PSB M4U 2
May 22, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #406 of 733
Does it look better in person than in pictures?  I want to pull the trigger but I'm not feeling the look. Compared to the sennheiser momentum.

Nope. Not a headphone to buy if you care about what it looks like.

May 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #407 of 733
Heh. Call me shallow but I can't truly like a headphone if I don't like the look. I don't have to love It, I just can't dislike it.

These just seem a little too glossy.Might buy them anyway, since I don't hate the look.

May 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #408 of 733
Quote:
Heh. Call me shallow but I can't truly like a headphone if I don't like the look. I don't have to love It, I just can't dislike it.

These just seem a little too glossy.Might buy them anyway, since I don't hate the look.

Definitely,  Depends on the price for me though.  The design isn't so important to me the lower the price tag, I can view the phone as a functional tool.  As the price tag / premium increases I feel the design component comes into play

May 24, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #411 of 733
Quote:
Damn! I might just go with these but... The look is so holding me back.

You can't see them when they are on your head. If you want the best headphone in it's category regardless of price, then it has to be the PSB. Just look at what each of them have won in way of awards and recognition, reviews. That alone should answer your question. I like my Sony's for travel due to the weight but the PSB's are the best closed headphone I have listened to for a long time. I think you just need time to audition them if pos?

May 24, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #418 of 733
It seems I probably would too.  I don't really like dark headphones unless the midrange is very clear.  PSB seems to be very balanced, plus they cost less than the momentum. 

You see I have sort of a theory/system.

I buy a headphone that (98%) Iv'e never heard and base my purchase only on measurements and other reviews.  

I obtain the headphone start to like it a little bit, compare it to my other cans, and 70% of the time, the upgrade is either very minimal or more like a side-grade.  I believe in brun in but I only believe it when it actually happens.  I always see it as more of a perk of actually keeping the headphones for a while, and not as something you just wait for.

So what's keeping me from returning this headphone 2 weeks later? The build, comfort, and aesthetics.  First I think about comfort, then looks, and then don't worry about build because, let's face it, if I knew there were build issues already present with the headphone than I would be prepared for them. 

Basically, the difference between a $150 can and $300 can is minimal (in the closed headphone world) in my experience, so it's best to go with what I love to look at, and just feel glad to have.

The PSB may be better than the cans I have now (the ATH WS99 and MDR 1R) but it won't be mind blowing or anything close to that, so I must love the  aesthetics.

Enough of my rant though, I've been thinking of grabbing some HD598 because so far, I've become dissatisfied with the sound quality of $300 closed portables. Now that I think about it, why do I buy portable headphones?  The isolation isn't good enough for the subway, or bus, and open headphones are both more comfortable and imo sound better. I guess it was only for the bass, which quite frankly is okay at first (right when you get the headphone or just put it on)  but just gets annoying later on.

I know I've gotten on a crazy tangent but I've got nothing to do so...
My point is that sound is all good and nice but it's not the end all be all IMO.

I mean, just look at these things:

May 24, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #419 of 733
Quote:
If you are near Philly, Worldwide Stereo has a fantastic headphone demo section that includes the M4U2 along with the full line from Sennheiser and Grado.

Quote:
I live in Philly!

I am near KOP.  Their Montgomeryville Store on 309 is the flagship and has the best selection of high end headphones to demo in the area.  Nice to run into a local Head-fier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back