PSB M4U 2
Sep 9, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #166 of 733
I think you should change the topic to "mid-priced". There is nothing "mid-fi" about the PSB phones.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #170 of 733
Well my replacement pair now also has a cracked headband. Not too happy about it, so they are going back for a refund. The second set lasted 2 months instead of 2 weeks like the first.

I pre-ordered the M-100's because I had a feeling they wouldn't last. A shame, I've really enjoyed these headphones. Opened my ears up to good quality sound.

Spewing the build quality wasn't as good as the sound quality.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #171 of 733
Quote:
Well my replacement pair now also has a cracked headband. Not too happy about it, so they are going back for a refund. The second set lasted 2 months instead of 2 weeks like the first.
I pre-ordered the M-100's because I had a feeling they wouldn't last. A shame, I've really enjoyed these headphones. Opened my ears up to good quality sound.
Spewing the build quality wasn't as good as the sound quality.

Sorry to hear, but based on this I can take the upcoming M4U1 off my short list.  The new Sennheiser Momentum also looks sturdy.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #172 of 733
Sorry to hear, but based on this I can take the upcoming M4U1 off my short list.  The new Sennheiser Momentum also looks sturdy.

I agree about the momentum! Looks awesome! Don't discount the PSB's so quickly, apparently they are working on a new headband for them. It takes nearly 2 weeks postage to get a replacement sent to me and it's getting a bit ridiculous. I'd love to keep them but 2 weeks every 2 months doesn't work for me.

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #173 of 733
The QC issue with the headband is a problem, but they're working on it and will get it figured out.

I can pretty much guarantee you that the Momentum will not sound as good as the PSB.  I'm ordering both the Momentum and the M100 as well and would love either of those to sound better than the PSB as they're both better looking and likely better built, but I don't see either one of those performing on par with the PSB.

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #174 of 733
It's all subjective. When people pay $1300 for "Hifi" headphones, then pay more for an amp, then Mid-Fi would be around 600 and lower. 

Again, it's all subjective anyway.

No. When it comes to "Fi" which means "Fidelity", it's about what sounds good and what does not, regardless of price. 

Quote:

I'd wait for the M4U1. There has been a delay in their release date so they may be working on the headband problem.

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #175 of 733
hi there....was just wondering how common the cracking of the PSB M4U has been.....they are on my wish list but would like to avoid the hassle of having to have them replaced every now and then no matter how reassuring the people from PSB are. Has there been anybody who got the PSB M4U 2 and has not encountered any problems with the headband cracking following normal use?
Also are the V-Moda M100 a good alternative set of headphones if I decide that it's not worth taking the risk? I would prefer headphones that can be used on the go, have balanced sound on all frequencies whereas some noise cancellation would be of benefit when commuting, flying etc
Cheers

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #176 of 733
Quote:
hi there....was just wondering how common the cracking of the PSB M4U has been.....they are on my wish list but would like to avoid the hassle of having to have them replaced every now and then no matter how reassuring the people from PSB are. Has there been anybody who got the PSB M4U 2 and has not encountered any problems with the headband cracking following normal use?
Also are the V-Moda M100 a good alternative set of headphones if I decide that it's not worth taking the risk? I would prefer headphones that can be used on the go, have balanced sound on all frequencies whereas some noise cancellation would be of benefit when commuting, flying etc
Cheers

The cracking is enough of an issue for me that I am looking into other options.  I have preordered the M-100, so I do consider them a favorable, and perhaps superior, alternative.  However, they may be hard to come by over the next few months, but keep an eye on Amazon.  Another option you may want to consider is the new Sennheiser Momentum which is receiving solid reviews and may bear some similarity to the M4U2 regarding sound.  Razordogdeals.com has had Momentum in and out of stock.  I don't know anywhere else to get them presently.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #177 of 733
I have owned the M4U2s for a little over a month and a half now, using them both at home and on the go and am yet to see any signs of cracking. Although the headband definitely looks like it has potential to crack (brittle plastic feel to it). Also, these headphones are quite large when in their carrying case (they take up a good portion of my backpack), so just keep that in mind when considering something for on-the-go. Great sound, though :wink:

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #178 of 733
Quote:
Cheers

I've owned and used my M4U 2 on a daily basis since April 17. I've yet to have my headband crack, creak or otherwise. They still look like they were when I opened them from the box on that day. According to PSB, it was only a small subset of these cans that did suffer those cracking problems, so maybe it was a different plastic maker, different process, or something else that made this subset more prone to cracks.

