PS Audio Digital Link III
Oct 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #331 of 558
The one thing that keeps me away from the DLIII is that the output voltage is too "hot" at around 2.75 volts, whereas a typical device is around 2 volts. But if the Cullen mods actually reduce the output voltage, I would be very interested...
Sometimes I wonder if the designers made the output voltage higher, so that in a direct comparison, DLIII sounds louder, and thus better...

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #332 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I wonder if the designers made the output voltage higher, so that in a direct comparison, DLIII sounds louder, and thus better...

Have a listen yourself... I think that's precisely what they did.

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #333 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone on these forums measured the voltage output of the DLIII and found that it was near 5V (??? I think)

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one thing that keeps me away from the DLIII is that the output voltage is too "hot" at around 2.75 volts whereas a typical device is around 2 volts.

2.75V is only slightly above normal tolerances, and easily volume-adjusted by any decent amp. Presumably the lower measurement is single-ended, and the higher 5V's is from the balanced-outs?

Has anyone ever tried using attenuators on the output jacks?

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #334 of 558
I just got my hands on the KICAS Caliente. I've cranked it up to earsplitting levels and I'm not hearing any of the distortion I was hearing with LISAIII. The bass on this amp is actually pretty incredible. Unfortunately it's also overwhelming everything else with the Denons. Switching to the HF-1 is better, giving me the bass slam of the PS-1s, but without the refinement.

It's actually a clean sounding amp but the bass is just too much for my tastes.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #335 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was searching for info on the DLIII with the LISAIII and it looks like you have both. I recently picked up a DLIII and have noticed distortion with my Denons and Grados once I reach about halfway on the volume knob. To be sure, this is louder than I would normally listen but from time to time I briefly crank up the volume just to see how well my system performs at high volumes and if any distortion is introduced.

With my previous DAC, Ack dAck II, I did not have this problem. I'm thinking that the output from the DLIII is hotter, which is causing the problem. Have you noticed this problem with the LISA III either with the stock or modded unit?

If I keep the volume at normal listening levels I think the sound is great, much more detailed and airy than the Ack, but just as smooth. Also, I don't have this problem at all with my SRM 1/MKII Stax amp.

\

I just double checked at high volume and no problem. I put the Lisa lll in line with the power supply on....LLP. Turned it so high i had to take my ears away and totally clean.

I will tell you though, it did happen to me at one time with this set up. What had happened was I was running off battery power and when I tried to drive the HD800s (power hungry) with the Lisa lll and the DLlll I got a lot of bad distortion, it turned out to be that I was low on batteries enough that the high volume had distorted. Try plugging it into your LLP or charge the batteries up and see what happens.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #336 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just double checked at high volume and no problem. I put the Lisa lll in line with the power supply on....LLP. Turned it so high i had to take my ears away and totally clean.

Thanks for checking.

Quote:

I will tell you though, it did happen to me at one time with this set up. What had happened was I was running off battery power and when I tried to drive the HD800s (power hungry) with the Lisa lll and the DLlll I got a lot of bad distortion, it turned out to be that I was low on batteries

That was my original thought because I knew I had unplugged the amp recently. But even after I let it charge for 18 hours it still distorted. I just checked all the cables and wires again and it's plugged in.

At some point soon, I'll try it again with the DLIII and see what happens. There's no distortion if I leave the amp plugged into the CD player so I'll just leave it like that for a while as I play around with my Caliente.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #337 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone on these forums measured the voltage output of the DLIII and found that it was near 5V (??? I think), and then they measured the output of a Cullen modified DLIII and it was nearly half of that. So yeah, the stock DLIII's have a higher output voltage.

Yeah, wiatrob measured my stock DLIII and greenman9's Cullen DLIII XLR out (with a 60Hz tone playing) at RMAF and got those results. From a recent email with Rick Cullen asking about that:

"We can attenuate the output of the DL-III. We are introducing a DAC under
the Wyred 4 Sound brand and plan on continuing to offer the DL-III upgrades
as long as there is a demand."

