Proof for the Creative N200 / V200 "click" problem! Pics & Waves.
Jan 8, 2005 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

breadnbutter

100+ Head-Fier
Some of you might have heard that the Creative Muvo N200 / V200 randomly produces annoying "click" sounds when playing mp3's. I heard this with my new N200 1Gb. The Creative support told me that they are unaware of this issue - but I was quite sure that there is something.

So today I took the time and finally recorded such a "click". Both the soundfile and the analysis in a wave editor clearly proof that there is the click!

I compiled a little webpage on this issue, which includes the recorded soundfiles and nice pictures of the click. If you are interested take a look at

http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/Niko.Wilbert/click/

Sorry for the bad english, but I am a bit tired today (you can send me a corrected html file, then I will replace it).

EDIT: My aim is to make Creative realize the problem and fix it. So if you have any comments as to how present this case any better please tell me.

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 65
you gonna submit it to creative to prove that the prolblem exists?
confused.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 65
Yes, sure. But I guess it will take till Tuesday to get a reply. I am also considering to post this on other forums and maybe inform tomshardware (after all they recommend the V200 for its excellent sound quality).

Jan 8, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 65
No, I am not completely sure. But at least two other people in this forum experienced it. If you look in the Creative forum there are numerous posts there too.
To me it looks like some kind of design error, hopefully this may be solved by a firmware update.

As soon as I hear anything new from Creative I will post it here.

Jan 9, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 65
I have the pop/click issue as well, no doubt about it. I am not bothered by it under the circumstances that I am using the N200 but they are there. I have other issues with the thing.

It's a long thread but you can see the various issues with the tiny N200 here, http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94202 .

Very complete job on proving the existence of the pop/click! No one can argue with your visual data. Great Job!

Jan 9, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 65
This definitely sucks for those who are having an issue with it. I would like to point out that this doesn't appear to be a problem on EVERY n200. I've run down 2 fully charged batteries with mine and have yet to hear any clicking, using a variety of APS EAC->Lame mp3s I ripped myself and both CBR and VBR downloaded files. Glad I got lucky with mine...

EDIT: Well, I just d/l'ed and listened to your click and realized that's not at all what I thought you were talking about. To be honest I could be getting those with every song and likely wouldn't even notice it, since I'm only using this player in a mobile setting. I guess if you're relying on this for listening in an enclosed silent environment somewhere this might be a problem, but considering this is an inch long flash device, I can hardly consider that to be a big issue. Barely audible 'clicks' don't present much of a concern for me in a portable device...

Jan 9, 2005 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 65
Yes, many users probably don't notice or don't care about the clicks (and most users probably do not really care about audio quality anyway). I used my player happily as well, despite the clicks. But in slow tracks the clicks really stand out, even in a seminoisy environment. I listened to it while waiting on an airport (which is I guess not an untypical location to use it!) and spotted 3 clicks in one CD. The way the brain works such an unexpected noise is irritating (like any unexpected audible noise) and thus completely cuts of the flow of music.
I guess at least on this forum some people may feel the same way. And given the complaints in Creatives forum other people do as well.

Finally I would like to add that this is not a problem that should be allowed to be there. Playing back mp3's nowadys should not pose any problem to a company like Creative (and their older players don't have any trouble with that). Now I was able to set up my test and record the click in about one hour, after using the N200 for maybe 20 hours at all (and experiencing the click).
If Creative had any quality control at all this should not have gone unnoticed! Even now that I told Creative about the problem (and its in their own forum) they do not feel motivated to conduct some tests on their own. Hopefully this may now change.

Jan 10, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 65
Creative costumer service told me that they submitted the link to their technical staff, so lets wait. They still want my player, but I do not see much sense in that - I still like it a lot.

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 65
Most interesting thread. Seems that this group of European's have made more progress the we have.

Jan 13, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #13 of 65
Any updates on this issue?

I have been looking at the red N200 player available on the Creative website.

But if it is as you hope that Creative will take care of this problem, then I will enjoy my NJB3 for a few more months
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #14 of 65
If this is too OT pls let me know and I will start a new thread...

Is there any history of this with the Muvo TX series? I just bought a 512M and am COMPLETELY happy with its sonic performance. IMHO it completely stomps on my 6G nomad jukebox in every way except capacity.

I have heard several different .wav recordings of this "click" posted by other users, and I am certain my player does not exhibit this defect.

Anyone have troubles with the MuVo TX 512? Is it something that gets worse or more frequent with time? My MuVo is still under the 30 day return policy...

Thanks!!

Jan 13, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 65
I'm pretty sure the Muvo TX/NX range of players don't experience this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back