PROPER HOURS FOR BURNING IN Q701
Jul 20, 2011 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ddan6815

New Head-Fier
Could someone tell me what would be the proper number of hours for the Q701 to burn in. Also is there anyway thats better than another  to do it....( Do the volumn have to be turned up, what kind of music is best ect?)

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 21
I recommend using the search bar for methods of burn-in. Users around the site have said the AKG needs ~250 hours.

Personally, I suggest you forget all about "burn-in" and just start listening.

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 21
funny you say that, I always thought with speakers, it was more of a matter of your ears adjusting to a different sound rather than the speakers burning in. I actually thought they sounded pretty **** good out of the box.....thanks

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
Could someone tell me what would be the proper number of hours for the Q701 to burn in. Also is there anyway thats better than another  to do it....( Do the volumn have to be turned up, what kind of music is best ect?)

Heya,

Do it by listening to your headphones. See if you can hear a change day to day. If you want to burn-in while not in use on your head, simply play anything you want at normal/moderate volume. There's a lot of theory about what to play (pink noise, tones, etc), but there's no way to show it working in a measurable way. It's completely subjective to the listener. You'll read that burn-in doesn't even exist in one place. You'll find people who swear by it elsewhere. Just listen to your K701's for a change, it may or may not happen depending on what you're expecting to hear.

Very best,

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 21
Right out of the box, I thought the Q701's highs were unbalanced, a note stuck out here, a note stuck out there.  Somewhere close to 200 hours they smoothed out.  I put 'em on internet radio at normal volume and let 'em cook.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
Heya,

Do it by listening to your headphones. See if you can hear a change day to day. If you want to burn-in while not in use on your head, simply play anything you want at normal/moderate volume. There's a lot of theory about what to play (pink noise, tones, etc), but there's no way to show it working in a measurable way. It's completely subjective to the listener. You'll read that burn-in doesn't even exist in one place. You'll find people who swear by it elsewhere. Just listen to your K701's for a change, it may or may not happen depending on what you're expecting to hear.

Very best,

Could it possibly be your ears are just adjusting to the sound of your new phones the more you listen to them?

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
Could it possibly be your ears are just adjusting to the sound of your new phones the more you listen to them?

I'll butt in. 
regular_smile .gif
  I did not listen to my Q701s much after the first determination.  I just let them play without me because I was worried that I had made a wrong decision to buy.  Later, when I put them on, I noticed the difference.  Sure your ears adjust.  In this case, however, I think it proved that burn in can change the sound.

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 21
Pink noise, it basically reproduces all the frequencies in music in the correct proportion. Besides, it's fairly unintrusive as noise go, it's cool if you burn in in your living room or in a bedroom.

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 21
The Q701 which I presume is very much like the K701/702 hence there is no set amount of time for burn-in, some people will say 100 hours, 500 hours, 1000 hours etc... It's all very subjective in my opinion, I usually just listen to them and find out that over time the sound usually smooths out a bit or that is at least what I perceive, the difference in the end will be a minimal change at most, so don't believe the OMG after 100 hours the headphone sounds completely improved in every aspect, that is pure delusion
very_evil_smiley.gif
. If you want the Q701 to have a more smooth, natural and lush sound you have to look into proper amping and source. This will bring you closest to achieving your desired sound, if you are not satisfied after the "burn-in" that is...
biggrin.gif
Cheers,

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
The Q701 which I presume is very much like the K701/702 hence there is no set amount of time for burn-in, some people will say 100 hours, 500 hours, 1000 hours etc... It's all very subjective in my opinion, I usually just listen to them and find out that over time the sound usually smooths out a bit or that is at least what I perceive, the difference in the end will be a minimal change at most, so don't believe the OMG after 100 hours the headphone sounds completely improved in every aspect, that is pure delusion
very_evil_smiley.gif
. If you want the Q701 to have a more smooth, natural and lush sound you have to look into proper amping and source. This will bring you closest to achieving your desired sound, if you are not satisfied after the "burn-in" that is...
biggrin.gif
Cheers,

You're right.  It wasn't an OMG moment.  They were just better after 200 hours. 
normal_smile .gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 21
The Noob speaks,
I got a pair of Q's in mid July '11, I thought they sounded fine straight out of the box, especially the bass which is deep, tight and punchy, but they do seem to be getting smoother as time goes on, I think I got approx. 200 hours on 'em, and they do seem to be opening up but as  bbophead says, "it wasn't an OMG moment".
I'm using a Matrix M Stage, but even the headphone jack on an iPad 1 sounds fine.
I also have an iBasso D12 which is a fine DC but really can't drive these 'phones properly, wadya want from a matchbox?..................just my opinion...........YMMV

One of these days I'd love to try the Q's with a tube amp.....oh my aching wallet

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 21
I dunno if it was burn in but after several hundred hours, I thought they sounded much better than what I remembered when I just got them. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
this post was very helpful, also i just ordered some white ones 
k701smile.gif
 super stoked about them

Mr gx4200,
Sir,
 You are in for a treat.  These are very fine headphones.  If you don't like them at first (but you probably will) they sound better as they break in.
Enjoy and keep us posted!  I'm listening to them right now and they sound great with jazz.  On some tracks bass seems to be subterranean. Please excuse my spelling........
Chris

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #15 of 21
Mr Chris J,
my good sir, 
head-fi isnt letting me "re-quote".... anywho my experience with "highend" headphones consists of some bose qc3's all  the way to my current setup the legendary bose tri-ports -____-
so ya i think im going to like them no matter what. and plus even if i dont like the way they sound they still look frickin sweet, i can just walk around and look cool :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back