PROPOSAL: The metric system
Feb 1, 2003 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
This is a proposal for a new rule at head-fi.

I've gotten sick and tired of not being able to understand anything in threads, that are about length or weight, for example, the "how much can you bench" thread.

From now on, only use of the metric system is allowed. Use of inches, feet, pounds, yards, miles etc., will be PUNISHED with three hours of listening to music through sony streetstyles.
smily_headphones1.gif

[EDIT: smiley added as indicator of the presence of irony/sarcasm
rolleyes.gif
]

Feb 1, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 109
The metric system is for weak brained folks that can't mutiply by 12 or divide by 3 or 64,12,16 .................... all those odd numbers.

You know how those yanks (I'm not a yankee) have a need to make everything difficult.

Besides, how much is a kilogram?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 2, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 109
2.2lbs = 1Kg = 1 liter of water

Metrics system makes much more sense, everything is related. The imperial system is strange, don't know how that got started really, like 12Oz = 1 Ibs? isn't 1000g = 1Kg much easier? And the whole Fahrenheit thing don't make sense either, water freeze at 0c and boils at 100. simple and easy.

Feb 2, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
2.2lbs = 1Kg = 1 liter of water

Metrics system makes much more sense, everything is related. The imperial system is strange, don't know how that got started really, like 12Oz = 1 Ibs? isn't 1000g = 1Kg much easier? And the whole Fahrenheit thing don't make sense either, water freeze at 0c and boils at 100. simple and easy.

Random link:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a891215.html

Feb 2, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 109
The metric system is a communist plot...it was originally launched to preoccupy Americans with conversion from familiar measures. As soon as we weren't looking, that's when they'd have us.

Fortunately, it never worked out. Just imagine how different things would have been if the Ruskies had invaded Montana (line in that moronic Red Dawn movie with Charlie Sheen). Think that HeadRoom would be making headphone amps? More like shortwave radios for the people's army!!

We should all thank our lucky stars that the metric system never caught on.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by mekanoplastik
one kilogram weight the same as one liter of water..
wink.gif

m.

Maybe I should have phrased that differently; How much is a kilo?
Went whizzing right over your heads didn't it.

BTW 160z = 1 lb or 1 pint which if of water doesn't weigh a pound.

Like I said the engllish (imperial) system is for thinking men. The metric system is for pansies.
biggrin.gif

I say post in whatever system you use. I have to convert metric numbers to real numbers, you can convert also.

What about that British pound? Why do they call money a unit of weight?

Feb 2, 2003 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by Strogian
Random link:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a891215.html

Having read that, that Fahrenheit guy didn't know what he was doing at all ! he made it all up as it goes along, didn't like negative numbers so he multiplies the original scale by some random amount, and then multiply it by another amount for the sake of doing it, and made up 0 = Water, ice and ammonia chloride?

Now, wasn't that very "scientific" of him?

Feb 2, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD

What about that British pound? Why do they call money a unit of weight?

It just so happens it's call pound, why do they call Dollar a dollar, why not a nat or Stipplulars ?or apple and apple? or table a table? what is so special that the letters T A B L E comes together? You are getting on a completely different territory here.

Feb 2, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
This is a proposal for a new rule at head-fi.

I've gotten sick and tired of not being able to understand anything in threads, that are about length or weight, for example, the "how much can you bench" thread.

From now on, only use of the metric system is allowed. Use of inches, feet, pounds, yards, miles etc., will be PUNISHED with three hours of listening to music through sony streetstyles.

Do you want me to jump on a plane and pay you a visit? The day we use that person metric system is the day the world takes a turn for the worst...
very_evil_smiley.gif

(i'm joking by the way)
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2003 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 109
How much is a kilo? it's 500g, it doesn't go by my head at all. I have bought up with the metric system up until I was 11 when I was living in HK, but I've also lived with the imperial system for 12 years. And the matric system make so much more sense, in the line of work I do (architecture), everything is metric. And it makes things so much easier when you are working with metric, especially with a calculator. How do you add 12oz and 11oz and 12Ib and 2oz on a calculator?

You can't

Feb 2, 2003 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 109
elrod-tom,
The metric system was created in France after the 1789 revolution. The political ideas of enlightment and freedom in France were also an essential part of of the US independance of England. The Statue of Liberty was a gift from France.
For some reason, anyone knows?, US has kept the imperial system. Even UK has given up because there are problem with it, and also in 1971 have discontinued the old 1 pound = 20 shillings and 1 shilling = 12 pence. To further complicate it, there also was a pound sterling = 21 shillings.
I don't know if your statment is ironic, but know that there are many strange stories about the ruskies in USA (approximately ruskies = devils).

Feb 2, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by Anders
elrod-tom,
The metric system was created in France after the 1789 revolution. The political ideas of enlightment and freedom in France were also an essential part of of the US independance of England. The Statue of Liberty was a gift from France.
For some reason, anyone knows?, US has kept the imperial system. Even UK has given up because there are problem with it, and also in 1971 have discontinued the old 1 pound = 20 shillings and 1 shilling = 12 pence. To further complicate it, there also was a pound sterling = 21 shillings.
I don't know if your statment is ironic, but know that there are many strange stories about the ruskies in USA (approximately ruskies = devils).

Ah HAAAA!!! The FRENCH were behind it!! I might have known!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

As an aside, I hope that you didn't REALLY take my Ruskies rant seriously. Please tell me you didn't fall for it.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back