PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
Aug 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #316 of 1,094
Quote:
I don't see why that wouldn't be possible...

You've in the next gen RPG running through a sandbox world. While you're box is computing all of the near field stuff like action sequences and immediate physics, the MS/Sony/whoever's server clusters could be rendering background textures and buildings off in the distance.

The closed-mindedness of this crowd in the refusal to believe there are better solutions to gaming (and computing power in general) is mind blowing...

It isn't that we are close-minded, it is that the technology to achieve fully cloud gaming is still a few years off, we are definitely not there yet. And honestly I still don't want it because at that point the games cease being in control of the consumer. As it stands it is just a permanent license that can be terminated at any time, if it becomes fully cloud, they could delete the game without your consent.

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #317 of 1,094
Quote:

It isn't that we are close-minded, it is that the technology to achieve fully cloud gaming is still a few years off, we are definitely not there yet. And honestly I still don't want it because at that point the games cease being in control of the consumer. As it stands it is just a permanent license that can be terminated at any time, if it becomes fully cloud, they could delete the game without your consent.

I'm not saying service offerings are better for the consumer, my claim is that additional computing power through the use of offloading processes is not outlandish. It's certainly better from a technical standpoint and I completely believe we have the technology to do so today. As for whether or not we have the infrastructure is a different story.

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #318 of 1,094
Quote:
I don't see why that wouldn't be possible...

You've in the next gen RPG running through a sandbox world. While you're box is computing all of the near field stuff like action sequences and immediate physics, the MS/Sony/whoever's server clusters could be rendering background textures and buildings off in the distance.

The closed-mindedness of this crowd in the refusal to believe there are better solutions to gaming (and computing power in general) is mind blowing...

The cloud can't really render anything. That's not remotely possible. What it can theoretically do is stuff like process lightmaps and send that data through. And then the GPU would render that object based on the lightmap given from the cloud.

Getting textures from the cloud would only be the difference between getting textures from the internet, and getting textures from the hard drive. And trust me, the hard drive is faster. The actual rendering of the textures still needs to be done by the GPU either way.

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #319 of 1,094
Quote:
The cloud can't really render anything. That's not remotely possible. What it can theoretically do is stuff like process lightmaps and send that data through. And then the GPU would render that object based on the lightmap given from the cloud.

Getting textures from the cloud would only be the difference between getting textures from the internet, and getting textures from the hard drive. And trust me, the hard drive is faster. The actual rendering of the textures still needs to be done by the GPU either way.

I submit that rendering was a poor choice in wording - of course all rendering happens on the client side. I was more speaking to the fact it can do positional calculations and give results back to the client.

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #320 of 1,094
Quote:
I submit that rendering was a poor choice in wording - of course all rendering happens on the client side. I was more speaking to the fact it can do positional calculations and give results back to the client.

Which it can do, but I think they're going to have to get really creative in order for them to make cloud computing help with this to the point where a significant amount of system stress is removed. This is all CPU intensive stuff, and the CPU is rarely the bottleneck in games.

It couldn't really make graphics better overall, but rather possibly make games capable of having more going on at once, while still maintaining good graphics. Things like corridor shooters wouldn't really be effected by it, for example.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #321 of 1,094
Oh yes, because obviously as a computer science major I'm the one close minded to new technology.

Explain to me how this works, on both code and hardware, and then I'll say it can happen. You don't just assume technology works when you have no idea whats going on, and you especially don't insult someone for it. This technology does not exist yet.

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #322 of 1,094
Oh yes, because obviously as a computer science major I'm the one close minded to new technology.

Explain to me how this works, on both code and hardware, and then I'll say it can happen. You don't just assume technology works when you have no idea whats going on, and you especially don't insult someone for it. This technology does not exist yet.

No need to get offended friend. I too am a comp sci major and have been coding for the better part of 5 years.

The technology has been around for offloading processes for quite some time. Of course this is seen all the time in the scientific world, but that's not really what we're talking about. Current and previous MMOs have done a more basic principle of this by submitting coordinates and action sequences to clients when certain destinations are reached. How about instead of arguing, we just wait to see what innovations come our way? I'm excited at the prospects of such announcements and as a computer enthusiast I would assume most of us are. Guess I'm less cynical then most. You can disagree with the implementation, but you at least have to be a little excited at this sort of idea when you consider the possibilities.

Aug 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #323 of 1,094
Quote:
PS4. One main reason is for the NFL package because I don't have Direct TV. Other reason is I enjoy the PS exclusives such as Uncharted and Last of Us. I was never interested in Halo and most of my FPSes on PC.

Are they offering NFL Sunday Ticket for PS4 owners? Cause I might jump on that so I could finally watch my Vikings.

Also, I agree about PS exclusives. I've grown tired of FPS honestly. The last one I played was Bioshock Infinite and before that was like Halo ODST or something, so it's been a while. I've been growing more love for RPG games.

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #324 of 1,094
Quote:
Are they offering NFL Sunday Ticket for PS4 owners? Cause I might jump on that so I could finally watch my Vikings.

Also, I agree about PS exclusives. I've grown tired of FPS honestly. The last one I played was Bioshock Infinite and before that was like Halo ODST or something, so it's been a while. I've been growing more love for RPG games.

I'm happy I'm not the only one. I don't even remember my last FPS. I play RPGs and Action Adventure as of late. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #325 of 1,094
Quote:

I'm happy I'm not the only one. I don't even remember my last FPS. I play RPGs and Action Adventure as of late. 

Wait, does this mean you guys were actually in to FPSes at one point? That's horrible!
tongue.gif

RPGs are definitely my go to genre, and then any story-based action game. I also love platformers, but those are way less common nowadays.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #326 of 1,094
Quote:
Wait, does this mean you guys were actually in to FPSes at one point? That's horrible!
tongue.gif

RPGs are definitely my go to genre, and then any story-based action game. I also love platformers, but those are way less common nowadays.

Some, yes. I tried the main stream ones and got bored. I still love Half-Life, and will play 3 if it ever comes out. I've been meaning to try ME series. But that is about it. I do occasionally play ARMA with friends. but those are far from my every day games. I have a stack of RPGs and platformers that I play far more regularly. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #327 of 1,094
Quote:

Some, yes. I tried the main stream ones and got bored. I still love Half-Life, and will play 3 if it ever comes out. I've been meaning to try ME series. But that is about it. I do occasionally play ARMA with friends. but those are far from my every day games. I have a stack of RPGs and platformers that I play far more regularly. 

I'm okay with FPSes that have a focus on story. Half-Life is obviously one of the better ones. It really comes down to I don't care for online multiplayer, so most FPS games are lost on me.

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #329 of 1,094
I guess the Last of Us only solidified my decision to stay with Sony, even if it were only for Naughty Dog alone, not even counting others like Sony Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, Insomniac (RaC)...
TLoU is a game that holds it's own in terms of graphics, storytelling, sound, emotion and even MP is good. Every gamer.should try this game. The Single player is an experience you won't get out of your head easily.
ND is the black horse of Sony right now and the rest of first parties is just the icing on the cake.
All my opinion of course .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back