PS Audio Digital Link III
Nov 6, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #362 of 558
yes. i use toslink to connect my cdp to the dac and coax with my squeezebox. i usually would disconnect the coax from my squeezebox and connect it to my cdp, but i found it to be too much of a pain to connect/disconnect so i switched to toslink. i don't hear a difference between coax and toslink anyway.

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #363 of 558
You can use all three inputs at once and switch between them from the front panel.

What's not recommended, althoug it can be done, is using both outputs at once, balanced and single ended. I'm curious as to why this might not be optimal.

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #364 of 558
Just bit the bullet and purchased Stage 4 Cullen Mod DLIII. Will see how this compares to my current Benchmark DAC1 USB.

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #365 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can use all three inputs at once and switch between them from the front panel.

What's not recommended, althoug it can be done, is using both outputs at once, balanced and single ended. I'm curious as to why this might not be optimal.

I can understand not runnng them both at once is the circuits aren't designed to handle the output load or something but are you not supposed to have both outputs even hooked up? That would be a bit of a bummer - I suppose they expect you to use a preamp but still having switchable outputs wouldn't be all that hard I'd think.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #366 of 558
peanuthead,

Please post your impressions between the two when you get the chance. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bit the bullet and purchased Stage 4 Cullen Mod DLIII. Will see how this compares to my current Benchmark DAC1 USB.

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #367 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can understand not runnng them both at once is the circuits aren't designed to handle the output load or something but are you not supposed to have both outputs even hooked up? That would be a bit of a bummer - I suppose they expect you to use a preamp but still having switchable outputs wouldn't be all that hard I'd think.

I had two amps hooked up to mine and just turned on one amp at a time, no problem. DL3.4

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #368 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by omigawsh_lollercoaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had two amps hooked up to mine and just turned on one amp at a time, no problem. DL3.4

Maybe they caution you from doing it so that you don't accidentally turn both amps on at the same time. Maybe this would cause a drop in the line level voltage.

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #369 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe they caution you from doing it so that you don't accidentally turn both amps on at the same time. Maybe this would cause a drop in the line level voltage.

I did leave one on accidentally when I switched to the other once, the phones were out but I could see by the meters the first amp was still getting signal, so definitely wasted energy. Do they actually recommend not hooking up both outputs or just not using both at once?

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #371 of 558
Isn't it though?!
wink.gif

From the DLIII manual:

"You can use both RCA and XLR outputs at the same time if needed, however, this is not
recommended."

I'm going to post a note in their forums asking why it's not recommended.

Nov 10, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #372 of 558
Yeah I can understand not *using* both at once because of the way the circuit might be designed but not being able to hook up both would be a little strange. Then again they could design the circuit to be robust enough to drive both outputs too but I don't know maybe there would be more problems than just voltage and current.

Thanks for posting on their forum! I look forward to the answer.

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #373 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I can understand not *using* both at once because of the way the circuit might be designed but not being able to hook up both would be a little strange.

Perhaps they say it as a precaution. If both amps are hooked up there is a possibility somebody could accidentally turn them both on.

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #374 of 558
Yeah that's true. I imagine the circuitry cannot handle the load of both outputs very well, not necessarily that they'd be damaged just that it would be well out of the 'sounds good' range of specs for the circuit. Does having an amp hooked up but not powered have any interaction or present any kind of load to an output circuit?

Honestly they should have just put an output selector relay circuit or even passive switch in there
tongue.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #375 of 558
I have a stock DL III and always use RCA output to my GCHA. Recently, I got DT880/600 ohm, which requires quite a bit juice to run it. I usually need to turn the volume knob to about 12~1 o'clock position.

Today I just got XLR interconnect. BTW, my GCHA is quite unique one, which has balanced input (it is stock but with XLR and confirmed by PSA. Although all picture at PSA website only has RCA input on GCHA).

When I used the balanced connection between DLIII and GCHA and out to a SE DT800/600ohm, immediately I feel it is louder than usual and the sound seems to be much fuller and richer. Now I only need the volume know to be at about 11 o'clock. It is a pleasing surprise. I remembered PJ mentioned about the improvement of using balanced connection between DAC/AMP only and all the way, which makes me longing for a balanced HP now.
icon10.gif

Anyhow, I would just like to confirmed that XLR output (~ 5V according to post here.) is higher than the RCA output (by how much?).

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back