Project Ember Tube Rolling
May 30, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #451 of 3,354
Great to be back! You can order the Ember and the RCA gray tube at the same time. Be sure to order the correct chassis plate. You will save a lot of $$$ in tube rolling by starting at the top, however the rolling experience is worth the $$$.

By starting with the 6SN7, you will have a great baseline reference point.

May 30, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #452 of 3,354
  Great to be back! You can order the Ember and the RCA gray tube at the same time. Be sure to order the correct chassis plate. You will save a lot of $$$ in tube rolling by starting at the top, however the rolling experience is worth the $$$.

i've had a few tube amps, two little dots, the lyr several times, and a couple of amps from woo, and i've spent some $$$ on tubes before
as for the chassis plate, you mean to accommodate the adapter for the 6sn7 i'm guessing ?

May 31, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #453 of 3,354
Hello @richard51 you were talking about 7193 in your post on the last page. Did you mean there is an adapter for 7193 type of tubes? And does the Ember v2 already come with this? But then you seemed to be mentioning about positive reviews of a specific 7193 tube? Or was this about the type of tubes? Thanks again

May 31, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #454 of 3,354

i've had a few tube amps, two little dots, the lyr several times, and a couple of amps from woo, and i've spent some $$$ on tubes before
as for the chassis plate, you mean to accommodate the adapter for the 6sn7 i'm guessing ?

Hi!

Yes. The aluminum plate has the larger tube hole to accommodate the adapter.

Isn't tube rolling grand?

May 31, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #455 of 3,354

Hi!

Yes. The aluminum plate has the larger tube hole to accommodate the adapter.

Isn't tube rolling grand?

a little habit forming for sure, but worth the effort, a nice tube goes a long way 

May 31, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #456 of 3,354
  Hello @richard51 you were talking about 7193 in your post on the last page. Did you mean there is an adapter for 7193 type of tubes? And does the Ember v2 already come with this? But then you seemed to be mentioning about positive reviews of a specific 7193 tube? Or was this about the type of tubes? Thanks again

sorry for my late response to you.....yes there is an adapter to 6sn7 tube sold by garage 1217 ...For 7193 tubes you must order it in china if you are interested i will indicated you where is the best one....The 2 adapter are necessary to accomodate the 7193 tubes....I have ordered the chineese adapter (6ns7 pins to 7193 pins) without personal experience of the sound because i had read many review on the net and without exception they say that the 7193 tubes are better...The 6 sn7 tube are already better than all my bugle boy or amperex tube ( normal fit on the ember without adapter)....I am looking forward to try.....
wink.gif

p.s. The review say that all family 7193 tubes are good....no1 Kenrad... No2 national union...no3 rca...difference are supposed to be not very important but there... i had purchase 2 ken rad with some national unions one

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #458 of 3,354
Without having to read through the entire thread. Are there a couple of 6sn7 tubes I should look for? I have a Sylvania 6sn7 on the way. I don't know much about it except that Jeremy stated, "You'll be pleased."

That works for me but I'd like to try one or two others and tbh I don't care about looking for a certain sound. one or three tubes or so...all different sounding would be great to me.

I see from reading up on this tube that Sylvania is pretty popular. Any others?

I also came across some nicely shaped tube bottles such as the following:

Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z: http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6SN7-Tube-Types/Shuguang-Treasure-CV181-Z
Northern Electric 6sn7: http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6SN7-Tube-Types/Northern-Electric-6SN7
Sophia Electric 6sn7: http://www.sophiaelectric.com/pages/se/6sn7.htm

Not sure if any of the above are good or not. They look pretty cool but I'll take sq over looks any day.

Any input on any of those tubes? Or recommend another tube?

Thanks

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #459 of 3,354
I would wait and see if you like the Sylvania.  They are good sounding tubes, getting it from Jeremy , you know it will be a good one.  I bought a Ken Rad vt231 from him and a Sylvania chrome top.  The Sylvania is  a great tube, use that alot to conserve the Ken Rad.   Recently tried the 7193 tubes, they are single triodes, require an adapter and they are a blast.  I was lucky enough to get a matched pair of Ken Rad's from 1942 and they sound awesome.  I would not spend the kind of money on the tubes you listed.  If you have some extra cash (after you listen to the Sylvania for awhile) you can try this...

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #460 of 3,354
Wow. You have me interested. Where can i see this adapter? I take it you need an adapter and board with two sockets? Or is the entire thing one big adapter? Very interested in learning more about that.

Yeah I agree about the cost of those tubes above but I wouldn't buy them new anyway. I'd wait and find a deal somewhere.

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #461 of 3,354
Can someone recommend me some good 12au7 tubes for my Solstice??? Thx.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #462 of 3,354
  Wow. You have me interested. Where can i see this adapter? I take it you need an adapter and board with two sockets? Or is the entire thing one big adapter? Very interested in learning more about that.

Yeah I agree about the cost of those tubes above but I wouldn't buy them new anyway. I'd wait and find a deal somewhere.

The recommended one is here......http://www.ebay.com/itm/191551519526?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  it only took about 8 days to get to Michigan from China.  Nice quality and the leads are marked.  You might also want to follow this thread for more info you can start on this page, it is JGlatz that started this build.....http://diyah.boards.net/thread/143/project-ember?page=77.  Join up lots of good info and solderdude is a great electronics wiz and Jeremy also frequents, lots of other forums there as well.  As far as the tubes I would go for the Ken Rads, try to get them a close match.  Need a pair.  Good luck

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #463 of 3,354

The recommended one is here......http://www.ebay.com/itm/191551519526?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  it only took about 8 days to get to Michigan from China.  Nice quality and the leads are marked.  You might also want to follow this thread for more info you can start on this page, it is JGlatz that started this build.....http://diyah.boards.net/thread/143/project-ember?page=77.  Join up lots of good info and solderdude is a great electronics wiz and Jeremy also frequents, lots of other forums there as well.  As far as the tubes I would go for the Ken Rads, try to get them a close match.  Need a pair.  Good luck

Cool thanks. Ive been a member there for a little while actually. Will stop by.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #464 of 3,354
  Can someone recommend me some good 12au7 tubes for my Solstice??? Thx.

I have several 12au7 tubes. Of them I like the Westinghouse black plates. Pretty mellow tubes. In fact I think all 12au7 tubes tend to be on the mellow side. Just smooth through the entire FR. I actually prefer the higher gain of the 12AT and 12AX tubes. More sparkly highs, tighter deeper bass, fantastic mids. (depending on tubes of course.) My preferred brands are Amperex, and Telefunken 1950's through early 1960's.

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #465 of 3,354

I have several 12au7 tubes. Of them I like the Westinghouse black plates. Pretty mellow tubes. In fact I think all 12au7 tubes tend to be on the mellow side. Just smooth through the entire FR. I actually prefer the higher gain of the 12AT and 12AX tubes. More sparkly highs, tighter deeper bass, fantastic mids. (depending on tubes of course.) My preferred brands are Amperex, and Telefunken 1950's through early 1960's.

I've had similar experience with the 12AU7 and 12AX7 tubes.  I tried and liked some of the new tubes being produced, Tung-sol, Electro Harmonix, and Gold Lion.  Still haven't gotten the adapter for rolling 6SN7 tubes so I can't comment on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back