PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
Jan 17, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #691 of 1,094
  The Kinect is far more then the EyeToy. If you want to really go back to the first motion controller for a console, it would be the Sega Activator from 1993.

That does not make the Kinect less innovative.

Yes it does. The kinect uses the same principles as the eyetoy for motion gaming. It still uses a camera to detect motion. The kinect is an evolution in technology of the eyetoy, not an innovation to motion gaming. For it to be an innovation it would have to be an original idea. The eyetoy may not even be an innovation as I am not sure if the eyetoy is an original idea, but it was the first one to go mainstreamish.

I would never would consider a modern combustion car as a innovation to automobiles as it is just an evolution of what was an original idea in the past. The individual parts of the car might be innovative, but an combustion car in general is just a evolution of the first car ever made.

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #692 of 1,094
  Yes it does. The kinect uses the same principles as the eyetoy for motion gaming. It still uses a camera to detect motion. The kinect is an evolution in technology of the eyetoy, not an innovation to motion gaming. For it to be an innovation it would have to be an original idea. The eyetoy may not even be an innovation as I am not sure if the eyetoy is an original idea, but it was the first one to go mainstreamish.

I would never would consider a modern combustion car as a innovation to automobiles as it is just an evolution of what was an original idea in the past. The individual parts of the car might be innovative, but an combustion car in general is just a evolution of the first car ever made.

I think your definition of innovation is way to broad. In fact the delta between a modern car and the first one, is far larger then the first one and a horse and buggy, so by your standard the car is not even an innovation.

The Kinect uses IR to track positions, and not a camera. It projects lots of little dots, and calculates the size of them to predict position. It's a completely different way to track motion.

It's the difference between an electric car, and a gas one. Both cars take people places, they just do it completely differently. If you don't think the electric car is an innovation, I think you have an incorrect definition of innovation.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #693 of 1,094
The Kinect is far more then the EyeToy. If you want to really go back to the first motion controller for a console, it would be the Sega Activator from 1993.

That does not make the Kinect less innovative.

Nintendo Power Glove!!!

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #695 of 1,094
Yo,

"I love the Power Glove. It's so bad"... ah The Wizard... memories! I still have a fully functional Power Glove. It's works like crap, heck none of them worked right half the time.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #696 of 1,094
Yo,

"I love the Power Glove. It's so bad"... ah The Wizard... memories! I still have a fully functional Power Glove. It's works like crap, heck none of them worked right half the time.

He is the... ;D

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #697 of 1,094
The quality of the Kinect on the the One is unique, and the speed of the ram to the CPU in the PS4 is unique. However that's not really want I am saying. I am saying outside of those things, the hardware in these devices are at the same price point as the best hardware money can buy.

That makes them a next gen console. Why do you take issue with them being called as such?

As people previously posted the specs are better than last gen, and they are not on par with the one and ps4, thy are however, good enough for what Nintendo has planned for it. I am not trying to attack any xboxone or ps4 purchasers I am simply trying to involve the Wii U in the discussion. It is worthy of that IMO.

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #698 of 1,094
I purchased both consoles at launch and I've come to the conclusion that I either should have waited until there's an actual killer exclusive out for it or not have bought an Xbox One at all. The voice commands are not reliable at all and it's a pain in the @ss to watch TV when you have it connected to the Xbox One. The ports are best on PS4 and most of my buds own a PS4 simply because it's cheaper and has better graphics. The all in one BS is exactly that, BS. If I turn the console on, it will turn on my TV and DTV receiver. Problem is, it will turn them off if they are already on. If I turn that feature off, I'll have to sit through the long boot up process before I can watch TV. Sometimes it will give you a picture of a black screen with a picture of a TV and then an error which is a pain. I also found out last night that the damn console doesn't even support Dolby Digital at all via optical so no surround sound when using my headphones, only stereo. Last of all, whats up with all these 720p games? Even TitanFall is running at 720p and that game is running on a 10 year old source engine. I hope MS gets their crap together but I have my doubts.

I know that I took a risk buying the console at launch but some of these problems are inexcusable. :angry_face:

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #699 of 1,094
Makes sense.
The situation is flipped this time around.
Except MS doesn't have nearly as many first parties to back them up...

