PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
Jan 19, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #706 of 1,094
  but the list is still dominated by nintendo even when you ignore the pack in titles.

Yep, and this is why Nintendo only needs to make a console for it's IP's. It's why 32mb of video ram was a smart move. It's also why I have said if you like Nintendo games, you don't make a thread like this asking what console to buy. You just buy a Wii U and go play.

Take a look at the Wii chart:
http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/2/wii/

And the Wii U is looking to be the same. 9 of the top 10 games are from Nintendo.
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=WiiU&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

If you ran Nintendo, would you have made a more powerful console? I sure wouldn't. If you were a game publisher that's not Nintendo, would you be excited to make a game for the Wii U? I sure wouldn't.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #707 of 1,094

Yep, and this is why Nintendo only needs to make a console for it's IP's. It's why 32mb of video ram was a smart move. It's also why I have said if you like Nintendo games, you don't make a thread like this asking what console to buy. You just buy a Wii U and go play.

Take a look at the Wii chart:
http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/2/wii/

And the Wii U is looking to be the same. 9 of the top 10 games are from Nintendo.
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=WiiU&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

If you ran Nintendo, would you have made a more powerful console? I sure wouldn't. If you were a game publisher that's not Nintendo, would you be excited to make a game for the Wii U? I sure wouldn't.

Is that ever a smart move? As long as it's not battery powered.... I doubt it :]

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #708 of 1,094
  Is that ever a smart move? As long as it's not battery powered.... I doubt it :]

It is if it cost a lot more to put more in it, and in the end it makes no difference on how many consoles you sell, or how many games you sell.

People buy consoles for games. Titanfall will move a lot of Ones, Infamous will move a lot of PS4s, and the latest Mario game moved a lot of Wii U's.

No non-Nintendo games are going to move a lot of Wii U's, and no Nintendo games requires a lot of video ram.

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #709 of 1,094

Considering that Nintendo's profits in the gaming industry obliterate MS and Sony, I think they might possibly know what they are doing by now.

In fact they know how to do things so well that Sony can't touch them in mobile, and Wii was the most sold console in the last generation. And I'm fairly certain they'll outsell XBone and PS4 this generation as well. Not saying that MS or Sony will go under any time soon, as they gain revenue from many other areas, but Nintendo knows their industry well and knows their fans. 

Ninendo has been doing games since,oh... around 1889. That's going on 125 years. That's longer than Sony and Microsoft have been companies COMBINED let alone in the gaming industry (which we won't even start on). Nintendo is a juggernaut in gaming, and are basically untouchable. They know how to maximize profits and minimize losses. Their systems, as far as I know, have never yielded a negative return, while MS and Sony have both had red years with their consoles. Naturally they cannot compete with either MS or Sony in overall revenue, mainly because they are purely a game company and MS and Sony are both in many other industries, but considering that they have even a 1/10th of the overall profits focusing on one thing is darn impressive. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #710 of 1,094

Considering that Nintendo's profits in the gaming industry obliterate MS and Sony, I think they might possibly know what they are doing by now.

In fact they know how to do things so well that Sony can't touch them in mobile, and Wii was the most sold console in the last generation. And I'm fairly certain they'll outsell XBone and PS4 this generation as well. Not saying that MS or Sony will go under any time soon, as they gain revenue from many other areas, but Nintendo knows their industry well and knows their fans. 

Ninendo has been doing games since,oh... around 1889. That's going on 125 years. That's longer than Sony and Microsoft have been companies COMBINED let alone in the gaming industry (which we won't even start on). Nintendo is a juggernaut in gaming, and are basically untouchable. They know how to maximize profits and minimize losses. Their systems, as far as I know, have never yielded a negative return, while MS and Sony have both had red years with their consoles. Naturally they cannot compete with either MS or Sony in overall revenue, mainly because they are purely a game company and MS and Sony are both in many other industries, but considering that they have even a 1/10th of the overall profits focusing on one thing is darn impressive. 

I was not trying to criticize Nintendo, I merely posed a question. 
Nintendo, as any company, has had its ups and downs and... Well, whatever :D
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #711 of 1,094
  I was not trying to criticize Nintendo, I merely posed a question. 
Nintendo, as any company, has had its ups and downs and... Well, whatever :D
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story

Yes they have, so has every other company. All I said is that their consoles never yeided a negative return. In other words, they never lost what they put into one of their consoles post release. 

According to that article, Nintendo has only lost money due to Wii U, no other console. However they've lost money on peripherals, and they seem to have corrected issues in those peripherals and rereleased them in the current age with varying success. The same will probably be true of Wii U if they can't turn it around. Nintendo's net profits aren't so far in the red that they'll go under anytime soon (at least from my cursory research). We'll see how this goes. I highly doubt they'll go the way of Sega.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #712 of 1,094

Yes they have, so has every other company. All I said is that their consoles never yeided a negative return. In other words, they never lost what they put into one of their consoles post release. 

