inexperienced stab at it. I'd get in touch with them personally.

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #240 of 733
FYI my set has the cracks in the headband and the creaking left hinge. I called PSB and got a warranty replacement on the way. They should be here Monday so I will let everyone know on the new sets build quality. That's the only reservation on this headphone IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back