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #700 of 1,094
As people previously posted the specs are better than last gen, and they are not on par with the one and ps4, thy are however, good enough for what Nintendo has planned for it. I am not trying to attack any xboxone or ps4 purchasers I am simply trying to involve the Wii U in the discussion. It is worthy of that IMO.

The Wii U is a fine console, but it has no place in the PS4 vs One debate. If the type of games on these consoles is what you are after (racing sims, shooters, sports, horror, mature), then the Wii U, no matter how powerful, is just the wrong console.

Just like the Wii before it, it's a platform to play Nintendo games. Nothing wrong with that, and they sell millions to people who want to play those games. But if you like games like Watchdogs, GTA5, BF4, NBA 2K14, Forza, GT6, The Last of Us, and dozens more like them, the Wii is the wrong choice.

I recommend you make a Wii U appreciation thread, if you want to support the pros of the console. Coming into this thread and trying to make an argument that the Wii U should be part of this discussion is not going to get you very far.

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #701 of 1,094

The Wii U is a fine console, but it has no place in the PS4 vs One debate. If the type of games on these consoles is what you are after (racing sims, shooters, sports, horror, mature), then the Wii U, no matter how powerful, is just the wrong console.

Just like the Wii before it, it's a platform to play Nintendo games. Nothing wrong with that, and they sell millions to people who want to play those games. But if you like games like Watchdogs, GTA5, BF4, NBA 2K14, Forza, GT6, The Last of Us, and dozens more like them, the Wii is the wrong choice.

I recommend you make a Wii U appreciation thread, if you want to support the pros of the console. Coming into this thread and trying to make an argument that the Wii U should be part of this discussion is not going to get you very far.

To be fair the poll does have a "neither option" and if you read the poll as someone that had to buy a console the only real decent next option would be the Wii U. Also while the Wii U is quite under powered, the main reason you are going to buy a console is for the games not the hardware.

The Wii U has the most exclusives so far due to the early launch date. Also to act as the PS4 and XBONE are only for the "hardcore" is not 100% correct. Both the XBONE and PS4 will have games that will compete with the Nintendo first party games. To buy a PS4 or XBONE for the simpler games. The PS4 has knack, and I am sure microsoft will create some kind of platformer. Go back to the previous generation as there are just not many exclusives to compare at the moment the PS3 had Little Big Planet series, Puppeteer, Sly Cooper, Modnation Racers, Playstation All Stars Battle Royal, and more. The Wii had its fair share of hardcore games like Monster Hunter Tri, Xenoblade Chronicles, Last Story, No More Heroes, Madworld, Improved Resident Evil Remakes, Dead Space Extraction, Red Steel 2, and more. The Wii U already has Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, in which is a series that has as strong as a fan base as you can get (stupid idiotic capcom does not support MH as well in the U.S. despite strong sales). The Wii U has a large advantage for games like Call of Duty that nobody really considers in which is the dual screen. Normally I hate COD, but allowing both me and my brother play together without split screen AND could play online ranked matches was pretty awesome.

To basically sum up. In the past you could buy a Wii and get your fair share of hardcore titles, but you could also buy a PS3 to get your fair share of light hearted titles as well. The only thing that the Wii lacked in the past was sports based titles. It had its fair share of shooters albeit not as mainstream as others, and it had a whole slew of RPG and gory action adventure type titles. The Wii U should be brought into every next generation comparison, as it currently has the most exclusives, and will probably develop other great titles along the way. I would be almost shocked if the new generation of consoles did not follow these trends. It is not always an easy and direct comparison, but to almost write off the console in a next gen debate is almost unfair. 

After all this is said, if you do want a big budget mainstream cross platform title you will have to buy one of the more powerful consoles. As developers have already shown lack of wanting to develop on the WII U, but you should still be comparing the games of all the consoles. Just because Activision and EA will not support the console as much, but that does not mean it is dead in the water. The Wii U will be no slouch this generation, but a lot of it admittedly will be Nintendo. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #702 of 1,094
I am not saying the Wii U is not a next gen console, I am just saying if the consumer desires the kind of games that make them gravitate to the PS4 and One, then the Wii U is not for them.

For example when GTA 5 came out, the most successful game of all time, it didn't come to the Wii U. the 32 Meg of video ram might have had something to do with that, but even if there was no technical limitation, they would have avoided it. The reason is the people with a Wii U either have no interest in GTA5, or if they do, they also have a PS3 or 360.

