Promising new portable headphone amp (Mobile Icon) from NuForce
Feb 17, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #406 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Lee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any idea will it be available in singapore?

I bought mine from Amazon.USD 99 + USD 22 for delivery to Malaysia via USPS. I think Nuforce/Amazon can deliver it to Singapore too.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #407 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Lee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any idea will it be available in singapore?

It's already available in Sg for some time.
I got it from SLT Tech. You can contact Sean @ +65 90666088
Nice guy, he personally delivered to my hotel when I was there in Jan.
[edit] Price : SGD150

Jaben doesn't stock them.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #408 of 486
Had the icon mobile burned in with pink noise for 48 hrs now. Here are my thoughts, listening to the same tracks with the AKG271S.

The soundstage has expanded and there is a definite improvement in detail. I was hearing a lot more in the music than before. Each different line in the orchestral texture could actually be picked out easily. It is rather forward though, as if I am on the podium or the first two rows.

The harshness and nasal quality in the treble has cleared and it is much more acceptable now.

I also retract my previous observation that it had barely sufficient power to drive my cans. I realised those tracks I used had extreme dynamics and superbly recorded and I had to had the volume to the max. With jazz/pop and others, its only at half. Therefore, unless the recorded material is demanding, the inherent power should suffice.

Again,considering its price, I'm more than happy with it. Will post my observations again once I go beyond the 200hrs burn in mark.

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #410 of 486
I use the output on the extreme left. I don't think it matters though.

Have only used it twice to drive the Creative T40 active PC speakers. Can't really comment on the sound quality as I only use it when I am watching streamed movies. But its definitely much better than the output from my laptop.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #412 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by orthikon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody using these as a line out to an amp or active speakers?

Which headphone output do you use?

Does it matter?

Use either one, and you should be fine. Just remember the Nuforce turns on when you plug something into the headphone jack and stays on, so if you leave the powered speakers plugged in and turn of your PC then Nuforce mobile will stay on and run the battery down.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #414 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by PG21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this amp work well with Phonak PFEs?

Well, it can be a little bright with the Phonak unless you use the black filters, or maybe the Complys or both.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #415 of 486
Does this amp kinda loose juice when powering two headphones at the same time or is there no discernable loss in quality...even with high impedance headphones?

Sucha great price for an amp this size

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #416 of 486
I have an HD600 and an ATH-ESW10JPN plugged in at the same time, and listening to the ATH-ESW10JPN reveals no drop in sound quality. Unplugging and plugging the HD600 back in does not make any difference in the sound through the ESW10, not even the volume. Bass is still deep and the sound still spacious.

Obviously the 300 ohm HD600 are not playing as loud as the ESW10 (maybe about 3-4dB less) but they sound good too. Plugging and unplugging the ESW10 makes no change in the sound or volume of the HD600.

I do not want to dig out two 16-32 ohm phones right now. I will say I still like this amp with those two headphones, having just popped them on for this test for you.

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #418 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcspectre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thx HeadphoneAddict, i appreciate the quickness and the impressions.

Wow i didn't think the nuforce could power a 300ohm set like the Senns, that's also good to know...

It can drive the HD600 past quiet, past medium volume, and even to moderate volumes, but just not loud volumes.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #419 of 486
Just received my HD600 and I'm pleasantly surprised that this amp can drive it to very acceptable listening levels. Although I must say I am very tempted to get the D10 now...

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #420 of 486
Hi -

I've been using the Icon as a DAC between a laptop and a Denon receiver, listening with Senn HD580s. What would any of you with experience with the Icon's DAC and other DACs see as an upgrade path? Would replacing the Icon with a Hotaudio "Straight DAC" or perhaps the VALAB DAC give me a substantial improvement? Or would I need to go up to something like the audio-gd DAC-100 at $250 to hear a big difference?

Thanks for any input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back