Ps audio direct stream dsd DAC
Apr 17, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #32 of 265

There will be more such impressions soon. 

PS Audio was demoing the DirectStream last night at the San Diego Music and Audio Guild and will have a demo set up at next week's Axpona Audio Expo at the Weston O'Hare  in Chicago (April 25-27).
They are also starting production on the first 100 units for upgrade and pre-order customers this week.  And are offering demos at their Boulder headquarters for music fans in the Boulder area.

Looking forward to some more reports on the DS as well.

Where do the San Diego Music and Audio Guild members comment online?

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #33 of 265

Where do the San Diego Music and Audio Guild members comment online?

There's already one on the PS Audio Forum and one over on Computer Audiophile. 
http://www.psaudio.com/forum/#/discussion/6605/directstream-dac-first-impressions.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/ps-audio-directstream-digital-analogue-converter-19591/index15.html

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #34 of 265
popcorn.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #36 of 265
regardless if you think I have it you know plenty of people have heard it by now. it converts incoming format to 10x dsd 30 bit which is not dsd standard. then it converts it to 2x dsd 1 bit. to me this is akin to ripping a cd to mp3. why all the conversion? I know, they explained their methodology. anyhow the modded teac sounds more analog which is ps audios claim here. the msb is a lot better in plain old pcm. of course the msb is many times it's price but the teac even modded is not. interesting technology but there are other options. I am not sure if it sounds better than the pwd mkii but different. it is a completely different beast then the pwd mkii. given that plenty of people have heard it by now I feel it is fair to say this. it is very nice but there are other options. especially at this price point. a sigma delta done right is still plenty good. the lampi is also of interest. I was originally very impressed. I still am. however I would not say it is the end all be all dac. nothing really is. yet. technology is moving forward and I think we will see much more in the future. one day this will be a relic of course. i envision pure 100x dsd. it is possible. sort of like the evolution of cd players.

ps audio does know how to build stuff. especially with modifications. if this were to be modified it could probably easily surpass the teac and possibly msb. I am just guessing at that. I don't know yet what can be done. my Cullen modded gcha is a very serious headamp to this day. it incorporated outstanding novel technology. with the now defunct Cullen circuits mods it sounds fantastic. I imagine we will see what people do with the directstream soon enough. hopefully it is an open book. it is very good as is but I think it could be fabulous. still, digital is just not analog. probably never will be. if that is what one desires at this point it is best to just get a turntable. digital in it's own right is really good at this point and the directstream is a pretty good approach. certainly a strong contender at it's price point.

May 9, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #37 of 265

Listening to it now. This thing is fantastic. It's great with dsd or PCM. And the combo in the pic makes it soooo good

And that is hd800 on the other end of that cord .
Al

May 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #38 of 265
Hi Al,

you are not using Off-Ramp anymore with new DSD

May 9, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #39 of 265
No , when I first hooked it up I did and it sounded ok . But without it I think it is even better. The dac gets two thumbs up from me only my msb and now the direct stream does not need the offramp. I have lampi level 7 coming so I will try it with that as well.
Al

May 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #40 of 265
your were big fan of offramp, if you are liking new DSD without it. Then it must be really special, I got MKII recently so I must resist

May 9, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #41 of 265

Listening to it now. This thing is fantastic. It's great with dsd or PCM. And the combo in the pic makes it soooo good

And that is hd800 on the other end of that cord .
Al

Glad to hear how much you like the directstream.  I'm waiting for my upgrade kit.  Can'r wait!

May 9, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #43 of 265
Glad to hear how much you like the directstream.  I'm waiting for my upgrade kit.  Can'r wait!

You will be very happy. And it does PCM very well and dsd as well. It's a special dac . It has the sound of dsd with PCM . Post when you get it .,or pm me I would very much like your thoughts
Al

May 9, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #44 of 265

Users who are viewing this thread

Back