PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
Jan 15, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #662 of 1,094
This is a very interesting article - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story

When your three key features are low footprint, silent operation and low power consumption, it can't end any other way.
Admittedly, the GPU is good, but if the Espresso microprocessor is what it is [a 3-core clocked at 1.3ghz] then it must be very difficult to utilize.
The GPU might be as much as 2x powerful as the PS3/360s but if the processor bogs it down, what'd do you do?

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #663 of 1,094
  I love Nintendo but I feel they are falling behind. I would love to see Nintendo produce something to DIRECTLY compete with the PS4 and XB One.

It seems that their innovations are the only thing that is worthy of competing with the PS4 and XBOne. But then again, they really are falling behind in terms of pretty much eveyrthing else. They really need to change it up and give us something really good. It seems that technology really is conforming to the "tick-tock" rhythm of technology: Not so good during "tick," then takes a big leap on "tock."

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #664 of 1,094
I know nintendo focuses on the experience rather than the visuals and power, but surely that sort of mentality isn't working for them in the long run. It comes at the cost of losing 3rd party support. Systems can't thrive on 1st party titles alone.

I believe that Nintendo now sees this, and their next effort will be a lot more ambitious in both experience as well as visual fidelity. Now, how long we have to wait for Nintendo to step up their game is up in the air. They simply can't pull a Sega by releasing new hardware so soon after the last one, but they're gonna have to start planning for one to release a lot sooner than the time span between the Wii and Wii U.

I would love to play Mario/Metroid/Zelda/Pokemon/etc on next gen, but I'm not going to buy a Wii U just for that alone. 3rd party support is absolutely essential.

If I were Nintendo, I'd do something crazy... like try merging with Sega. BOOM. Imagine Sonic and Mario as TRUE partners. A full fledged Mario and Sonic franchise. A triple A title with both worlds. Not just some cute sports game.

That'd turn some heads.

That would take away Sonic and all of Sega's franchises away from Sony and Microsoft. Things like this would put Nintendo back in the race.

Of course, they do incredibly well in the portable scene, but the portable scene is completely different from the console scene.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #665 of 1,094
I know nintendo focuses on the experience rather than the visuals and power, but surely that sort of mentality isn't working for them in the long run. It comes at the cost of losing 3rd party support. Systems can't thrive on 1st party titles alone.

I believe that Nintendo now sees this, and their next effort will be a lot more ambitious in both experience as well as visual fidelity. Now, how long we have to wait for Nintendo to step up their game is up in the air. They simply can't pull a Sega by releasing new hardware so soon after the last one, but they're gonna have to start planning for one to release a lot sooner than the time span between the Wii and Wii U.

I would love to play Mario/Metroid/Zelda/Pokemon/etc on next gen, but I'm not going to buy a Wii U just for that alone. 3rd party support is absolutely essential.

If I were Nintendo, I'd do something crazy... like try merging with Sega. BOOM. Imagine Sonic and Mario as TRUE partners. A full fledged Mario and Sonic franchise. A triple A title with both worlds. Not just some cute sports game.

That'd turn some heads.

That would take away Sonic and all of Sega's franchises away from Sony and Microsoft. Things like this would put Nintendo back in the race.

Of course, they do incredibly well in the portable scene, but the portable scene is completely different from the console scene.

I agree with most of what you just said. Especially with nintendo now seeing that the hardware is important. However I feel that the wii is incredibly underrated. Nobody knows about the slew of amazing sleeper 3rd party titles that hit the console. Madworld, No More Heroes 1&2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Last story, Pandoras Tower, Monster Hunter Tri, okami port,Tales of Symphonia sequel, and many more. I would say that the 3rd party support is lacking, but nearly not as non existent as people think it is. It is definitely hidden behind the loads of crap mini games developers were trying to exploit families into buying. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #666 of 1,094
Almost if not all of those were Wii titles, not Wii U.

Wii U's 3rd party support is a fraction of what it was for the Wii.

The Wii U won't even come close, and is severely lagging behind the Wii's numbers.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #667 of 1,094
Almost if not all of those were Wii titles, not Wii U.

Wii U's 3rd party support is a fraction of what it was for the Wii.

The Wii U won't even come close, and is severely lagging behind the Wii's numbers.

Yes I was mainly just trying to prove a point. I was relating the past to what could potentially happen in the future. The wii was vastly criticized for its 3rd party support yet so many people do not know how good it actually was, and it was incredibly slow when it first started. I think the Wii U still has a lot of potential. However it is not going to get the big budget 3rd party titles, but it will probably receive a bunch of games that will go under the radar again. Hell even one of the Wii Us best games is a 3rd party game. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is an amazing game, however it is not easily accessible to the public. On top of that it is supposed to receive a Xenoblade Chronicle sequel esque type thing (I forgot what was happening with that game).

