PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...
Mar 11, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #211 of 411
  Makes sense now, the reason you cant hear anyone is because as soon as you plug into the controller, it Automatically takes over as the chat device.

What this means is that BOTH incoming chat (other players) as well as out-going chat (your voice) will be sent through the controller. Same thing happens when you try to connect a USB mic. This is the sole reason I made this thread. The PS3 could send incoming chat (other players) through optical (so you can hear it in your headphones) while at the same time allowing you to use a USB mic. The PS4 in its current state cant...sad IMO.

Yeah but the Tritton AX Pro use the same connection but the chat works.

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #213 of 411
Hi Guys

New here, first post. 
I was browsing the internet trying to find some answers and came across this forum.
Forgive me if I am being repetitive here, which I am sure I am. I read through the first few pages of this thread but not all 15.
I was hoping I could get some advice/direct answers because all of the different information is confusing and hard to sift through.

I am about to buy my first pair of decent headphones for game immersion. I have a nice 5.1 speaker system but I want to add headphones to my set up now. I bought the ps gold headset and quickly realized the sound quality was not going to meet my standards so now I'm on an audio quest for proper headphones.
I am having trouble deciding on pair but I think I am between the m50x and dt770 80. But that is a separate conversation. 

I've realized I will need a sound processor for my ps3 and ps4 to have virtual surround with my new headphones. I am looking at the original DSS and the Mix amp pro 2013.
I wanted to ask a couple direct questions for clarification's sake regarding the set up and functional of those two devices.  

- The mix amp pro will be able to provide game audio and chat via separate mic correct?
- Can this be done via the y adapter in the mixamps 3.5 jack or will I need to buy a separate usb adapter and plug it into the mixamp?
- Will the dss provide chat and audio using a y adapter either in the 3.5 or usb, or is the dss a no go?
- Can either or both of these devices be powered by plugging the usb into an ac adapter and into the wall as opposed to plugging into the console?
- Would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks in advance!
Cole

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #214 of 411
Mixamp via USB to ps3/ps4 for chat. Optical for audio.

Y female adapter, headphones and mic plugs into that, which plugs into the Mixamp's sole 3.5mm jack.

Change the settings on the playstaion, you're done.

If youre far away from the console, you're gonna need a really long usb and optical cable so that you can keep the Mixamp near you. Either that or leave the Mixamp near the console and use an extension cable for your headphones, and you'll have to get up to adjust the Mixamp.

This is why I use the Mixamp 5.8.

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #215 of 411
Thanks Mad.
I did some research on the 5.8, I see your point. It seems I'd just need to get a 2.5m to 3.5m adapter and use the xbox chat cable for it work, but the 5.8's are impossible to find (the pro's availability isn't much better, but I did find it on bestbuy). I'm only about 6-7 feet from my tv. I'm expecting the headphone and microphone cable to reach, but I hadn't considered that I will be up and down to adjust the mixamp.

So, the DSS? That's a no go right? That cannot do chat on the sony consoles?

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #216 of 411
The DSS is the same in that its a device that needs to be close to you...

And dss only does chat for turtle beach headsets.

If you look at Microsofts store, I believe they still have Mixamp 5.8s...

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #219 of 411
Yea I think I answered my own question. It always worked (with a 3.5m Y adapter) because of a link between the usb/power on the receiver and a usb port on the ps3, it was only the ps4 that needed a patch job, right? Sorry, it's taking me a minute but I think I'm getting it...
Now to find a 5.8....

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #224 of 411
The other day I saw one selling for $70 on Orlando Craigslist, if it wasn't because I already own one I would have buyed it. The 5.8 MixAmp is a fine piece of audio equipment.

Mar 15, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #225 of 411
Yea I think I answered my own question. It always worked (with a 3.5m Y adapter) because of a link between the usb/power on the receiver and a usb port on the ps3, it was only the ps4 that needed a patch job, right? Sorry, it's taking me a minute but I think I'm getting it...
Now to find a 5.8....

Ugh I think I am wrong about this. The cable that allowed chat on the ps3 is discontinued and not available anywhere. The fix seems to be only for the ps4 , as it connects to the controller. Can someone confirm that chat on the ps3 won't be possible with the 5.8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back