Ps audio direct stream dsd DAC
Sep 13, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #226 of 265
You traded in old ps gear ?

How’s the ps jr better ?
Doesn't have to be PSA gear at all. They'll take anything. And I think it's better at playing redbook than Yggy and generally has more dimension and detail to the soundstage. It also delivers an integrated Roon endpoint, acts as a (good but not great) preamp, has a remote, etc. The Yggy just doesn't deliver the value proposition. And the DSD absolutely smokes it. The DSJ is closer, but just the fact that you have about 10 flavors of DAC to choose from now, I think you'll have a better chance of finding a version of software that makes it fit your listening preferences better than the Yggy will.

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #227 of 265
Doesn't have to be PSA gear at all. They'll take anything. And I think it's better at playing redbook than Yggy and generally has more dimension and detail to the soundstage. It also delivers an integrated Roon endpoint, acts as a (good but not great) preamp, has a remote, etc. The Yggy just doesn't deliver the value proposition. And the DSD absolutely smokes it. The DSJ is closer, but just the fact that you have about 10 flavors of DAC to choose from now, I think you'll have a better chance of finding a version of software that makes it fit your listening preferences better than the Yggy will.

So you can change firmware to older versions to get different sound profiles? When I talked to PS they made it sound like the latest is the one that should be used and is the best.

Is the ps kind of like the r2r7 where there’s a smooth and an accurate firmware?

Sep 13, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #228 of 265
So you can change firmware to older versions to get different sound profiles? When I talked to PS they made it sound like the latest is the one that should be used and is the best.

Is the ps kind of like the r2r7 where there’s a smooth and an accurate firmware?
Check out the PSA forums. A lot of people prefer the original firmware, others prefer the latest, some in between. But you can switch between versions in all of 5-10 minutes whenever you want. There's no smooth or accurate, but there are differences I've heard in terms of bass fidelity and size, blackness to the background, and other small variations in instrument placement and soundstage width and depth. I do like the current FW quite a bit, but my larger point was just that you can customize the dac to your preferences to a degree.

The other thing I'll vouch for is that PSA has great customer service and is going to take care of you if you have any issues. Can't say the same for Schiit these days.

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #229 of 265
Check out the PSA forums. A lot of people prefer the original firmware, others prefer the latest, some in between. But you can switch between versions in all of 5-10 minutes whenever you want. There's no smooth or accurate, but there are differences I've heard in terms of bass fidelity and size, blackness to the background, and other small variations in instrument placement and soundstage width and depth. I do like the current FW quite a bit, but my larger point was just that you can customize the dac to your preferences to a degree.

The other thing I'll vouch for is that PSA has great customer service and is going to take care of you if you have any issues. Can't say the same for Schiit these days.

Have to agree with that one, I called PS audio and ask them a bunch of questions about the direct stream and the lady on the phone is happy to answer everything even though I’m not even an owner. I find that pretty rare these days in high-end audio usually you’re dealing with people over email with multiple days of delay in response or waiting on the phone only to leave a message on someone’s machine.

I’m guessing the main thing that turns headphone users away from it is the price. The trade-in program is very generous indeed but it is capped at US$1800 even if you give them tons of equipment that’s worth more than that.

I kind of wonder why the chord Dave which is insanely expensive yet so incredibly popular. I’m sure it does sound amazing but I also think that the PS ds must sound pretty good too from impressions that I read. Something just doesn’t add up.

Sep 14, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #230 of 265
Have to agree with that one, I called PS audio and ask them a bunch of questions about the direct stream and the lady on the phone is happy to answer everything even though I’m not even an owner. I find that pretty rare these days in high-end audio usually you’re dealing with people over email with multiple days of delay in response or waiting on the phone only to leave a message on someone’s machine.

I’m guessing the main thing that turns headphone users away from it is the price. The trade-in program is very generous indeed but it is capped at US$1800 even if you give them tons of equipment that’s worth more than that.

I kind of wonder why the chord Dave which is insanely expensive yet so incredibly popular. I’m sure it does sound amazing but I also think that the PS ds must sound pretty good too from impressions that I read. Something just doesn’t add up.
The two designers come from opposite sides. Ted Smith and PSAudio working in the DSD realm, and Rob Watts and Chord working in the PCM768 region. Rob doesn't like DSD whereas Ted Smith workis with it. I'd love to hear both DACs side by side. Both respectable IMHO.

Sep 15, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #231 of 265
Anyone have impressions of it with the latest Red cloud firmware?

Sep 15, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #233 of 265
The Redcloud firmware upgrade is considered a all around improvement.
The john darko Denafrips review, he said the DS (despite it being DSD only) was the most vinyl sounding DAC he had.

Sorry what do you mean by DSD only? You mean it converts everything it plays to DSD ?

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #235 of 265
Yes.
Directstream has no DAC chips inside.

It automatically converts everything to DSD512, as well as being able to play native DSD.

What whatever you feed it, it will upconvert it to max DSD.

Ah yes I see.

Its interesting though many others put Terminator at a much higher level. See Esotar's list here:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/show...-comparison-test-result-My-Subjective-Opinion

Where he puts it well above Directstream and shockingly above DAVE.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/which-would-you-pick-between-the-two-dac

A user here puts the Terminator above the QX5 twenty! Which is considered by many about DAVE level.

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #236 of 265
Ah yes I see.

Its interesting though many others put Terminator at a much higher level. See Esotar's list here:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/show...-comparison-test-result-My-Subjective-Opinion

A user here puts the Terminator above the QX5 twenty! Which is considered by many about DAVE level.
I suppose I should look deeper into how he arrived at his percentile numbering scheme, and why he ended up with his ranking. But I won't. He said his opinions were subjective, so that's how I'll take them. I am curious to hear about the Ayre vs the DAVE, as I find both Charlie Hansen and Rob Watts' approaches to be meticulous and interesting. Not forgetting Ted Smith, of course.
On another note: I heard rumours about a signature Ted Smith PS DAC in the wind, for a possible $20,000. I may never afford it, but I'm intriegued.

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #237 of 265
I suppose I should look deeper into how he arrived at his percentile numbering scheme, and why he ended up with his ranking. But I won't. He said his opinions were subjective, so that's how I'll take them. I am curious to hear about the Ayre vs the DAVE, as I find both Charlie Hansen and Rob Watts' approaches to be meticulous and interesting. Not forgetting Ted Smith, of course.
On another note: I heard rumours about a signature Ted Smith PS DAC in the wind, for a possible $20,000. I may never afford it, but I'm intriegued.

Aren't all opinions subjective?

Sep 15, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #239 of 265
Sep 15, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #240 of 265
Ah yes I see.

The guy definitely prefers warm DACs going by that list.
Hence why the Dave is so low.

I heard from a few impressions that the Terminator was slightly dark sounding & had emphasized bass over other DACs. That would definitely give it a unique sound signature, different from more neutral DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back