PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like comments please)
Jan 15, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #676 of 1,094
Your sanity check

I don't think you're crazy about the tech, and what the government is willing to do with it to collect information. Today I don't think you need to worry about how they will use the data they collect, but it's scary to know they have it.  

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #677 of 1,094
I personally do not see the kinect as an innovation at all. Playstation first had the idea with the Playstation 2 Eye, but never really capitalized on it. The kinect of course does have better technology, but besides that the Eye and Kinect both have the same basic function. Personally I see an innovation as something newly created, and has never been thought of before. The Wii was an innovation as it pretty much started the motion control wars, and it was a pretty unique controller that nobody really had before. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #679 of 1,094
  I personally do not see the kinect as an innovation at all. Sony first had the idea with the Playstation 2 Eye, but never really capitalized on it. The kinect of course does have better technology, but besides that the Eye and Kinect both have the same basic function. Personally I see an innovation as something newly created, and has never been thought of before. The Wii was an innovation as it pretty much started the motion control wars, and it was a pretty unique controller that nobody really had before. 

Aw damn, I totally forgot about the PS Eye from the PS2...never got to own the Eye, since I thought it was garbage and a waste of money anyway. But you're right, it wasn't an innovation since the PS2 already got to it first...but the Kinect was better in performance and thus got itself more support. The Wii's motion control innovation is now one of the many legacies of gaming to me, and the impact that it left on gaming has pretty much given it its own spot in the timeline of gaming.

Your sanity check

I don't think you're crazy about the tech, and what the government is willing to do with it to collect information. Today I don't think you need to worry about how they will use the data they collect, but it's scary to know they have it.  

Thanks.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #680 of 1,094
I'll wait and see if Razer can get the modular PC to become a real thing. That's what my money is waiting for.

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #681 of 1,094
       Aw damn, I totally forgot about the PS Eye from the PS2...never got to own the Eye, since I thought it was garbage and a waste of money anyway. But you're right, it wasn't an innovation since the PS2 already got to it first...but the Kinect was better in performance and thus got itself more support. The Wii's motion control innovation is now one of the many legacies of gaming to me, and the impact that it left on gaming has pretty much given it its own spot in the timeline of gaming.

Thanks.

That is why you forgot, lol. I forgot about that as well, I bet not many remember its okay qualities back then. 

But hold on, you never got to demo the eye either? I'll tell you right now, it was the best thing since sliced bread!

I remember using any object to interact with the games it came with. It was only ONE! It was the playstation eye game! YEAH!!!!

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #682 of 1,094
  That is why you forgot, lol. I forgot about that as well, I bet not many remember its okay qualities back then. 

But hold on, you never got to demo the eye either? I'll tell you right now, it was the best thing since sliced bread!

I remember using any object to interact with the games it came with. It was only ONE! It was the playstation eye game! YEAH!!!!

I did. I was at a friend's house for a day (celebrating Christmas, I recall), and the party lasted all night long. I tell ya, they're really great hosts. The next morning, my friend fired up the PS2 (they had the really slim version, I owned the big one), and showed us a game with the PS Eye. We were sposed to copy gestures on-screen and stuff. My memory's pretty hazy on that, 'specially since they've moved to 'Murica about three years ago.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #683 of 1,094
Hah, I remember some party (Christmas as well, or some new year perhaps?) where my cousin brought his PS2 with EyeToy, that dancing game and we borrowed a projector.

Was pretty fun, to say the least. :)

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #684 of 1,094
       I did. I was at a friend's house for a day (celebrating Christmas, I recall), and the party lasted all night long. I tell ya, they're really great hosts. The next morning, my friend fired up the PS2 (they had the really slim version, I owned the big one), and showed us a game with the PS Eye. We were sposed to copy gestures on-screen and stuff. My memory's pretty hazy on that, 'specially since they've moved to 'Murica about three years ago.

Awesome, sounds like you had an awesome Christmas, lucky you! I only had a good time with my family once, playing Mario partay 5 on the nintendo gamecube. 

I wonder how the reactions came when everyone attempted to interact with the ps eye. I think the game is eyetoy, right?

Hah, I remember some party (Christmas as well, or some new year perhaps?) where my cousin brought his PS2 with EyeToy, that dancing game and we borrowed a projector.

Was pretty fun, to say the least. :)

Dang it, you two had the most fun during that christmas day. I'm surprised to hear that they had a dancing one for the eyetoy, though. Was it decent at least?

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #686 of 1,094
I guess. Obviously, it wasn't great but playing with other people made it pretty fun. Also it had some kind of mode where you could add all kinds of special effects etc. so there was that, which added to coolness on the party. :wink:

Awesome! This is a christmas alright, just like the beats guy, lol. I hope there are more memorable christmas moments everyone can make.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #688 of 1,094
  By the way:

IIRC EyeToy was the name of the camera (PS Eye was the camera for PS3) and  the games were EyeToy Play.

Thanks for the correction, I had a feeling that I was missing a word or two. I liked EyeToy Play, but felt really awkward doing all those gestures lol.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #690 of 1,094
The Kinect is far more then the EyeToy. If you want to really go back to the first motion controller for a console, it would be the Sega Activator from 1993.

That does not make the Kinect less innovative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back