PS Audio Digital Link III
Aug 16, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #136 of 558
I am still skeptical if modding the PSA DLIII would make a significant difference to me in my current system. Having said that, knowing the high regard PS Audio has for Rick Cullen's work and the fact that the Cullen mods will not affect PS Audio's warranty has me reconsidering my position. If I were to ever consider modding the DLIII, the Cullen Mods would be the only way I would go. You never know when something ever so slight might go wrong and having the warranty kept intact is a layer of security I would not wish to surrender. Besides when doing a Google search, Rick seems to have a stellar reputation.

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #137 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I'm still leaning towards this as my first desktop DAC. Though I must say, my Pico is doing a pretty good job in the meantime!

Are most of you guys just buying used on Audiogon or what?

Bought mine new direct from Cullen.

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #138 of 558
I bought mine used here on the for sale forums 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier, it really does sound every bit as great as Wharf Rat makes it out to be...Being that this dac has been out for a few years, if you don't mind buying used I'd probably recommend that instead of buying it new. This way if you don't like it you only paid what the market demands for a used dac so you can probably resell it with losing little or no money at all.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #139 of 558
Wow! It's the only adjective that really works. I truly understand what all of the source first people are really getting at. The Cullen IV modded DLIII has improved every piece of my system. I have always loved my 650's and my Raptor, but they have been taken to a whole new level. I had really enjoyed the RS-1's at first, probably b/c they were so different than my 650's, but recently they just weren't pulling me in. I found them too fatiguing, even with a tube amp. Well, turns out getting a better source has fixed all of those problems. All of the things that originally pulled me in on the RS-1's, great up front punch, liquid mids', great, detailed bass are back X 10.

I also was considering selling my HR Maxxed Desktop. I even started a thread in the amp section looking for a good SS compliment to my Raptor. The sound of the HR was just not as inviting, too harsh, still great, but I really saw no reason, ever, to choose it over the Raptor. Well, hook up the new DAC, and with both of my cans, a 180 degree difference. No more harshness, just the liquidy, transient speed and detail you'd expect out of a great SS amp. I will happily not be pursuing any other SS alternatives.

This is one incredible piece of equipment. I was on the fence for a long time, now I wish I would have made the plunge long ago.

Really, I only want to give the HD800's a try, and after that, I think I'll be set for a very, very long time.

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #140 of 558
I've had my stock PS Audio DLIII since June I think, and I've been perfectly happy with it un-modded. I'm still considering the Cullen mods when I have some free money to throw away, but people shouldn't discount a stock one either. The sound without mods still seems to fit most of the descriptions by people with the Cullen mods.

In 96K up-sampling mode it sounds very similar to a Stello DA100 Signature, and with my Stax O2 Mk1/GES I can use the 192K mode to brighten up the O2 and open the soundstage a little bit more. With my Apogee mini-DAC my Stax O2 Mk1 still sound too dark at times, and treble extension is not quite as good. I think the PS Audio DLIII bass may be better as well.

At the Colorado meet 7/25/09 I had the Macbook Pro > DLIII as the source > ZDT > HD800 and the Woo GES > O2 Mk1 and everyone seemed to be impressed with the sound.

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #141 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! It's the only adjective that really works. I truly understand what all of the source first people are really getting at. The Cullen IV modded DLIII has improved every piece of my system. I have always loved my 650's and my Raptor, but they have been taken to a whole new level. I had really enjoyed the RS-1's at first, probably b/c they were so different than my 650's, but recently they just weren't pulling me in. I found them too fatiguing, even with a tube amp. Well, turns out getting a better source has fixed all of those problems. All of the things that originally pulled me in on the RS-1's, great up front punch, liquid mids', great, detailed bass are back X 10.

I also was considering selling my HR Maxxed Desktop. I even started a thread in the amp section looking for a good SS compliment to my Raptor. The sound of the HR was just not as inviting, too harsh, still great, but I really saw no reason, ever, to choose it over the Raptor. Well, hook up the new DAC, and with both of my cans, a 180 degree difference. No more harshness, just the liquidy, transient speed and detail you'd expect out of a great SS amp. I will happily not be pursuing any other SS alternatives.

This is one incredible piece of equipment. I was on the fence for a long time, now I wish I would have made the plunge long ago.

Really, I only want to give the HD800's a try, and after that, I think I'll be set for a very, very long time.

i love my stock PS Audio DLIII, it is my reference dac. for some reason it just makes everything sound fuller with much more power and impact, not to mention the detail. it's amazing what a dac can do to a rig/setup; it's the heart of a rig IMO.

the cullen mods are definitely intriguing. i might pull the trigger later, but for now i'm pretty content with what i have.
happy_face1.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #142 of 558
As others have stated, I'm really surprised why this doesn't get more love, stock or modded. Especially since the price has dropped to $699 on the stock. I guess people just don't know what their missing. I'm happy not to have that problem
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #143 of 558
I wanted to buy it, but the 700 USD price applies only to USA. If you buy it in Europe - the cheapest price that I have found is around 760 euros, which is little less than 1100 USD. I don't like the idea of buying it from USA, because these units don't have a voltage selector. Instead of that I'm waiting for Dr. Meier to release StageDAC (should be quite soon ), which according to Jan has his best crossfeed feature as well.

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #144 of 558
Would this DAC be a noticeable improvement from a decent Yamaha receiver that costs around $1100? I ordered an amp and plan on using my receiver as a DAC and preamp, but if this DAC is better than a middle-tier receiver I may have to reconsider that.

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #145 of 558
I haven't listened to the Yamaha, but I cannot imagine how the answer could be anything other than "yes." The Cullen-modded DAC has been compared to DACs costing 2-3 times as much, which may be a tad enthusiastic, but it is stellar, and it is unlikely that the receiver's DAC section would compare. But I am speculating. If you get return privileges, try it and see.

Aug 19, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #146 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't listened to the Yamaha, but I cannot imagine how the answer could be anything other than "yes." The Cullen-modded DAC has been compared to DACs costing 2-3 times as much, which may be a tad enthusiastic, but it is stellar, and it is unlikely that the receiver's DAC section would compare. But I am speculating. If you get return privileges, try it and see.

I kind of expected it to be better, but I was hoping it wasn't so I could save some money
smily_headphones1.gif
Guess I gotta sell some stuff.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #147 of 558
It's not really fair to compare a $1k DAC to a ~$1k receiver since the receiver has to worry about all kinds of other things which usually degrades the quality of the thing you were after in the first place.

Just think how much better you would be taking a test without any distractions compared to taking a test while trying to cut someone's hair...Wouldn't end up very pretty

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #149 of 558
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultaclock finally came in Friday, modded DLlll shipping today or tomorrow to me with luck. Happy Joy.

I probably don't need to say this, but let us know how she sounds on arrival.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back