Out with the pound, in with the kilogram
Out with the foot, in with the meter
Out with the quart, in with the litre

NOT!!!
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2003 at 1:43 PM Post #94 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by jessica00
oh, cant forget "way beyond over yonder thar" and point at something entirely different saying it.
tongue.gif

You are making me miss home Jessica. Reminded me of all the stuff people would say in the street that sounded like sanscrit to me
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2003 at 4:17 PM Post #95 of 109
The Imperial system: the most obfuscated and confusing weights and measurement system that you'll ever love.

Sure metric makes more sense, but being an American usually means you gotta stand out in the world. Our foreign policy doesn't make any sense, so why not keep the Imperial system which doesn't either?
wink.gif

On a more serious note, I think most Americans insist on the Imperial system since we see it as somewhat part of our culture. And Americans don't like change much either. I know I don't plan to switch systems any time soon. I like drinking 32oz sodas, eating 1/4lb burgers, and buying 19" TVs.

Feb 4, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #96 of 109
There's a more logical reson why we don't switch. To do so would require a complete re-tooling of all our manufacturing plants because metric and imperial sizes don't match up. This would mean big $$$.

Feb 4, 2003 at 5:05 PM Post #97 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
19" TVs.

screens sizes - one of the few things we measure with inches in Europe.

Feb 4, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #98 of 109
Didn't know that, Flasken. Just think of marketing advantages of having a whole line of TVs that have metric measurements in the U.S. "Wow, this TV is 48 centimeters and it costs the same as that 19 inch TV. I don't know what a centimeter is but that 48 centimeter TV looks a bit bigger than the 19 inch one."
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #99 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
I like drinking 32oz sodas, eating 1/4lb burgers, and buying 19" TVs.

i prefer my 34" widescreen tv, but hey, i agree with you. i never want to have to order "royale with cheese" ya know?
wink.gif

also, i enjoy ordering pints and i know that they at least sell it that way in ireland and the u.k.
biggrin.gif

of course, the true imperial pint is 20oz, not the sissy 16oz that america thinks it is.

Feb 4, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #100 of 109
CaptBubba,

actually America has come a long way to convert to the metric system.

automobiles now use metric engines. and cars which are made overbroad (like many Fords) use metric bolts. ah, but is it British metric or Japanese metric?

in Puerto Rico the metric system is used, especially for road speed signs, distances and gasoline measures. yup, kilometers and liters.

headphones already espouse 30,40,50,33 mm drivers and 3 meter cords. (at least those not made in Amercia).

America will take a long time converting to metric distances and metric speed signs. businesses which hope to do exchange goods with foreign countries have already made the tool conversion. you think Champion spark plugs only makes American thread sparkplugs? and the last i heard, tyres went metric a long time ago. the American truck may be the last holdout.

planes and boats use knots. but railroads are slowly changing over when new track is laid (so long as it's local). maybe Americans feel that if we change to a metric speed system we'll have to drive on the other side of the road. who really knows?

how do you measure lumber in the metric system? somehow i can't see a carpenter being able to not ask for a 2 by 2. (have you noticed that a 2 by 2 isn't really a 2 by 2?, 3x3 isn't really 3" by 3". etc.?)

how do you measure property? acres will probably take the longest to convert.

Feb 5, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #101 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
how do you measure property? acres will probably take the longest to convert.

1 acre=0.404 hectare.
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2003 at 6:26 AM Post #102 of 109
"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!"

This thread was nice lighthearted fun until Kelly and Grinch turned up
rolleyes.gif

Some people need to spend more time smiling and less time trying to make other people as unhappy as they appear to be.

On topic though, the only non-metric measurement I'm familiar with is a pint
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2003 at 7:04 AM Post #103 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!"

One hogshead=200 pounds
biggrin.gif

We in the railroad industry call railroad engineers (train drivers to you Aussies) Hogheads. The average weight is probably about 200 pounds U.S.. NOT 200 Pounds Sterling
biggrin.gif

I don't know how far that would be though..............
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #105 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
automobiles now use metric engines. and cars which are made overbroad (like many Fords) use metric bolts. ah, but is it British metric or Japanese metric?

Uh? There is only one metric system, that is the whole point of it.

One nice thing with the imperial system is 1/1000 of an inch. Thousands are useful and intuitive when describing close tolerances on machine parts. Compared to 0.025 mm which is a more awkward number to talk about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back