I also agree that it is not selling well, but it may pick up in the future. The 3ds had a horrid year or two, but now its one of the best handhelds of all time.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #668 of 1,094
If I ran Nintendo, I would have done the same thing. Here is a list of the top selling Wii games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games

You have to get to #16 before you get to a non Nintendo title, and only 2 of the top 25 are not Nintendo games. Nintendo lives or dies on Nintendo IP's. So really their console is just a platform to play their games. Why make a powerhouse system, when it's not required to make any of the Nintendo IP's? You would just be wasting money on every console you sold.

This is why they are not part of this debate. I said it before and I will say it again. If you want to play Nintendo games, you just go buy a Wii U and play them. No debate. If you don't want to play Nintendo games, the PS4 and Xbox One should be the only consoles you consider.

That being said, unless you really want to play a Sony or Microsoft exclusive, I would not buy either.

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #669 of 1,094
Oh, not saying the Wii U is terrible. Nintendo has been it's own thing basically since the first Wii. It's not worse, just...different. If I were to own multiple consoles, I'd definitely have the Wii U, since it's clearly different from the others, and more likely to have exclusives that I'd play. The PS4/XB1 are essentially the same damn thing.

I'm still mad that I won't get to play Bayonetta 2. :frowning2:

I completely agree. No worries, btw. I meant for people in general, that the wii U isnt terrible. If i didnt include that, some fanboys would think you or i are nintendo bashers. Though I do admit that i thought you didn't like the wii U. Thanks for clarifying.

I wish the ps4 and one focused on innovations like nintendo. Luckily, the ps4 does have a similar feature as the wii u's. Too bad we pay an additional $220 for remoteplay. (Psvita)
The xbox was innovative though, with their kinect, too bad it wasn't good for its first version. Maybe that changed with the latest improvements?

Maybe when all the planets align, you will be able to play bayonetta 2!

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #670 of 1,094
I wish the ps4 and one focused on innovations like nintendo.

You don't think Kinect is an innovation 
blink.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #671 of 1,094

blink.gif

uhh...

It's not that, it's just...

What I meant to say is...

....Well, what about the ps move?

Just joking, lol.

I don't know, it was a great innovation, but executed poorly during the first version of the kinect. That's why I didn't bring it up, but if we have to state the ideas they put forth, the xbox, imo, was the best innovation out of the trio.

I never heard anyone actually stating that the newest kinect is a lot better with latency and performance. If it is, I retract my statement!

I'll fix it.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #672 of 1,094

blink.gif

I do, I do, and it's pretty good, yeah.

I think the point is that they don't make it that prominent unlike the Wii U, where the very core of the console is the innovation. But then again, the Kinect was pretty well-advertised. I guess the manufacturers are still trying to get the balance between innvoation and raw technical power. And so far, I think only the XB1's gotten close, but still not yet.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #673 of 1,094

I think the point is that they don't make it that prominent unlike the Wii U, where the very core of the console is the innovation. But then again, the Kinect was pretty well-advertised. I guess the manufacturers are still trying to get the balance between innvoation and raw technical power. And so far, I think only the XB1's gotten close, but still not yet.

I wanted to state that too, but I wanted to make sure of it.

Listen to that beats guy, or else! (jk)

^ +1

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #674 of 1,094

Yea.

Not sure I buy into the Kinect as a gaming controller. But that I guess is what innovation is all about. Pretty much anything going forward that's innovative, is going to look like a stupid idea at first.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #675 of 1,094
  Yea.

Not sure I buy into the Kinect as a gaming controller. But that I guess is what innovation is all about. Pretty much anything going forward that's innovative, is going to look like a stupid idea at first.

Exactly. the Wii looked pretty crazy at first (I didn't think it was, though), but caught on fairly quickly. The Kinect did, too -- and it became pretty much the closest competitor to the Wii's motion control. But now, with the XB1 and the Kinect's supposed always-on thing...it creeps me out. I just hope owning an XB1 doesn't make your home a litttle recreation of 1984.

I'm just going to leave my next statement on the Kinect in a spoiler, because I might get banned for it. Just do me a favor and leave me a sanity check, will you?

Speaking of the Kinect 2 being the possible source to make your own home the venue for a tiny 1984, I'm also worried that the real plot to create an actual, world-wide 1984 could actually use the new Kinect to work as surveillance for each and every family who owns one. What plot am I talking about? PRISM (not Katy Perry's album), that's what I'm talking about.  
     There was a lot of controversy regarding those leaks by Snowden last year, as you may all know, but as I recall someone stated, it's not going to end yet. There's going to be more documents, year after year, showing just how far the government is willing to take their surevillance methods to "prevent a future 9/11," despite the fact that they haven't showed (or rather, there isn't) any evidence that their methods are actually working. Their methods involve having some of the largest companies on the internet to work with them and give all sorts of information about them and their users, which obviously invades with their Privacy Policies. 

I might just be talking nonsense, but what Snowden says might actually be legit. "It [PRISM] doesn't make us more safe, it makes us less safe," he said in a recent appearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back