Protector or Pico slim for a bass lover?
Jun 14, 2010 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LintHart

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

so because the old Pico slim vs protector thread didn't actually have any comparisons in it (and closed after some heated discussion) i thought i'd start a new thread
as an indecisive buyer in need of some advice. These will be paired with my JH16's

I've preordered the Picoslim, paid and all and used to be dead set on it. I'll be honest as say that my patience has worn thinner than i anticipated and with both the Pico Slim and the Protector
popping up in the FS section recently its got me rethinking things a little.

as far as the argument 'you need to buy a new cable for the protector' goes, its out. I'm getting a TWag regardless.

Obviously the Slim is newer and there are less units out there but i've noticed in peoples sigs that many have both.

i love bass, i like a warmer sound when i can get it so thats one comparisson im looking for but most of all im wondering with amp
is going to give me the most out of my 16's as i cant afford to have them converted into the new JH system and im trying to wait till the second generation.

there seems to be so much love for the protector and somethings telling me that that's the one, but at the same time, i'm a 100% portable man. i really only ever use my headphones
when on the go (which is alot) so the size of the slim is seriously appealing.

At the moment i use a Cowon D2 and Fiio E5 to ramp up the bass with FLAC. That little bass switch on the fiio can do a nice job. (the arrow is also something that intruiges me with that lovely 12gb bass boost but again there is a huge wait and the consensus is that the Slim and protector are higher end? is this so?)

Also if anyone is selling slims, protectors or arrows let me know :wink:

penny for your thoughts guys

cheers

Linton

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 10
Linthart,

I was in the same boat and was waiting on my Slim and just couldn't wait to hear a good portable amp so I went and bought the RSA Shadow and loved it until I got talked into the Protector.  I can honestly say from my standpoint that nothing I listen to sounds as good as the Protector balanced. 

Just last night I took my Grado SR225's out and listenined to them single ended through the Protector and it sounded anemic, perhaps because I am so used to the JH16's now.  That being said when I put the JH16's back balanced I was just blown away.  I listen to alot of Downtempo and Trip Hop which has lots of bass.  In fact last night I was blown away by the song "Drifted" by Groove Armada from Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub)  The sub bass in the beginning of that song could absolutely be felt through my body as if listening to loudspeakers.  I don't think you will be disappointed with the Protector.

Hope this helps some.  I love bass and this has not let me down one bit, only accentuated it.

FRGus723

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 10
IMHO, if you're a bass lover, you should also consider the TTVJ Slim, which goes well with the JH16s and the JH13s.  I realize this isn't answering the original question, just thought I mention it.

I agree FRGus723 that the Protector/Balanced TWag/JH16 Pro is a very appealing configuration, regardless.  We can only speculate how will it compare with the upcoming JH-3A system.

I do not yet own a Pico Slim (ordered one a while back), but I had a chance to listen to one at Can Jam, although, very briefly.  It would be unfair for me to pronounce a verdict on that alone, so about all I can say that I have heard nothing to indicate a clear sonic advantage over the Protector, or for that matter, the TTVJ Slim either.  The form factor is obviously an advantage, especially if you're looking for something to use with a compact DAP.

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 10
^Agree re the TTVJ Slim recommendation.  OP states that he loves bass and wants a warmer sound.  I've heard the Pico Slim, Protector, and the TTVJ Slim and IMO the TTVJ Slim delivers more of what the OP seeks.

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
^Agree re the TTVJ Slim recommendation.  OP states that he loves bass and wants a warmer sound.  I've heard the Pico Slim, Protector, and the TTVJ Slim and IMO the TTVJ Slim delivers more of what the OP seeks.

oooo a new contender thanks monkey. Do we know if there is a wait for the TTVJ slim or is Todd working on a new amp thats gonna outdate it in the near future?

im certainly liking the comments about the protector thanks guys, and after receiving the dimensions, it'll fit perfectly under my cowon d2. though the TTVJ

what about Todd's small hybrid?

ive heard that the slim sounds 'more congested' than the protector. Would this be accurate?

can anyone comment about the arrow? is it in the same league? i know price isn't everything but perhaps its stands for something?

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
oooo a new contender thanks monkey. Do we know if there is a wait for the TTVJ slim or is Todd working on a new amp thats gonna outdate it in the near future?

I recommend shooting Todd an email or better, give him a call. I'm sure he can answer those questions.    

ive heard that the slim sounds 'more congested' than the protector. Would this be accurate?

That is the exact opposite of what I heard when comparing the 2.  Just another data point.

EDIT: I assumed above that you were referring to the Pico Slim and congestion.  If I misunderstood and you mean the TTVJ Slim, then I found that to be slightly more congested than the Pico Slim.  In my opinion, both Slims sounded less congested than the Protector.  I'm sure there are folks who have other opinions.

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
I recommend shooting Todd an email or better, give him a call. I'm sure he can answer those questions. 

Ha that'd be the logical thing to do. i so dont do logical :p (say as he writes todd an email)

i was refering to that perhaps the pico slim is more congested so its very interesting to hear another point of view thanks mate

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #8 of 10
I love the bass on my iQube more than my Protector. It's a clean non-fatiguing sound that's not so warm, though. For warm + bass, I think TTVJ slim is a good option if you're not going balanced with the protector.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 10
Hmm the iqube is simply way too big for my tastes though thank you for the input.

More than happy to go balanced - if I could find a used protector.
Jelt when you say that the ttvj is a good option if not going balanced, does that imply that you think perhaps the
protector is a better option?

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 10
I simply think that soundstage is the most difficult thing to get. Everything else... a change of IEM or (more simply) EQ gets you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back