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #338 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for checking.

That was my original thought because I knew I had unplugged the amp recently. But even after I let it charge for 18 hours it still distorted. I just checked all the cables and wires again and it's plugged in.

At some point soon, I'll try it again with the DLIII and see what happens. There's no distortion if I leave the amp plugged into the CD player so I'll just leave it like that for a while as I play around with my Caliente.

Sorry to hear that you still have the distortion. Mine is modded by RAM and I don't know if that is why I don't have that problem but it may be. Like I said before, I was jumpy about doing modding but I am really happy with the results.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #339 of 558
I'm thinking I'm eventually going to have the DAC modded, too. I'm liking it so far and if what I've read is to be believed the mods will give me a world class source for middle class dollars. I think my ultimate goal now is to put together a balanced system.

But I like to live with gear for a while before making a change. I can be happy with the stock unit for quite some time, I'm sure. I just need to find the right amp.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #340 of 558
I got a stock DLIII for some time. My first trial mating with SPA GCHA and K702 turn out to be a little bit edgy and thin, so I immediately switch back to my old combo Stello DA100 + GCHA + K702.

Sometime later, I found out my DT880 sound even better with GCHA but still with Stello. Today, I finally bring DLIII back to my office to mate with GCHA and DT880. Now I was so amazed DT880 sound so good with this PSA pair. DLIII + GCHA leave more space between instruments and listener. The sound quality is like crystal: so clear, detailed, and yet not a slightest sign of being edgy. Best I have heard from my gears yet.

Stello still give good but has smaller soundstage (closer instrument/listener distance). It is also "hotter" than DLIII. I am very happy with this PSA pair and DT880 for my New Age/Classical/Female vocal at this point.

I also look forward to the Stello pair (DA100 & HP100) with K702.
smile_phones.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #341 of 558
After following this thread for the past year, then researching possible improvements to the DLIII with Rick Cullen at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, I have decided to send my PS Audio DLIII to Rick Cullen for stage III mods. My reasons are:

1) Rick was involved in the very beginning with both the design and the manufacturing of the Digital Link III. so who better to be involved in determining the optimal upgrades and improvements? One might argue, but will the original designer be biased towards the original design and not be open to fresh perspective for improvements? Perhaps, but it has been years since Rick’s involvement with the PS Audio products and after all, he makes money on the mods and any improvements he can provide so I would think like most designers, he is always looking to improve the standard.

2) Cullen Circuits has and still does perform a large number of DLIII mods and has the process refined. I seem to recall somewhere reading that Cullen Circuits performs more PSA DLIII mods than anyone else. So even though Rick does not personally perform the mods, the Cullen Circuits techs have a clearly defined process for modifications and testing.

3) I have had a few bad experiences with some of the known modders out there and have personally witnessed a few of their hack jobs on gear. Rick had some of his amps opened at RMAF, and I can say the build quality was superb. The key issue for anyone having mods performed for them is whether the mod will actually improve the sound. Some DLIII clock upgrades suggested may not necessarily provide the outcome you one would expect when paying upwards of $500 or more. Implementation is key to any modification, not change for changes sake. I liked the way Rick explained how his modifications would improve the musicality of my system so I will give him the opportunity to prove his words.

Whether the mods performed are a moderate, significant improvements or a failure I will report back. My only motivation is a search for a good audio return for my dollar and to share my experiences with the community. We shall see…..

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #342 of 558
I got my cullen stage IV modded DLIII directly from the Cullen site. Nice folks to work with, and I love the DAC.

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #343 of 558
I'm greatly looking forward to your impressions after the mod. I may want to do the same at some point.

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #345 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some DLIII clock upgrades suggested may not necessarily provide the outcome you one would expect when paying upwards of $500 or more. Implementation is key to any modification, not change for changes sake.

In talking to Rick, this was my understanding as well. He doesn't just guess and put something in without verifying noticeable improvement first. I can confirm that their work is first rate - even looking at it close up, the precision is machine like. I'm kinda sad to sell mine, but I need X-Mas money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back