Promising new portable headphone amp (Mobile Icon) from NuForce
Feb 2, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #361 of 486
Hi, mine arrived a few days later than expected and I've just got my hands on it a few hours ago.

Right off the bat, i agree with Rex81. Although this is my first amp, I truly expected more out of the NuForce Icon Mobile than what i got. I too prefer the sound of my M-Audio Q40 headphones straight out of my ipod nano or laptop than the Icon. I've noticed that the Icon makes the sound very "bright" and sibilant. The "S" sounds are REALLY strong; partially because of the Q40s but the amp just makes it even worst. I really hope these improve with burn in, especially in the bass/mid range.

On the bright side, the integrated DAC works well and as a result, i no longer hear the crackling noises caused by my laptop's internal components. The build is also quite sturdy and the amp turned out to be smaller than i expected.

As far as my first impressions go, that's all i got. I really hope the SQ really improves with burn in.

P.S. What's the best sound to play for burning in an amp? Or is it the same as burning in headphones?

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #362 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok. Got a problem. I received the Icon Mobile today. Charged it up, plugged it in and listened for a while. Disappointed. HeadphoneAddict, I know on your review you said it benefited from burn in. How much did it improve? Because right now, I'm getting ready to box it up and put it up for sale (this will be my 50th post!). I compared it with my Fiio E5 and the Fiio spanks it. The bass goes deeper, the sound is more full and the mids aren't in your face like they are from the Icon. I actually prefer the unamped sound directly out of my $350 laptop.

This post is sounding a lot like a bashing, and I don't mean it to. I guess I was just hoping for a lot more. I'm in the process of running some pink noise through it now, and will do that for the next few days, I guess. Hope it helps.

Either the Fiio is the best value in the entire world and kills amps costing 4 times as much, the Icon NEEDS burn in time, or the Icon just isn't any good. Gotta be one of those three.

Edit: I also wanted to mention that the Fiio gets far louder than the Icon. Which surprised me since its, again, 1/4 of the price, and 1/4 of the size.

Out of the box my Icon Mobile was dull and disappointing. I too thought about giving it back right away. Burn-in changes the sound a lot.

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #363 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of the box my Icon Mobile was dull and disappointing. I too thought about selling it right away. Burn-in changes the sound a lot.

I've been thinking about getting one of these, mainly to bypass the sound of my PC, but also to use portably with an iPod. Now i'm wondering if it may be worth waiting until i can afford something [better?] How will it compliment the Audeo PFEs?

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #364 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by b_jay_k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking about getting one of these, mainly to bypass the sound of my PC, but also to use portably with an iPod. Now i'm wondering if it may be worth waiting until i can afford something [better?] How will it compliment the Audeo PFEs?

I'll snag the Nuforce back from my 11 yr old son tonight and try them together. So far I haven't tried anything that I would say "stay away" except for the AKG K240M 600 ohm which don't get along at all with the Nuforce. I would expect the Phonak with black filters to be just right with the Nuforce, but even the NE-7M were okay with it.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #365 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far I haven't tried anything that I would say "stay away" except for the AKG K240M 600 ohm which don't get along at all with the Nuforce.

I'll bet. I really wish I could resist the urge to spend but I'm also in need of a good pair of closed backs (upgrading from HD202!), considering the HD25-1. Surely the Icon Mobile will be happy with those too? Any suggestions on great value for money in the HD25 range to be paired with the Icon Mobile?

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #366 of 486
I don't want to encourage returns but really, we offer 30 days full refund (except shipping cost which is about $5+ for USA) and have never charge restocking fee even though some people send item back with missing manual or plastic tool.
mad.gif

So if you have doubt, give it a try.

Jason

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #367 of 486
Thanks Jason, I appreciate knowing you guys stand behind your product, and that you have a presence on these boards.

I'm going to do a full burn in on it, and if my opinion changes, I'll update my post and keep it, because I really like the size and build quality, as well as the price.

If I don't love it, I'll send it back your way.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #368 of 486
So after a day of burn-in, I can say that the sibilance i was experiencing has drastically lowered. However, i still feel the mids and bass are lacking. The bass was a lot deeper, louder, and punchier coming straight out of my laptop and ipod. I will continue the burn-in process and hope the bass improves...

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #370 of 486
Feb 4, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #371 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just in case anyone (preferably in Europe) is interested, I'm selling my Nuforce Icon Mobile, which is only 5 weeks old.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...europe-406917/

You may want to lower your asking price a little as the Icon Mobile can be purchased from here brand new for less.
redface.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #372 of 486
Thanks, but perhaps you don't know that their price does NOT include shipping of €14.00 EUR for EU countries or €22.00 EUR Rest of the World; also, I'm shipping by Registered Post with tracking number, and amp already comes with 10 hrs' use + over 200 hrs burn-in.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #373 of 486
Wow, you Europeans have it rough. Nuforce sells through Amazon.com to U.S. for $105 USD shipped.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #375 of 486
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you Europeans have it rough. Nuforce sells through Amazon.com to U.S. for $105 USD shipped.

Yes, looks like the only good deals we get in Europe are on Sennheiser products, eg the IE8 - though I chose to go for the Westone 3s instead and am very happy I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back