Craigster, you've been singing the praises of these PSB cans for quite some time stating they are on your short list, yet you've never bought a pair. And you've never heard the M-100 yet you've already considered them as "favourable" to the PSB and have already ordered a set of those (which still aren't shipping), I'm a bit confused here. Do you have a history with V-Moda? What was it about the PSB that you didn't like or thought could be bettered by V-Moda or "other" cans? Or was it just that you knew the M-100 was coming out so you thought you'd wait (for many months) and compare?

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #179 of 733
Quote:
I've owned and used my M4U 2 on a daily basis since April 17. I've yet to have my headband crack, creak or otherwise. They still look like they were when I opened them from the box on that day. According to PSB, it was only a small subset of these cans that did suffer those cracking problems, so maybe it was a different plastic maker, different process, or something else that made this subset more prone to cracks.

Craigster, you've been singing the praises of these PSB cans for quite some time stating they are on your short list, yet you've never bought a pair. And you've never heard the M-100 yet you've already considered them as "favourable" to the PSB and have already ordered a set of those (which still aren't shipping), I'm a bit confused here. Do you have a history with V-Moda? What was it about the PSB that you didn't like or thought could be bettered by V-Moda or "other" cans? Or was it just that you knew the M-100 was coming out so you thought you'd wait (for many months) and compare?

This is a fair question.  I am really torn with all the amazing headphones coming out.  I really do like the M4U2, but I suppose it is the promise of something better around the corner that is causing hesitation.  I purchased and returned Amperior based on A/Bing with the M4U2 and determined the M4U2 was better than Amperior in every aspect regarding their sound.  I also ordered and returned the Denon D400 and D600.  Returning the D400 was a no-brainer as it is simply horrible.  I A/B'd the D600 against the M4U2 and they are very different sonically.  The D600 is superior in resolution and detail which made a significant difference regarding the transparency of vocals.  However, the M4U2 was far superior with bass punch, depth and presence.  So, I am still looking for a headphone with even more upside on the bass than M4U2 with the resolution of the D600.  I am waiting to see if the M-100 will live up to that hype as the early CNet impression indicates it might.  I also have my eye on the Momentum, Yamaha Pro500, AKG Tiesto K267 and Ultrasone Signature DJ.  Most of these will be out by the beginning of October, so I plan to make a final decision then and to have the M-100 in hand for comparison.  I will also consider the M4U1 since I already use a FiiO amp and don't need the extra cost and weight of the amp in the M4U2.  I don't know that there has ever been this many new options at once for quality, portable, closed circumaural headphones and I want to carefully make the best choice for my needs.  V-Moda has a 60-day return and if they are not as good as expected, I would not hesitate to return them either.  My loyalty is to the company that gets it right and produces the headphone that sounds best to my ears, but I have become somewhat of a V-Moda fan after auditioning the M-80 and seeing how involved the CEO is regarding interaction and feedback from Head-fi members.  In terms of headphones under $400 that are available for purchase as of 9/21/12, I will still state that the M4U2 is one of the best options available and the best option for audiophile portable use.

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #180 of 733
Thank you guys...your comments are very helpful...i think i'll probably take the plunge and go for the PSBs after all since they seem to tick most of the boxes for me... except perhaps for the portability as I appreciate the comment on their case which looks rather bulky and thick 
bigsmile_face.gif

I contacted PSB as well and was told that their batch in the UK is new and that I should not expect any probs so hopefully there won't be any issues.
Nevertheless the M100 sound very promising too and might be worth waiting for another few weeks before a final decision is made

Users who are viewing this thread

Back