PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset...
Mar 1, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #196 of 411
  Great, hopefully have this set up by the end of the coming week. Not to be a bother, but my brother was looking into the mixamp option and had a question to verify the set up. Have you got your 5.8 mixamp wired like so;

TX unit to optical and usb port of ps4
Headphones to headphone port of RX unit
RX unit to ps4 controller via turtle beach ps4 chat cable? And does that adequately provide sound and mic?

Thank you again, this is all new to me

TX unit to optical and usb port of ps4 <- No, just optical and powered using AC power adapter.
Headphones to headphone port of RX unit <- Yes, but using four pole connector for microphone and headphone.
RX unit to ps4 controller via turtle beach ps4 chat cable? <- Yes, this is necessary.

And does that adequately provide sound and mic? <- Perfect sound, loud and clear.

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #197 of 411
TX unit to optical and usb port of ps4 <- No, just optical and powered using AC power adapter.
Headphones to headphone port of RX unit <- Yes, but using four pole connector for microphone and headphone.
RX unit to ps4 controller via turtle beach ps4 chat cable? <- Yes, this is necessary.

And does that adequately provide sound and mic? <- Perfect sound, loud and clear.

That's great, thank you very much!

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #198 of 411
So any chances that someone will develop a mixamp in the future to fix the ps4 headset chat problems? It can't be that difficult. I just need a mixamp for front, surround CTR/sub and one for the microfone.

But all mixamps don't have a microfone jack. I use the coolermaster sirus s btw.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #199 of 411
ALL Astro Mixamps have a microphone jack... its a hybrid, that is meant for 4 pole plugs, and if you need a separate audio and chat input, that's why you get the female Y adapter that connects to the Mixamp.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #202 of 411
The Astro Mixamp is useless for my headset. It's because my headset is not a virtual surround sound headset.

What does that mean? There shouldn't be any need for a virtual surround headset with the Mixamp. The Mixamp takes ANY headphone or headset that has two standard drivers, and turns it into vitual surround. ANY. I fail to see how it's useless to any headset, unless the headset has a lot of crappy speakers jammed into the cup. The so-called real surround.

Hell, even if it was a virtual surround headset (like the Sony playstation branded headsets), those have their own virtual surround, but you can turn off that virtual surround, and hook them up to the Mixamp and get Dolby Headphone.

As long as your headphone has a standard 3.5mm plug, it will work. Even if they are true surround, the Mixamp will use those headphone's main two speakers.

You can even use crappy dollar store headphones.

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #203 of 411
What does that mean? There shouldn't be any need for a virtual surround headset with the Mixamp. The Mixamp takes ANY headphone or headset that has two standard drivers, and turns it into vitual surround. ANY. I fail to see how it's useless to any headset, unless the headset has a lot of crappy speakers jammed into the cup. The so-called real surround.

Hell, even if it was a virtual surround headset (like the Sony playstation branded headsets), those have their own virtual surround, but you can turn off that virtual surround, and hook them up to the Mixamp and get Dolby Headphone.

As long as your headphone has a standard 3.5mm plug, it will work. Even if they are true surround, the Mixamp will use those headphone's main two speakers.

You can even use crappy dollar store headphones.

Yep that's the reason why the Astro Mix Amp is useless for me.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #204 of 411
  a simple 2ch audio mixer is the best way to combine 2 separate audio sources into 1 output. Im going to try it and see how it goes. It will allow me to adjust game volume and chat volume independently, sort of like a Astro Mixamp

Yeah :frowning2: I'm probably going to have resort to getting myself a cheap audio mixer if I want to use a USB mic and still get Dolby Surround.

That said, is the sound quality/processing of the available 'gaming' Dolby processors (Astro Mixamp/TB DSS2/Etc) all pretty much the same? Looking for what I should throw into the 'Dolby' slot below, and would a setup like below allow me to hear everything (game+chat) through my preferred headphones? Seems like it should, but then again I'm extremely sleep deprived right now, so I might be missing something glaringly obvious.

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #205 of 411
I tried to get the mic runnin with the joypad. I can record voice messages without problems but when I'm ingame I can't hear anyone talking.

I use this device here. Pluged the microfone jack with this dapter and into the joypad.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MUYHSMFF-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B004SP0WAQ

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #206 of 411
  I tried to get the mic runnin with the joypad. I can record voice messages without problems but when I'm ingame I can't hear anyone talking.

I use this device here. Pluged the microfone jack with this dapter and into the joypad.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MUYHSMFF-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B004SP0WAQ

That adapter should work. What headset are you using?

Also, make sure you set the PS4 to "ALL AUDIO"

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #207 of 411

Yeah :frowning2: I'm probably going to have resort to getting myself a cheap audio mixer if I want to use a USB mic and still get Dolby Surround.

That said, is the sound quality/processing of the available 'gaming' Dolby processors (Astro Mixamp/TB DSS2/Etc) all pretty much the same? Looking for what I should throw into the 'Dolby' slot below, and would a setup like below allow me to hear everything (game+chat) through my preferred headphones? Seems like it should, but then again I'm extremely sleep deprived right now, so I might be missing something glaringly obvious.

I tried the Mixer and wasnt too impressed with the SQ, there was too much hiss. I used a Rolls MX22s mixer. It was the only one I could find for the job at an "ok" price..

EDIT: I noticed you have an amp AFTER the mixer, in this case, it would probably work, you would be able to keep the mixer level low. Your diagram is probably the only "correct" way to use a stereo headphone with surround processing along with having a mic on the PS4....

Dolby Headphone by itself will sound exactly the same, but its the actual device that will determine the overall sound quality. On a side not, the DSS1 used Dolby Headphone but the DSS2 does not.

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #209 of 411

Coolermaster Sirus S.

Problem is If set All Audio I get no Sound. I have to set to Chat Audio. The headset is connected via optical.

Makes sense now, the reason you cant hear anyone is because as soon as you plug into the controller, it Automatically takes over as the chat device.

What this means is that BOTH incoming chat (other players) as well as out-going chat (your voice) will be sent through the controller. Same thing happens when you try to connect a USB mic. This is the sole reason I made this thread. The PS3 could send incoming chat (other players) through optical (so you can hear it in your headphones) while at the same time allowing you to use a USB mic. The PS4 in its current state cant...sad IMO.

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #210 of 411

I tried the Mixer and wasnt too impressed with the SQ, there was too much hiss. I used a Rolls MX22s mixer. It was the only one I could find for the job at an "ok" price..

EDIT: I noticed you have an amp AFTER the mixer, in this case, it would probably work, you would be able to keep the mixer level low. Your diagram is probably the only "correct" way to use a stereo headphone with surround processing along with having a mic on the PS4....

Mm yeah was considering a Rolls mixer since the Rolls mute switch I'm using is built like a tank (even if it looks like it was made in the 90's), but guess I should sink some time into googling around to see if there are any other cheap mixers that have a good rep, as far as introducing very little noise goes (even if the headphone amp should help me avoid that issue).

But for now I'm still playing with some crapalicious $20 walmart headphones in stereo mode through a Shure X2U mic adapter. Can't wait til I finally decide on what headphones to get so that I can stop torturing my ears 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back