I am not bashing the Wii U. Not all video game players are the same. Some like different style of games.

It's like if I posted on a forum asking about what truck I should get, Chevy vs Ford, and someone comes back with the Tesla Model S. The laundry list of reasons why that's a bad choice has nothing to do with my opinion of the Tesla. It's an awesome car, just not the right tool for the job.

Same with the Wii U. It's a great gaming console for those that wish to play the games it's great at. If that's what you are looking for, you would not have posted a thread about the PS4 vs One.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #703 of 1,094
  I am not saying the Wii U is not a next gen console, I am just saying if the consumer desires the kind of games that make them gravitate to the PS4 and One, then the Wii U is not for them.

For example when GTA 5 came out, the most successful game of all time, it didn't come to the Wii U. the 32 Meg of video ram might have had something to do with that, but even if there was no technical limitation, they would have avoided it. The reason is the people with a Wii U either have no interest in GTA5, or if they do, they also have a PS3 or 360.

I am not bashing the Wii U. Not all video game players are the same. Some like different style of games.

It's like if I posted on a forum asking about what truck I should get, Chevy vs Ford, and someone comes back with the Tesla Model S. The laundry list of reasons why that's a bad choice has nothing to do with my opinion of the Tesla. It's an awesome car, just not the right tool for the job.

Same with the Wii U. It's a great gaming console for those that wish to play the games it's great at. If that's what you are looking for, you would not have posted a thread about the PS4 vs One.

I was more so arguing that leaving it out of a next gen discussion (which more or less what this thread has become) is wrong. This thread has expanded much farther than the OPs orginal question, while most of the content being off topic, though I find it fitting for a 6 month old question that could have been answered the same way 1000x. For how big this thread has become needs to go beyond the scope of the simple question of XBONE vs PS4 to avoid the same information to be repeated. 

Anyways pretty much all the consoles will have elements of both worlds. It just depends on which games you see more fitting to your play style. In which is more or less agreeing with you again, with the exception that the Wii U will be locked into what only nintendo puts out (in which is what I have been getting from your comments).  I did agree on that if you wanted a more mainstream title (not to be taken negatively, as I am mostly relating to sales) that you would have to buy a PS4 or XBONE. I have stated this before, but once again relating to the past the original Wii had a lot of sleeper hits that should have been more popular. Its a shame for a game like No More Heroes 2 to be overlooked when its a very good game.

Also GTA5 broke a lot of 24 hour records, but I am not sure how many more it has broken since then. I really would not call it the most successful game of all time until it has broken other long term records. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #704 of 1,094
  Also GTA5 broke a lot of 24 hour records, but I am not sure how many more it has broken since then. I really would not call it the most successful game of all time until it has broken other long term records. 

Considering it's grossed over 1.8 billion so far, and has yet to be released on the PC, PS4, or One, I would be hard pressed to find a video game that has made it's publisher more money. There are many games that have sold more copies (GTA5 is up to 30.5 million), but they have either been bundled with consoles, or sold for a lot less money.

EDIT: I take that back... there have not been many that have sold more... there have been 7. When it's all said and done, GTA5 could easily be in the second spot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

EDIT again: It's also the highest selling game ever on the 360 and the PS3 by a long shot.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #705 of 1,094

Considering it's grossed over 1.8 billion so far, and has yet to be released on the PC, PS4, or One, I would be hard pressed to find a video game that has made it's publisher more money. There are many games that have sold more copies (GTA5 is up to 30.5 million), but they have either been bundled with consoles, or sold for a lot less money.

EDIT: I take that back... there have not been many that have sold more... there have been 7. When it's all said and done, GTA5 could easily be in the second spot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

EDIT again: It's also the highest selling game ever on the 360 and the PS3 by a long shot.

Wow, I actually find that list quite shocking. I thought Halo 3 would still be on the list (I am not a halo fan by any means), but the list is still dominated by nintendo even when you ignore the pack in titles. I knew Wii Sports would be at the top though. 

I honestly did not know GTA V was that highly sold, because if you look at the month of December the game is in only in the middle of the list. I personally do not follow these sales charts though as I have never felt that a quality game had to have amazing sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back