Project Ember Tube Rolling
Jun 27, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #511 of 3,354
  I kept reading about the impedance switch...and I thought "WHERE is this thing?!" 

Well, I finally found it. I take it that I remove the plastic piece and replace it where I want it? For low, or high? It's set to medium.

I need to pick up some Deoxit eventually. That stuff is expensive, man!

You don't need a lot of the Deoxit, the 7.4ml bottle has lasted me about 2 years and there is still about half left, don't get the spray, the brush works better and get good lint free cleaning cloths like a microfiber or the ones they used to clean tape heads or transport rollers.
When changing the impedance switch remember to set both to the same setting and you can do this while the amp is in use so you can hear the changes quickly.

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #512 of 3,354

i had bought more than 40 tubes in all.... for the moment i had only one noisy.....
rolleyes.gif

I was thinking that I bought too many tubes but after seeing you are a 40 I don't feel so bad, 21 pairs for my Lyr2, 23 driver tubes for Ember/Crack and 6 power tubes for the Crack: total 61.  Just had one of my 6080's go bad, one channel doesn't work.

Has anyone tried 6922 / 6DJ8 / 6N23P / ECC88 / E88CC family of tubes in the Ember?  I've had mixed results so far and only a few of the really good NOS tubes like Telefunken CCa, Siemens Lorenz, Amperex Holland Bugle Boy, and Sylvania Jan seem to sound great but since I'm only using one of the match pairs (bought for my Lyr2) its a waste.

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #513 of 3,354
I know this might sound stupid but I'll only buy the 7193 adapter when it's built on a black PCB.

No noisy valves here either by the way.

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #514 of 3,354
  I was thinking that I bought too many tubes but after seeing you are a 40 I don't feel so bad, 21 pairs for my Lyr2, 23 driver tubes for Ember/Crack and 6 power tubes for the Crack: total 61.  Just had one of my 6080's go bad, one channel doesn't work.

Has anyone tried 6922 / 6DJ8 / 6N23P / ECC88 / E88CC family of tubes in the Ember?  I've had mixed results so far and only a few of the really good NOS tubes like Telefunken CCa, Siemens Lorenz, Amperex Holland Bugle Boy, and Sylvania Jan seem to sound great but since I'm only using one of the match pairs (bought for my Lyr2) its a waste.

i wish someone had said to me in the beginning dont buy any tubes except 7193 .....
L3000.gif
i would had saved 2 hundred dollars or more i guess.... But the appreciation and experience have a cost....How do you appreciate for yourself if you go straight to the right tube for someone else? How do you know that its the best tube for yourself? i guess someone must minimally explore possibilities for himself....and most importantly read on the net about these tubes... i had bought after reading all others experience.....i dont like tube rolling  and i am glad that this experience are in the past for me... Its difficult to imagine better than the 7193.... For my monsoon or for my he400
atsmile.gif

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #515 of 3,354

i wish someone had said to me in the beginning dont buy any tubes except 7193 .....
L3000.gif
i would had saved 2 hundred dollars or more i guess.... But the appreciation and experience have a cost....How do you appreciate for yourself if you go straight to the right tube for someone else? How do you know that its the best tube for yourself? i guess someone must minimally explore possibilities for himself....and most importantly read on the net about these tubes... i had bought after reading all others experience.....i dont like tube rolling  and i am glad that this experience are in the past for me... Its difficult to imagine better than the 7193.... For my monsoon or for my he400
atsmile.gif

+1
Well said

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #516 of 3,354
I agree in general but the joy of travel is in the journey, not the destination. As someone more famous than I once said.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #518 of 3,354
I agree in general but the joy of travel is in the journey, not the destination. As someone more famous than I once said

I am totally in accord with that famous observation..... the tube rolling activies was fun, yes, but i am not very rich, and it was costly.... and  finally the 7193 was superior for me to such extent,to all my other tubes, amperex, telefunken, mullard, and the 6sn7 (sylvanias and others in thi family)... With big money i would had enjoy the travel more, but i am relatively poor, i am glad that this journey ended with the final discovery with the EmBer
popcorn.gif
But your remark is clever than my regret, because without the journey there is no appreciation of the discovery

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #519 of 3,354

I just got Ember last week and also bought five tubes to roll. To me, I like GE 6DJ8 more than RCA 6SN7. To me, 6DJ8 is more energetic compare to RCA 6SN7.....just my personal taste.

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #521 of 3,354

Interesting, can you provide more info on the GE 6DJ8 if you have any?

Sorry but I am pretty new to the Tube Rolling world, I am not sure what kind of info you want to know. I ordered it from GARAGE 1217.

All the tubes I got from Jeremy are 12au7(stock), 6sn7 (rca cleartop), 6n6p, 6n2p and GE smoked glass 6dj8. I think they all sound different in certain point but I prefer the sound of 6sn7 and 6dj8. To me, 6sn7 is very smooth yet very detailed. And I am not sure if all the 6sn7 will sound similar or clearly different. And like I said, 6dj8 to me is more energetic compare to the 6sn7 especially when I listen some vocal records, the voice just feel like has more energy....and sorry I don't know how to describe it accordingly but you probably get what I mean lol

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #522 of 3,354
I currently have 21 tubes. Many of the tubes I have are valuable and I hate to admit how much money I have invested in them...so I won't.

That said and in hind sight I have to agree that buying all those tubes allowed me to really appreciate the gems I bought out of the entire bunch. But I don't need all these tubes. A couple Telefunkens, a couple bugle boys, a couple sylvanias and I'd be good. But since I have a bunch of tubes I do tend to pop them in and out on a regular basis. It's fun!

For the most part though I am done buying tubes. I doubt I'll even try the frankenember. I'm sure its awesome but since I haven't heard it I can safetly assume it's no better and maybe worse than what I already have. :)

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #523 of 3,354
I'm with you on the FrankenEmber. It just doesn't do it for me. I shouldn't say it but to me aesthetics matter.

My best valve so far is my..

1945 General Electric 6SN7GT VT-231

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #524 of 3,354
i wish not to be a demon..... i will not say that the 7193 are way better than the 6sn7 that are for me way better than the amperex, bugle boy etc.... i dont have said anything and i am not here.....By the way  the Franken Ember is beautiful on my desk....that i will say and that only...
ph34r.gif

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #525 of 3,354
I'm with you on the FrankenEmber. It just doesn't do it for me. I shouldn't say it but to me aesthetics matter.

My best valve so far is my..

1945 General Electric 6SN7GT VT-231

I have to say I agree. Looks mean something to me as well and the Frankenember looks badass in a way but is not pleasing to my eyes. I'd not want it on my desk. This is no slam to those that like the look though. It's just my opinion.

@richard51

Honestly to me the 6SN7 is not an upgrade over a couple of my bugle boys and vintage telefunken tubes. 6sn7 is more open, solid bass, pretty much great throughout the FR but I don't get the 3d effect and gain that I love from my other vintage 12ax, at and bh tubes.

My latest 6sn7 (1946 RCA) is one of the best tubes I have heard but I can't say it's better than a couple of my 12xx7 tubes. It's a close one though and depends on what kind of music I'm listening to at any given time and what mood I'm in.

Enjoy your Frankenember. I'd love to hear one sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back