Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jun 16, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #482 of 3,354
I've found the differences between the 6SN7's I have to be relatively subtle. What they do all have though, compared to the 9-pin's, is air. The sound is more spacious & it's easier (for me) to follow individual instruments on more complex music. Beck's Sea Change for instance. While it loses a little bit of it's intimacy when switching to the 6SN7 it gains in apparent detail. And although the sound has more space, the bass still has the same - if not more - authority as it does with the 9's.

As ever though, YMMV.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #483 of 3,354
i had the same feeling about the 6sn7, very well said zorrofox
L3000.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #485 of 3,354

I'm honestly not a big fan of the 6DJ8 tube. Let me explain though. I really like the higher gain from the 12AT and 12AX tubes so I tend to prefer those. The bugle boy 6DJ8 sounds really really good. In fact I would put it against my other bugle boys and SQ wise they are about equal. They sound quite a bit alike, only the 12AX gets louder. I guess thats the best way to describe it.

Honestly this 6DJ8 is one of the very best tubes I own even though I rarely use it. It handles the entire FR very well, clean, really good tight bass, wonderful highs and mids that make me smile, BUT I can get that very same sound in one of my 12AX bugle boys. I will admit that the 6dj8 might be ever so slightly cleaner sounding due to the lower gain maybe? Not sure. Ultimately it works well in the Ember for me. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe my ears are tuned to liking that sound. :)

+1, the gain on the 12XXX series is higher so you get a more useful range.  Also the 12XXX series is a lot cheaper than 6DJ8/6922 series from what I've seen so far.

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #486 of 3,354
Over the last few months I've bought 25+ tubes for my Ember and of the several 6SN7s I would call my favorites a couple are actually 6CG7s.  Electrically the 6CG7 is the same as the 6SN7 but in the smaller 9 pin bottle, meaning you can try out the 6SN7 sound without having to buy the adapter.  You want the 6CG7 with the shield between the plates and not the 6FQ7 (which is a newer design which doesn't have the shield). 

The Tung-Sol black plates (often labeled GE or CBS) & Sylvania black plates with three holes & silver shield (often labeled Motorola) are pretty nice and can be found at reasonable prices.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #487 of 3,354
  Over the last few months I've bought 25+ tubes for my Ember and of the several 6SN7s I would call my favorites a couple are actually 6CG7s.  Electrically the 6CG7 is the same as the 6SN7 but in the smaller 9 pin bottle, meaning you can try out the 6SN7 sound without having to buy the adapter.  You want the 6CG7 with the shield between the plates and not the 6FQ7 (which is a newer design which doesn't have the shield). 

The Tung-Sol black plates (often labeled GE or CBS) & Sylvania black plates with three holes & silver shield (often labeled Motorola) are pretty nice and can be found at reasonable prices.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll check out the 6CG7 tube

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #488 of 3,354
thanks for this marvellous Ember Jeremy and Frans, and thanks Glatz for your intro to 7193 tubes...... I have my adapter for the 7193 tubes and i must say that the difference on My speakers is evidently immediate.... The 7193 Ken-rad made them more vividly musical on all the frequencies...A New Small paradise with the same Ember...I can assure you that there is no comparison for me between the stock tube and the 7193 and the 7193 are better than my 6sn7 also ......i will make another report for my headphone listenings..
L3000.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #489 of 3,354
the effect of the 7193 on the he 400 headphone are more spectacular than with the Monsoon.....Wow the soundstage are more open more three-d all frequencies more definite......I am in awe... i think that its the fist time i listen my he 400....  thanks to all of you here.....

Jun 18, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #491 of 3,354
  Damn you Richard...I didn't want to hear that...or did I? Guess another adpater and tube need to be ordered.
blink.gif

i am sorry for your wallet  but i must speak to future Ember owner
atsmile.gif
......Dont waste money on tubes except 7193 tubes.....i had purchase  200 hundred dollars of standard tubes and a batch or 2 of 6sn7 ......Only 2 ken-rads will be necessary and an adapter....no comparison of the 7193 with the others tubes : amperex ,bugle boy , mullard , telefunken. dont waste money they are variation in sound between them , YES ,some are better, YES...... But the Ember is a made in heaven for the 7193 tubes....i had read all the internet, not one person purchasing the 7193 are going back to standard tubes or the 6sn7.... Not one...
smile_phones.gif
I understand them.... After 15 months its the first time i listen my he 400.. They are on par with basic stax  and i prefer them ....with the 7193 tubes...

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #493 of 3,354
Yes Amish this is the two 7193 tube with adapter.  This is the best I have heard from the Ember.  Great investment.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #494 of 3,354
  So is this that dual tube adapter thing Ive been seeing lately? Running two tubes? Is that what you have now Richard?

yes....like connieflyer says
atsmile.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #495 of 3,354
The Ember is so good an amp......no official review compare it with the 7193 tubes against other amps..There exist no review of the Ember at his best....Personaly i am sure that amp costing between 500 and 1000 dollars are not real upgrade but more sidegrade...i will buy in next 15 month the best amp in the world for the price... The MicroZOTL, that will be an upgrade (1100 dollars)... no other amp less than 1000 dollars will be...
biggrin.gif
  and perhaps your pagoda Amish  in some time to come...i hope so
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back