PS1000 vs LCD-2 vs HD800
Oct 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #46 of 66
I've not heard a pair of expensive speakers that emphasizes bass too dramatically- if at all.  This isn't even to mention that they were without integrated subs, so they were on the leaner side if any.  HD800 still sounds thin in comparison.  It's not a neutral headphone.  On the general, barring any horribly implemented room integration, headphones are way more colored than speakers.

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #47 of 66
Thanks for the insight guys. And Twin, what's a group build? haha.. pm me later and we'll figure it out...

and yeah, Bbophead, I'm a bit weary to compare these headphones to "my" speakers cause they're not exactly great stuff. Was just listening to Audioengine A5+ and a pair of Pro-linear tower speakers and I don't even know if Pro-linear is a good brand or not. lol. The pro-linears were hooked up to a Denon receiver. and output for both was my Asus N56 laptop. Far from a reference set up. lol

As for headphones... LCD2/HD800 combo or an LCD2/PS1000 combo.... pretty torn right now... amp will most likely be either an o2 or asgard with a Dragonfly.

Price difference between the PS1000 and HD800 is negligible because I'll be able to get the PS1000 fo a comparable price.

On a side note, didn't test these headphones out with Jazz yesterday, will do so again and see. Was mainly listening to them with classic rock (mainly Hendrix, REM and some motown (smokey robinson, Four Tops) plus a "bit" of old school rap like Methodman.

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #48 of 66
TMRaven, thanks for the response. In your opinion, would you find the HD800 actually not as accurate to real life or speakers because of it's thin sound and slightl lack of bass? I sometimes wonder if a headphone like the LCD2 with the fuller sound or even the PS1000 with the slightly fuller sound and extra kick might be closer sounding to certain types of speakers or certain live gigs. 

Or maybe the HD800 was more designed to sound like listening in a large scale auditorium in the middle? Whereas the other two mimicks smaller gigs better? haha.. 

I've only listened to top grade, custom made speakers of a friend's years ago with tube amps. And I really don't recall much from it anymore except that the voice and instruments (we were playing jazz) was very life-like. And soundstage was there, but I think it was more of a medium sound stage like listening in a small jazz club up close.

Lol.. sorry for all these questions.. i feel like i'm just asking the same questions over and over again... haha.. these headphones are considered a huge investment for me so I just want to think it all through first. Will have to do some more listening tests and see. Going to run them all only through the asgard this time and see.

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #49 of 66
Quote:
I've not heard a pair of expensive speakers that emphasizes bass too dramatically- if at all.  This isn't even to mention that they were without integrated subs, so they were on the leaner side if any.  HD800 still sounds thin in comparison.  It's not a neutral headphone.  On the general, barring any horribly implemented room integration, headphones are way more colored than speakers.

Disagree, but, whatever.

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #50 of 66
On the speaker thing, I've yet to hear a headphone less colored than my uncle's Neumanns, or even the Mackie monitors we use for mixes. You have to be willing to sacrifice some of the sound you get with speakers for the benefits headphones can reap (privacy, convenience, resolution).

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #51 of 66
Quote:
I was thinking of doing a group build locally for the Beta22, which reportedly powers the HE-6s nicely.

This is not a good strategy. If you follow the HE6 threads you would know that even a four-board B22 is not adequate to power the HE6 to its potential. Think K1000 power, > 6wpc @50 ohms.

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

This is not a good strategy. If you follow the HE6 threads you would know that even a four-board B22 is not adequate to power the HE6 to its potential. Think K1000 power, > 6wpc @50 ohms.

Quote:

I was thinking of doing a group build locally for the Beta22, which reportedly powers the HE-6s nicely. Want to join in?

I hate to be a troll on this thread - but this is my que.
biggrin.gif
  grokit is absolutely correct.  

If I were anyone I wouldn't get the βeta-22 with powering the HE-6 in mind.  Get the b22 because it's a great amp that can drive any other headphone perfectly.

For the HE-6 step into the speaker amp world..

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #53 of 66
Wasn't planning on getting the HE-6 at all, just aiming for future-proofing. Just wanted to see if the OP wanted to join in, I've already PMed him. It seems that he does have some speakers, so he should probably have some speaker amps as well. Not sure how well those would work with the HE-6s in particular. Sorry for getting OT.

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #54 of 66
Quote:
On the speaker thing, I've yet to hear a headphone less colored than my uncle's Neumanns, or even the Mackie monitors we use for mixes. You have to be willing to sacrifice some of the sound you get with speakers for the benefits headphones can reap (privacy, convenience, resolution).

+1

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #57 of 66
Quote:
Quote:
I prefer the PS1000 to both of those as well, for many of the reasons you mention, and I have owned them all. I would trust your own ears. Alot of Head-Fi is just hype and bandwagoning. There were some very vocal, early haters of the PS1000, but the quality of the listening experience wins people over anyway.

Didn't win me over and I'm a Grado fan (or used to be). 

Well I'm won over so far
L3000.gif

I'm kind of the opposite, I never could quite get into the Grados I had previously. I had a 125i and returned it instantly. Then I had a 325i for a while, thought it was just okay and I sold it. Tried a 225i and it was better than the other two but ultimately unsatisfying as well. I've never tried the older ones or the RS series so this is my first experience with the higher-end Grados.

I have (reluctantly) moved on from the HD800 and K1000 (I will miss them), and I think that the PS1000's are keepers for sure. They are great for rock music, King Crimson never sounded so good! Did you listen to them out of your WA22?

Quote:
Quote:
But I have also been interested in the PS1000 for quite a while. I was thinking of dedicating that headphone to vinyl listening for its dynamics. Is there a consensus on what kind of amp it prefers?

Good solid state, period. However good solid state doesn't mean the most repeated names on head-fi and this is why many people will tell you have to go tubes. The only tube that I have realized to make sense with the PS1000 was Cary Audio SLI-80 but I still prefer solid state. Accuphase C-3800 is one of the devices that show what a good solide state headphone amplification is all about and it's still not the top border.

Quote:
try a transformer coupled amp with the Grado phones, ECP audio makes on that is nice and the Eddie Current 2a3 is very very sweet.

Agreed, they seem to work very well with the WA22; add it to the list!
beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit 

Well I'm won over so far
L3000.gif

I'm kind of the opposite, I never could quite get into the Grados I had previously. I had a 125i and returned it instantly. Then I had a 325i for a while, thought it was just okay and I sold it. Tried a 225i and it was better than the other two but ultimately unsatisfying as well. I've never tried the older ones or the RS series so this is my first experience with the higher-end Grados.

I have (reluctantly) moved on from the HD800 and K1000 (I will miss them), and I think that the PS1000's are keepers for sure. They are great for rock music, King Crimson never sounded so good! Did you listen to them out of your WA22?

Agreed, they seem to work very well with the WA22; add it to the list!
beerchug.gif

You have definately given the PS1000 threads a boost, good for you, they needed one, they're probably THE most hated flagship headphones out there.

By the way, i drive mine with a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2, for wich i ordered a matched pair of Electro Harmonix tubes yesterday, can't wait to see how they'll sound, compared to the stock Phillips tubes.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #59 of 66
I think T-1 haters are gaining ground.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #60 of 66
I loved PS1000, to me it had more details than HD800, definitely better bass than HD800.
But I didn't buy because of the ear pads and the price. If it was like in low $1000's then yes !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back