PS3 price revealed.
May 9, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #46 of 135
Just look at all expletive ridden and sex laden games that have come out in the last few years compared to before. It's no longer a kiddie market, but an extremely profitable adult market now. Unfortunately, kids are getting their hands on adult themed and oriented games. Language on xbox live is extremely vulgar, and it's the 12 year olds using the mics...

May 9, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #47 of 135
I had already decided to wait until the Xbox was $300, because I can't see paying more than that for a console. I wouldn't spend $500 on a PS3, much less $600.

I'm a hardcore gamer, I've bought all the consoles for the last couple of generations. But this is too expensive.

I suppose I'll play all the PS2 and Xbox games I've wanted to sample while awaiting price drops on the 360 and PS3. The Revolution will be more affordable, and hopefully have all the old SNES games available for download. That should kill some time also.

I think the $600 will fly while supply is short, but they can't keep that price and sell as well long term. They've overshot the market if they keep the price that high.

May 9, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #48 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
I had already decided to wait until the Xbox was $300, because I can't see paying more than that for a console. I wouldn't spend $500 on a PS3, much less $600.

I'm a hardcore gamer, I've bought all the consoles for the last couple of generations. But this is too expensive.

I suppose I'll play all the PS2 and Xbox games I've wanted to sample while awaiting price drops on the 360 and PS3. The Revolution will be more affordable, and hopefully have all the old SNES games available for download. That should kill some time also.

I think the $600 will fly while supply is short, but they can't keep that price and sell as well long term. They've overshot the market if they keep the price that high.

Personally I'm predicting the first 360 price drop will be either the day the PS3 comes out, or November 22nd (1 year after launch).

May 9, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #49 of 135
anyone remember 3d0? $800 at launch
smily_headphones1.gif

there was another system too, I forgot what it was called, it had zelda and acted as a digital picture player. I think it was called philips cd or something.

May 9, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #50 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
I read recently, within the last two weeks, in USA Today that the average gamer is 32 years old.

So that means for every 13 year old there is a 51 year old playing video games? I can't even imagine....

Gamefaqs recently did a survey and most of the people ended up where I expected, in the teens. But I guess not many older folk go to game boards.

May 9, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #51 of 135
i wrote this post on digg about the new controller, so bear in mind that i was a little angry when i wrote it, (but still fair i think). we've been discussing the ps3's price and power, but havn't said much on the controller, which was also released at the e3 press conference. also, f1gtr, that's 32 statistic can't be true, that'd mean we have way more 60 year olds playing gameboy than is physically possible. gotta watch out for usa today, they lie.

the dualshock in it's current form (besiders the odd feature here or there) was introduced in late 1997. that's nine years of stagnation. for the next 2 console generations the other players have continued to rethink and tweak their user input. Nintendo is building their entire console around the wii controler and it's strengths. microsoft too has been responsive in modifing their controller( remember the orrigional ginormus xbox gamepad?). sony's controller though, is an afterthought on an afterthought on an afterthought. the analog sticks of the dualshock were a simple bandaid on the origional controller released in 1994(japan). the orrigional controller itself was only a slightly modified take off the supernintendo controller. by not redesigning the controller for the playstation 2 they sent the message that they did not consider the controller an important part of the ps2's devolopement. now we have the ps3 controller. it's motion sensing is again, an afterthought. the origional ps1 controller was not designed with motion sensing in mind, how coult it be that it's great grandchild will comfortablly support it? nintendo's controller was built from the ground up as a motion sensing device, this is a last minute tack on. i have serious doubts that many games would actually use the functionality.

in the end, it's a royal screw up. sony stopped inovating in 1994, and have been riding the wave of sucess ever since. now with this "new" controller, i have to question if they're even trying to compete with the much more compellign offerings from nintendo and microsoft. at least those companies have actually considered how they can offer more value to their customers.

besides, it'd not only the controller, everything comming out of sony latley has been very questionable. there was the rootkit fiasco, there's the counterproductive blu-ray war, there's all the stink over their changes to star wars galixies, and there's their great loss in the portable music arena due to their failure to innovate against apple. sony is having real diffaculties these days giving the comsumer what they want. if i had stock in the company, i'd sell it.. but fortunatly i don't.

May 9, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #53 of 135
LOL, I just got back from a screening. Didn't allow me to have my phone on me, so I was isolated from the world.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Sony, oh, Sony.

$500 and $600!

Microsoft is having a big party tonight.
tongue.gif

Now we have to hear about the Wii tomorrow.

-Ed

May 9, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #54 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
anyone remember 3d0? $800 at launch
smily_headphones1.gif

there was another system too, I forgot what it was called, it had zelda and acted as a digital picture player. I think it was called philips cd or something.

PHILLIPS CD-I
icon10.gif

May 9, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #55 of 135
hey if the Ps3 internal cooling is quiter than the Ps2's that will be a start!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Although I read the 360 is fairly loud.

Just as an indication which is louder 360 or ps2 internal fans?

May 9, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #57 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanatos
Concerning only the controller--if it isn't broke, why fix it?

Dual shock is THE BEST controller out there, hands down. Just look at xbox, they have almost copied it with the 360 controller. The original xbox controller, the big bulky one was HORRIBLE. I won't even go into Nintendo abominations. All I can say is that if I could use my PS2 controller for everything, I would. The 360 comes close though..

May 9, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #58 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
hey if the Ps3 internal cooling is quiter than the Ps2's that will be a start!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Although I read the 360 is fairly loud.

Just as an indication which is louder 360 or ps2 internal fans?

About equal. The thing that kills the 360 is the PSU. It is literally a full sized BRICK.

May 9, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #59 of 135
I used to be a fan of Sony but they are really jerks in the consumer market now. They keep putting out proprietary shiet, and make you buy them. For example, UMD, ATRAC, Memory Stick, etc. I hope they lose this round so they can start caring about their consumer more.

May 9, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #60 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
I used to be a fan of Sony but they are really jerks in the consumer market now. They keep putting out proprietary shiet, and make you buy them. For example, UMD, ATRAC, Memory Stick, etc. I hope they lose this round so they can start caring about their consumer more.

don't forget blu-ray; i agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back