Promising new portable headphone amp (Mobile Icon) from NuForce
Mar 11, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #437 of 486
Just wanted to chime in here and say that I got one of the initiral releases of this great little amp, and had some issues with its performance (left channel dropping out, even after replacing the back plate).

Contacted NuForce and after a few emails they happily sent me out a replacement without inspecting the faulty unit. Thanks Jason
smily_headphones1.gif

But yeah, great little amp that is actually portable without a full body suit holster :p

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #438 of 486
I'm thinking about getting my first portable amp. I've got a pair of Grado Sr80i and Klipsch Custom 3. Will the Nuforce Icon Mobile be an ideal choice? If not, could you please recommend an amp <$100. Thanks.

Edit: I listen to mostly Progressive rock and progressive metal. My source will be a 7th gen iPod. Thanks.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #439 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by yakuzaph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about getting my first portable amp. I've got a pair of Grado Sr80i and Klipsch Custom 3. Will the Nuforce Icon Mobile be an ideal choice? If not, could you please recommend an amp <$100. Thanks.

Edit: I listen to mostly Progressive rock and progressive metal. My source will be a 7th gen iPod. Thanks.

opeth fan here
beerchug.gif

i love this little thing. apparently it can be a little bright with the PFE (depending on the filters) but after the recommended burn-in i'm very impressed with it. especially for prog rock/metal which i listen to a lot of.
bang for buck it's a winner i think.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #440 of 486
Argh.....I'd say that I've had about 30 hours on this thing and it is still too bright for me. This is the case even when using my M-Audio Q40's which are suppose to be bass heavy. Using them with my UE Super.fi Pro 5 is just ridiculous, no bass at all.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #441 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by demo1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Argh.....I'd say that I've had about 30 hours on this thing and it is still too bright for me. This is the case even when using my M-Audio Q40's which are suppose to be bass heavy. Using them with my UE Super.fi Pro 5 is just ridiculous, no bass at all.

It really needs over 200 hours.

But, IMHO the Super.fi Pro 5 are ridiculous no matter what.
devil_face.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #442 of 486
I'm still burning mine in...very happy with it thus far. The low end response is especially impressive for a 12wpc desktop unit. Then again, I'm used to my Jolida tubes so any ss amp should smoke it in the low end.

Has anyone used it as a preamp with a separate power amp? I'm wondering how well it will perform.

Apr 4, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #443 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still burning mine in...very happy with it thus far. The low end response is especially impressive for a 12wpc desktop unit. Then again, I'm used to my Jolida tubes so any ss amp should smoke it in the low end.

Has anyone used it as a preamp with a separate power amp? I'm wondering how well it will perform.

This thread is about the Icon Mobile portable.

Try: Nuforce Icon usb Dac, preamp, headphone amp, power amp ... Everything in one~ - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #444 of 486
HeadphoneAddict, i saw you mentioned the "tele-communication" option (eg. skype) in the PFE appreciation thread. i was wondering if you'd tried it and had success, because i haven't been able to get my mic working in skype. i'm using a nokia n95 8gb headset cable (there's an ne-7m in the mail) and i'm using the right output. windows settings are all set to use c-media usb headphone set. but then even windows sound recorder doesn't pick up anything. i know the nokia headset works. any ideas?
redface.gif
compatibility maybe?
p.s. i'm a bit of a computer geek but all this audio stuff is pretty new to me
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #446 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by b_jay_k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict, i saw you mentioned the "tele-communication" option (eg. skype) in the PFE appreciation thread. i was wondering if you'd tried it and had success, because i haven't been able to get my mic working in skype. i'm using a nokia n95 8gb headset cable (there's an ne-7m in the mail) and i'm using the right output. windows settings are all set to use c-media usb headphone set. but then even windows sound recorder doesn't pick up anything. i know the nokia headset works. any ideas?
redface.gif
compatibility maybe?
p.s. i'm a bit of a computer geek but all this audio stuff is pretty new to me
biggrin.gif

You have to use the inner headphone jack, which accepts mic input, and find some sound control panel to select your input and output as the C0Media USB heapdhone set.

It works in iChat on my Macbook Pro. I set up the input and output in Audio Midi Setup.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #447 of 486
ok, i did mention that i was using the right output. i'm guessing it's the headset. might have something to do with all the music controls incorporated into the mic housing. will wait for the ne-7 to test properly. damn i miss my pfe
frown.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #449 of 486
I just wanted to recognize Nuforce for its support. I bought an Icon Mobile off a head-fier. It was NIB, but I had problems with the L channel having static and dropping out when using the DAC. I was not able to obtain a receipt, yet Nuforce repaired it at no cost. I don't think they had any obligation to repair it under warranty without a receipt, but they did, and they did it quickly and very pleasantly! Thanks, Nuforce! Makes me feel very good about their products. I look forward to seeing what they can do when they put out a 'better' and 'best' model!

Oh, and so far it sounds great, even with minimal burn in.

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #450 of 486
I am very happy to report that the re-revised case design, with full flush connector panel design, allows even the largest connectors to achieve proper connection, and now my ALO Cryo SXC 18G LOD finally works with it!

Even though that's no longer a critical issue for me since I have my P-51 Mustang, it is a good thing to be ensured that there is absolutely no more connector incompatibility with the Nuforce Icon Mobile!

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back