According to that article, Nintendo has only lost money due to Wii U, no other console. However they've lost money on peripherals, and they seem to have corrected issues in those peripherals and rereleased them in the current age with varying success. The same will probably be true of Wii U if they can't turn it around. Nintendo's net profits aren't so far in the red that they'll go under anytime soon (at least from my cursory research). We'll see how this goes. I highly doubt they'll go the way of Sega.

Who would want that?
Even if I am not a Nintendo fan, they are certainly Sony's/Microsoft's rivals in the gaming industry.
Competition is always good. It brings motivation. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #713 of 1,094
Who would want that?
Even if I am not a Nintendo fan, they are certainly Sony's/Microsoft's rivals in the gaming industry.
Competition is always good. It brings motivation. 

Nintendo is at absolutely zero risk of bankruptcy. They have $9 billion in cash, and profitable or barely not ($20 million loss or so) every year. At this rate they could stay in business for another century. I also doubt they'll become a software only company. Doing so would cause a massive reduction in size, and being a "family" company, they feel an obligation to their employees.

The most likely scenario is that they stay the course for a long time to come.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #714 of 1,094
I was curious last night so I looked at Nintendo's balance sheet...

Along with their pile of cash, they also currently have $2 billion in unsold inventory reported (the split between products I don't know). Assuming most of that inventory is unsold Wii Us, if they did a major price cut along with a bundled must have game, they could raise about a billion dollars, and increase the install base of their console.

For example, if they cut the Wii U to $179, and put Mario 3D World in the box with it, they might be able to put themselves back in the black while simultaneously creating an install base for other games.

The disadvantage to that plan is that they'd be devaluing the console and putting its perceived price below their manufacturing cost (probably). So a short term sell through of existing inventory could result in a long term selling below cost.

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #715 of 1,094
I was curious last night so I looked at Nintendo's balance sheet...

Along with their pile of cash, they also currently have $2 billion in unsold inventory reported (the split between products I don't know). Assuming most of that inventory is unsold Wii Us, if they did a major price cut along with a bundled must have game, they could raise about a billion dollars, and increase the install base of their console.

For example, if they cut the Wii U to $179, and put Mario 3D World in the box with it, they might be able to put themselves back in the black while simultaneously creating an install base for other games.

The disadvantage to that plan is that they'd be devaluing the console and putting its perceived price below their manufacturing cost (probably). So a short term sell through of existing inventory could result in a long term selling below cost.

If nintendo was going to do another price cut at most they should cut $50 off the price. I honestly think the Wii U might have a good shot at a comeback within the next couple of months. They have a couple of heavy hitters announced while both the XB1 and PS4 are at a bit of a standstill until the next exclusive is released. Besides the 3ds is doing so well it will keep them afloat pretty easily. So far I am curious as how the XB1 will do in the next couple of months as they are selling pretty slowly around here, and I am even seeing xb1 games, controllers, and accessories at goodwills and salvation army stores. Wii U has some stuff there as well, but its generally that wipeout game. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #717 of 1,094
   I honestly think the Wii U might have a good shot at a comeback within the next couple of months.

I give you props for your optimism. Unfortunately, Nintendo does not share it. They cut there projection on the Wii U sales through March by almost 70%

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/01/nintendo-reduces-wii-u-sales-projections-from-9-million-to-2-8-million/

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #718 of 1,094
I have all three consoles.
redface.gif

Wow, lol. Which do you think is the best?

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #719 of 1,094
Each has its strength. PS4 is definitely powerful and all the non-exclusives will go there; the xbox one's system actually impressed me (I detest Windows 8 yet I like the Win8-flavored Xbox os) and its controller is awesome; and the Wii U, well... After ZombiU nothing really has shown what the bad idea of a controller can be good for but anyway, even if it's gaining dust several weeks of the year, two words suffice for me: Mario and Zelda. HD. Enough said.

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #720 of 1,094
Each has its strength. PS4 is definitely powerful and all the non-exclusives will go there; the xbox one's system actually impressed me (I detest Windows 8 yet I like the Win8-flavored Xbox os) and its controller is awesome; and the Wii U, well... After ZombiU nothing really has shown what the bad idea of a controller can be good for but anyway, even if it's gaining dust several weeks of the year, two words suffice for me: Mario and Zelda. HD. Enough said.

LOL
Never liked the tablet controller of the Wii U, though I can't really say for certain as I've never held one in my hands, but I dunno...
It reminds me of a small Razer Edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back