Promising new portable headphone amp (Mobile Icon) from NuForce
Feb 13, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #391 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by neddamttocs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine should be here on the 18th of Feb ...

Ill post up my initial observations as well as after 24-48 (depending on time) observations.

Seems like a bargain for ~120CAD
smily_headphones1.gif

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
!! Please tell me you're buying it used or something...
I paid $150 CAD to amazon with everything in. I then had to pay another $20 for customs! All in, the amp ran me $170 CAD!

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #393 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone please confirm hiss or lack of hiss when the Nuforce is on the high gain setting?

I get no hiss with my M-Audio Q40 headphones while using the DAC on high.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #394 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone please confirm hiss or lack of hiss when the Nuforce is on the high gain setting?

No hiss on mine either on high gain.

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #395 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by demo1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
I paid $150 CAD to amazon with everything in. I then had to pay another $20 for customs! All in, the amp ran me $170 CAD!

A friend had a coupon code i used for amazon ... so that helped quite a bit

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #396 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by demo1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Jeez, I just sold mine for $85 USD on these forums...

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #398 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2000 are a great match with the Icon Mobile. I imagine the HD25 would be too. I had a pair but sold them a long time ago due to the small soundstage. I am told the ESW9 are also a great match, by slswiser.

The D2000 would probably be perfect for me (especially with the option of a re-cable later on) but at a far greater cost than I can afford at this point.
Bit the bullet, just ordered my Icon Mobile from Amazon to the UK. I hope the duty doesn't kill me. Lookin forward to hearing as USB DAC with the PFE
regular_smile .gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #400 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Lee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any idea will it be available in singapore?

Your best bet would be to talk to Uncle at Jaben, and as him to order one for you. Otherwise keep Google searching until you can find a site with reasonable international shipping.

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #401 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Lee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any idea will it be available in singapore?

Hi! Fellow sg! Too bad I'm not coming back anytime soon or else I can help you bring one home.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #402 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by b_jay_k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2000 would probably be perfect for me (especially with the option of a re-cable later on) but at a far greater cost than I can afford at this point.
Bit the bullet, just ordered my Icon Mobile from Amazon to the UK. I hope the duty doesn't kill me. Lookin forward to hearing as USB DAC with the PFE
regular_smile .gif

Use the Complys tips when you use the PFE with Nuforce, or you may have to use the black filters with some music. Make sure you give the amp 200 hours of burn-in as well.

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #403 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by b_jay_k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
regular_smile .gif

FYI, I also ordered from Amazon US to the UK:

$99.00 + $33.50 (Express shipping-only option for Xmas) + $40.00 (£26.77!! Import Duty) -- $172.50 Total or £115.00

I was charged $33.50 Express shipping because of it being a Xmas delivery.

The 'good' news for you, hopefully, is this email from Jason from Nuforce on 11th December:

"...Normally we will try to save money for customer by shipping with USPS Priority Mail and then refund $15 to customer.
But as we get close to the holidays, we will switch to USPS Express Mail and there might not be any refund. We will take a look at our shipping and handling cost."

So, yours may end up costing you a total of about £105

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #404 of 486
Hi all -

My first post here, though I've been lurking for a while.

I purchased the Icon Mobile a while back after reading HA's review, have been using it for a while now, and thought I'd share my experiences.

Although I originally bought it to use with my Zune, currently I'm using it mostly as a DAC in this configuration: Dell Laptop with Foobar & Flac --> USB --> Icon --> Denon stereo receiver --> Senn HD 580 or speakers. This setup sounds to my ears amazingly good both on the 580s and through the speakers - lots of detail & clarity, good solid articulate bass, nice highs. The receiver drives the 580s nicely - too loud anywhere past 9:00.

As for its original purpose as a portable with my Zune, it works well with In-ear buds, driving my Etymotic ER-4s nicely as well as some Shure SE 280s. Plenty of volume with both & the Zune 80. They don't do a lot for the Zune & the 580s, though - doesn't seem to have quite enough power. That's OK, though as I don't do a lot of walking about with those big cans on.

So, a happy camper so far. Now looking to see what a real desktop DAC will do in this configuration. Sorry about my wallet.

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #405 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi! Fellow sg! Too bad I'm not coming back anytime soon or else I can help you bring one home.

Hey hey i'mSG too! Last i heard Audiohouse has started stocking Nuforce items. U might wanna check them out. I dunno whether they have the Icon Mobile yet though.

Fiddle, that's it! We're sending u all our shipping to bring back! hahaha
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back