Proof for the Creative N200 / V200 "click" problem! Pics & Waves.
Jan 13, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #16 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpian007
I'm pretty sure the Muvo TX/NX range of players don't experience this problem.

I wonder if this is the same problem or not?

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #17 of 65
I am not sure about the TX, maybe have a look at the european Creative forum, there is more going on about this.

Update: Creative just released a new firmware for the N200, but nowwhere mentions the Click issue. Maybe I will test it on the weekend (my new hobby...).

However, one of the moderators on the Creative forum said that there will be a solution soon. Seems that at least some people at Creative are aware of the problem and try to do something about it!

Jan 14, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #18 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by breadnbutter
I am not sure about the TX, maybe have a look at the european Creative forum, there is more going on about this.

Update: Creative just released a new firmware for the N200, but nowwhere mentions the Click issue. Maybe I will test it on the weekend (my new hobby...).

However, one of the moderators on the Creative forum said that there will be a solution soon. Seems that at least some people at Creative are aware of the problem and try to do something about it!

So this should be a software issue (that's if the issue is present in most N200 anyway in the first place) that can be solved by a new firmware, right?

If so I won't hesitate in buying the N200 because I really want FM Radio on my bus rides.

Jan 14, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #20 of 65
Yep, it may mean a replacement as well. And so far Creative did not officially acknowledge the problem - even though several creative employees did so.

So if you want to be sure and can afford to wait that may be wisest.
On the other hand the the N200 is already usable in the current state, since the clicks don't happen too often. But I would not be willing to live with that permanently, i.e. if there is no solution in the next weeks I am going to return mine.

Jan 14, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #21 of 65
The firmware update is for the explorer and not the stuff on the N200 itself, i applied it last night. I am really happy with mine even with occasional pops.

Jan 15, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #22 of 65
Just installed the new firmware - no apparent effect on backlight buzz / click sounds (maybe even more clicksounds then before?).

However, seems like Creative came up with a hardware solution for the buzzsound at last:

http://de.europe.creative.com/suppor...e=52447&page=3

Jan 15, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #23 of 65
These clicks are also present on iaudio players , U2, I4, G-3, and they use the same chipset sigmatel 3500 series as the muvo micro n200. There are posts about clicking noises in the jetaudio.com forum and iaudiophile.com . I have a 512 u2 and hear the clicking sometimes.

Maybe a problem with the dac, or dsp????? Oh, audio quality on those units is outstanding also!! And they have stronger amps than the muvo.

here, hear lol. brainfart!!!!!!!!

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #24 of 65
I was fearing that somebody might say that! Oh man, that could be really BAD news. If this is a fundamental flaw of the Sigmatel chipset we are really screwed. I guess the chance of a fix then tends to zero. And since the Sigmatel chipset seems to be the soundquality leader (apart from this) there is probably no god alternative either.

By the way, I thought the headphone amplifier was part of the Sigmatel chipset? So how is the IAudio U2 different to the N200 in that respect?

Anyway, thanks for your input, Ihatepopupads. This is really getting interesting...

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #25 of 65
Well ,it's wierd , The carbon uses the same chipset, so the amp must be seperate??? If you listen to an iaudio and a muvo , the output of the iaudio is much louder . I don't know what the output of the muvo is , but I know it is 13mw a channel for the iaudio, which is pretty good for a tiny player.

I just got a zen micro and there no clicks (the thing is almost too clean) , but I don't think it has a sigmatel chipset.

It is still better than the white noise problem iriver had with the philips chipset in the 700- 800 series.

Seems almost certain it is the chipset, but the new iaudio firmware seems to have helped greatly . I still think it is one of the best chipsets for sq. (although I am curious as to what creative used in the zen micro?)

Jan 17, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #27 of 65
I think this has been asked before but I just want to clarify the situtation:

Does only the Micro N200 suffer from this clicking defect? Does the Muvo TX FM NOT suffer from the same problem?

Thanks.

Jan 18, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricola_pak
I think this has been asked before but I just want to clarify the situtation:

Does only the Micro N200 suffer from this clicking defect? Does the Muvo TX FM NOT suffer from the same problem?

Thanks.

I'll go so far as to say my particular MuvoTX (the non-FM version) does not add any artifacts of its own. So... mine is certainly a keeper. Maybe I got lucky and have a "good" chip ?>???

Garrett

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #29 of 65
Breadnbutter, I have read your posts on the German forum. It appears to me that Merlin uses very high bitrate mp3s. Could that be a source of the problem?

Because I recall someone on this forum complaining about clicking but said it was because his mp3 bitrates were too high.

Please experiment with lower bitrates, or if you have already done so, please let me know if they click as much. Thanks!

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #30 of 65
I updated my page again!

ricola_pak: I have the clicks and squeaks with 192 kb/s CBR mp3's. If that bitrate is too high then the N200 is no choice for me anyway. I have not tried 128's or lower VBR yet, but someone else recorded squeaks with 128 kb/s WMA files.

Some other players might be affected too. I heard from TX and even Zen users, but I cannot confirm those yet. But I am almost sure that the V200 has problems as well (same chipset).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back