proline 750 high volume distortion?
Nov 27, 2007 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Shahrose

Headphoneus Supremus
i'm planning to get a closed set of cans with better bass than the dt990s, so i've set my eyes on the pl750. i'm wondering though, do these cans distort at high listening volumes with bassy songs? i feel if the volume is bearable, no audiophile headphone should distort. but, having said that, the drivers in my dt990s DO rattle at high volumes with bassy songs. i don't listen to headphones at such high volumes usually, but sometimes, when watching a movie perhaps, i tend to like some extra db for bassy + action packed scenes. also, i clearly remember a couple of my friends came over once (not audiophiles), and they turned up the volume dial using the dt990s, and said it was rattling. now ofcourse, these guys listen to ear piercing volumes (ear-piercing for me), but the loudness was still bearable. so i was a bit surprised and disappointed by the fact that a $200+ paid of cans would distort at high but LISTENABLE volumes.

edit: i forgot to mention what most immediately stirred me to make this post: i read a review that said that the pl 750 sounded "harsh" and "edgy" at high volumes but great at low volumes. this obviously concerned me.

i just don't want that happening with my next cans. so if anyone's experimented with the proline 750, or the 2500s at high volumes, and has encountered any distortion with BASSY passages, please let me know. a good test is to run deep bass sweeps.

HERE IS A 30HZ BASS SWEEP TO TEST: http://mach3.stygrn.com/30hz.mp3

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 24
bump

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but sometimes, when watching a movie perhaps, i tend to like some extra db for bassy + action packed scenes.

I think this could be a problem. I can't make my DT990pro distort no matter how hard I try. And I listen to VERY bass heavy music - Drum & Bass, Techno, Trance, Hip Hop etc. I don't use any EQ though.

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 24
they don't distort, they rattle. as if something is touching the drivers as they are vibrating. here, i'm going to edit my post to include a 30hz bass sweep. i can ONLY notice it when i use a bass sweep, no song can really have enough bass at high enough volume to reproduce this. some powerful explosions do cause this rattle though.

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 24
actually i just tested again, and it's definitely more pronounced in the left channel. even at lower volumes i hear this rattling, or buzzing. and i know it's not the source/amp.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 24
I noticed no distortion on my 750 utilizing you low hertz track. I tested a couple other cans in my inventory for comparisons and still noticed nothing. You will hear the compression and decompression of the air as the diaphragm moves back and forth (hence bass), but no rattling/distortion was detected.

Nov 27, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 24
No distortion noticable on my 750's. What I did notice was the vibrating. I'll upload a song for you where this became very noticable for me some time ago. I love it though haha! But I'll first have to get my ipod working properly hmmm...

Edit: Here we go. This specific song is "Conquistador" from Juno Reactor. Check this one out at high volumes and tell me how you felt afterwards..:

RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting

Edit: that site has become complete bs! Takes so long now, sorry if this is too much of a hassle. Maybe my fault..I'm not sure...It does work though...Don't know how else to do this...blahhh...

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 24
yea, it's not distortion guys, it's rattling. i'm 100% sure there's nothing wrong with the drivers, someone mentioned before that it's a piece of the fabric lining the driver touching it when it moving a lot of air. imagine taking a car woofer with no grill and touching the driver with a piece of cardboard as the driver is moving. that's the noise it makes, not distortion, but rattling. in any case, it only bothers me when i hear a bass sweep or some huge long decay bass passage (from an explosion etc.). i might get beyer to replace it later on.

from the initial responses it seems like it's a safe bet that pl750 won't distort under high volume bass passages.
i'm curious about "vibration" contrastique is describing. i will test out that song. and thanks guys for the quick responses. also try to listen to the bass sweep at really high volumes, see if you notice anything.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No distortion noticable on my 750's. What I did notice was the vibrating. I'll upload a song for you where this became very noticable for me some time ago. I love it though haha! But I'll first have to get my ipod working properly hmmm...

Edit: Here we go. This specific song is "Conquistador" from Juno Reactor. Check this one out at high volumes and tell me how you felt afterwards..:

Edit: that site has become complete bs! Takes so long now, sorry if this is too much of a hassle. Maybe my fault..I'm not sure...It does work though...Don't know how else to do this...blahhh...

that's an awesome song cont. btw, i don't notice any vibration. doesn't have enough bass to cause that rattle.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No vibration here either. I also tried without advanced limiter dsp in foobar.

Nov 28, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 24
yea checked for hairs, i couldn't find any. the driver itself can't be broken, otherwise it wouldn't sound perfect and exactly like the right driver with music. but it does. except ofcourse when i run bass sweeps like the one i uploaded at fairly high volume.

Nov 28, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No vibration here either. I also tried without advanced limiter dsp in foobar.

Hmmm odd, maybe my ears...I can't hear it but feel it at certain passages..I like it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back