Ps audio direct stream dsd DAC
Apr 10, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #16 of 265
  have it. if dsd is your thing this might be the best dsd dac yet. it is very digital but I really like it. very clean. my modded teac has a more analog sound,better placement and wider soundstage but I purposely exaggerated those things. I think the directstream is the real cd sound as it was meant to be. if you don't want to mod and like vinyl msb in pcm is going to be better at a lot more money. the directstream is how I envision cd. of course the sony scd-1 pretty much did this 20 years ago. don't get me wrong though I really like it. I will probably mod it and then it will kill the teac to my liking. the more dsd the better I say.

Hi music_man. Would love to hear some more impressions if you have the time!

Do you think it justifies the hype?

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #17 of 265
oddly I am not good at putting what I hear into words. it is really like I said. this is how I envisioned redbook. it's clean. fast without overstepping itself. the separation you would expect from digital. super dnr. non existent noise floor. it is really good digital. if you want analog sounding digital this is not it. I love dsd and this is the best dsd I have heard yet. I guess it all depends if you like a cutting digital sound. it is much different than the pwd mkii. so as usual you really need to listen. I think ps audio has a demo period but they are already sold out. I still think I have to mod the output to get a smoother analog sound and then maybe it is the best of both worlds. as it stands if you like a very digital sound it is like sacd on steroids from redbook. I don't mean it is like robotic I mean it is very clean and sharp. kind of like how a great digital amp sounds but with a digital amp I think this would begin to sound artificial.

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #18 of 265
What kind of music are you playing it on? When I heard it sounded realist and natural to me. It is great to bring out details that sometimes get buried in the mix. However I did not get the chance to try it out with my music at this time. What ways is the DirectStream different from the pwd mkii you had?

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #20 of 265
john, it is super detailed. very sharp without being edgy very upfront kind of hot but not pushy. attack and decay is not like analog but pretty neat. I was playing easy listening,electronic jazz and techno. I know that is funny what I listen too. however on tupac and jay-z it was awesome. it would be killer for up-tempo rap. the pwd mkii is more laid back and has sort of a veil compared to the directstream. that is only when you compare it to the directstream. I never thought of it as veiled. the directstream is just so "there". I mean not like live "there" kind of like why I love the grado ps1k. the presentation is like 3rd row center. that is a good thing because I never sit in the first row.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #22 of 265
popcorn.gif
 i just hope they focused on the sound and not the stupid gimmicks. Still I am curious. Hope to audition it sooner or later. Overall, I like PS audio. I have had the Dliii and now the PWD. Still, I may just get OR5 (or 6 if it ever comes out). I wonder if the price keeps steady. 

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #23 of 265
you probably know that I am in the industry. often times I get things earlier than the general public.

actually they did ship to regular customers already. they are currently sold out and taking pre-orders for may. you seem to have had misinformation.

are you going to get one anyways? it's great to know about something, another thing entirely to actually obtain it.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #30 of 265
  Sorry to say it but I'm suspicious too...

Yep, been looking at the PS Audio thread but I'm more interested in hearing  'independent' impressions of this DAC.

There will be more such impressions soon. 

PS Audio was demoing the DirectStream last night at the San Diego Music and Audio Guild and will have a demo set up at next week's Axpona Audio Expo at the Weston O'Hare  in Chicago (April 25-27).
They are also starting production on the first 100 units for upgrade and pre-order customers this week.  And are offering demos at their Boulder headquarters for music fans in the Boulder area.

Looking forward to some more reports on the DS as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back